• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

2 Computers and 1 External Hard Drive

Jeff R 1

Both machine are running W8.1 pro, the HTPC is a tower and stays put while the other is a laptop. When backing up Blu-rays or saving rentals for viewing later I use the laptop. I use the laptop so I don't waste lamp life on the projector when adding and deleting ISO files.
I delete the rentals with the laptop once I've seen them and use Imgburn to create new ISO's to watch on the HTPC.
When I put the hard drive back into the HTPC, the deleted movies show up and the ones I just added are not there. If I click on the deleted ones I get an error that the path doesn't exist because they actually have been deleted.
I have to right click, go to properties, tools and repair the drive. The first scan show no errors so I have to force windows to do a deeper scan, upon which it finds errors and when done, I have to reboot.
After the reboot things are still not right, I have to force Windows to do another scan, upon which it fixes more errors and then finally the deleted movies are gone and the ones I added show up.

The HTPC has a hot swappable hard drive bay connected directly with a SATA connection, while the laptop has an external hot swappable bay connected through USB 2.

Is this some quirky thing that happens in W8/8.1 because I don't remember this happening in W7 ?

I would like to stay with W8.1, so if anyone has any solutions to this, that would be great ! :)

Last edited:
I think I solved it, my hot swappable USB hard drive bay is defective. I have a Vantec Nexstar bay (not hot swappable) and when I use that to create the ISO file, all the computes in the house see the file. It works through USB or directly connected to one of the SATA ports on the MoBo.

Very strange behavior for a hard drive bay, one would think it would either work or not. I do know that it stopped working through ESATA, but I thought the cable was defective because there is a bad factory kink in it from the way it was packaged, but I guess the cable's fine.

The bay that failed is an Info-Safe brand by StarTech.com. I don't even think it's a year old yet, I'll see if I can get a refund or a store credit anyway.

Back