• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Download file size

Tigers2024

After a 1080p download the file size is rather large. What is the best software to get to compress file to like around 2.0 GB. Thank you

You can use basically any converter, but if you shrink it down to 2GB you can download 720p right away and save both disc space and the hassle of converting it afterwards.

That aside, people recommend Handbrake, you can use ffmpeg (command line tool) to automate stuff with scripts and then there are several other programs. I like Shana Encoder because you can set it based on CRF level there (quality level instead of bitrate) and copy the audio.

You can use basically any converter, but if you shrink it down to 2GB you can download 720p right away and save both disc space and the hassle of converting it afterwards.

That aside, people recommend Handbrake, you can use ffmpeg (command line tool) to automate stuff with scripts and then there are several other programs. I like Shana Encoder because you can set it based on CRF level there (quality level instead of bitrate) and copy the audio.
So you like Shana over Handbrake? I have some VC-1 bluray rips I want to convert to H264 with as little degradation as possible. I was going to use handbrake, but maybe I should give Shana a try.

So you like Shana over Handbrake?
Well, when I looked at it some years back, it felt too complicated and so on. Shana can be set to use Quality/Quantitizer instead of just CBR, can copy the audio instead of recoding it as well and you can save your settings as a preset. You can also tonemap HDR to SDR, which you need when you want to convert 4k BDs with HDR, but it (of course?) takes longer then. You can also burn in subs, but the downside is that you have to merge them into one file if they are external. It is not possible to just select the .srt or .ass file.
Some other thing that provided me trouble, if the subs have special fonts, you need to extract them (MKVCleaver) and install them. If it cannot find the fonts in your system, it can't render it correctly. I always just thought the programs (others couldn't do it as well) are not working correctly, until I finally installed them (maybe because I wanted to try them in Word) and then noticed that it works now.
Of course it is possible that Handbrake can do all of that as well and has no problem with the embedded fonts, but I now use Shana for maybe two years and it just works. Also, since I have a RAMDisk I just tell MakeMKV to put the file with merged subs there and don't need to destroy my SSD because of that.

Does anyone else here use TMPGEnc? That's the one that I use. It isn't free, but I love it. My only gripe with it is it doesn't allow switchable subtitles.

I've been using them since I was burning Video CDs back in the day.

It's definitely in English. 😅

The free version is old and outdated. I think it only does MPEG1 and 2.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I was just offering another option. If Handbrake is free, then that's probably the better option for the OP. I do a lot of video work though and TMPGEnc does a lot and it's worth the hefty price tag for me.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I was just offering another option. If Handbrake is free, then that's probably the better option for the OP. I do a lot of video work though and TMPGEnc does a lot and it's worth the hefty price tag for me.
Its been around for ages. Many people are aware of this program. I haven't even thought about it for ages, but now that you mentioned it, it was always a good program.

I just changed the thread to a discussion, so you didn't hijack anything. 😉

don't need to destroy my SSD because of that.
How big is that SSD?
I bought a 4TB in 2019 and have 138 TB written to it as of now, and I use that drive A LOT saving BD rips and AS downloads to it before storing to the NAS.
With a TBW of 2400 I could go like that for another 50 years :dance:

Of course smaller drives have a way lower TBW :rolleyes:

Last edited:
How big is that SSD?
I bought a 4TB in 2019 and have 138 TB written to it as of now, and I use that drive A LOT saving BD rips and AS downloads to it befoe storing to the NAS.
With a TBW of 2400 I could go like that for another 50 years :dance:

Of course smaller drives have a way lower TBW :rolleyes:
In 50 years that drive will be in a museum, and it will be PBW by then, so how many Petabytes can you write in a year on an SSD 50 years from now? :unsure:

How big is that SSD?
I use a 1TB SSD as my D drive. Yes, I also alredy ripped and downloaded a lot on there and in fact two HDDs died(?) in the meantime but the SSD didn't. But when I can prevent some GB without any hassle, then why not.

I wish more set-top media players handled AV1. That's the next big thing until we eventually get h266 or vp10.
My first sentence -- do any of them handle that yet? I have not powered up my Nvidia Shield in some time to see if Kodi decodes it.

Back