• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Upscale 720P to 1080P

NutFlush920

With encryption getting tougher and more content being available in 720P as the best, what do y’all think about purchasing other software to upscale the content? I prefer to have everything at 1080P if possible and have even passed on Disney and Hulu downloads going for rentals on Amazon.

Are you asking about software that can re-encode your 720p content into 1080p or software that will upscale it whilst it plays? All players or screens would perform some level of upscaling so I wouldn't recommend re-encoding a lossy format into another lossy format (which will likely also increase its file size) unless your encoder can perform some marvelous upscaling technique.

I don’t want to list the software name here as it might violate rules. You basically load the file and tell it what you want then it does the rest to upscale it to the new quality file.

The AI method RedFox 1 mentions. It’s also not cheap.

I don’t want to list the software name here as it might violate rules. You basically load the file and tell it what you want then it does the rest to upscale it to the new quality file.

But worth every penny when you see the result.:)

Funny that you mentioned this, I'm running a program in the background that's doing upscaling of some Twilight Zone episodes that completed my collection with some episodes that were of lesser resolutions from Archive.org

It's taking about 1 1/2 each hours for each of the 21 files using AI upscaling to 2X 1152x864 size as H265.

I figured out that if you choose 1080 AI upscaling it only uses the GPU on some files in the software but if you choose the 2x option it uses the GPU and the CPU and takes about 1/3 the time and outputs a great version that plays really well on my home system.:)

It must be that upscaling a video of a non-standard size to 1080p is mathematically different process/algorithm from simply 2X'ing it and has to use the GPU only and isn't written for CPU too.

I did this on one movie that I liked a lot (7 Faces of Dr. Lao - Tony Randall) with a 720x404 Res as 2X (1440x808) and the resulting output is *really* nice and seems like a whole new version with it's clarity and focus.

It's great for breathing new life into some old movies you might have really liked and the output is fantastic.

The AI upscaling is very GPU/CPU intensive and the time will relate to your video card.

I have a RTX 2070 super, it's ok, but I wish I could afford a RTX 3080 or 3090 - maybe next year.

I just paid $129 to complete my software suite of a product that includes these AI upscaling and AI Smoothing modules.

The kicker is that if you have a friend that owns this product you can get them to buy you full Lifetime suite of all the products that include the AI upscaling/AI Smoothing modules as "A Gift" for $69 and includes a free $30 Amazon gift card, so it's like $39!

I'd do this soon if you're considering due to software companies introducing and moving to subscription based services.

It normally would cost you $259 for the entire suite of lifetime licensed products.

The choices I have of AI upscaling are 1X, 2X, 480p, 720p, 1080p & 4K.

So really a 720p 2x conversion should go to 1440 with about 1/3 the time if you AI Upscaled to 1080p...

Haven't tested this yet on a 720p file (just purchased today) to 2X vs 1080 for time yet, but I did do a test of Cocoon that I had as 856x464 to 1080p that took over 8 1/2 hours!

Cocoon 856x464 AI upscaled to 2X size took 1/3 the time as doing it to 1080p because it used GPU *and* CPU on my RTX 2070 Super.

I'll probably only use the 2X for now and 1080p (when I get a better Graphics card 3080 or 3090) due to conversion time.

Mike

Last edited:
I have a program that does it and I have had fantastic results but as I said its very slow. I had films from 1911 and transformed them into 4K.

If it's the program I'm thinking of, I'm using the same package to upscale classic Star Trek episodes from 1080p to 4K. Got all of the first two seasons done, and currently working my way through the third and final season. It's taking me a solid 13-14 hours per episode, but the results are absolutely stunning.

All this sounds so very interesting and fun! Can someone PM the name of the software? I am dying to research it.

for heavily compressed content with compression artefacts with simultaneous upscaling I use Topaz Video AI hereby I create the material which I then create with Premiere and Premiere MediaEncoder to 4K with HDR

here's an insight
》》4K HDR

So I just tried the latest episode of 9-1-1 off Hulu. It’s 720P and like 44 minutes long. It would take 2 days and 17 hours to do 1080P on my 2015 15” MacBook Pro. Definitely not worth it in my opinion. Thanks all for your input.

So I just tried the latest episode of 9-1-1 off Hulu. It’s 720P and like 44 minutes long. It would take 2 days and 17 hours to do 1080P on my 2015 15” MacBook Pro. Definitely not worth it in my opinion. Thanks all for your input.

Sorry... o_O

Does the software you're testing allow 2X conversion (to 2560x1440) for that Hulu episode?

Just download 9-1-1 SE10E01 with AnyStream to test from Hulu and fired it up in AI Upscaler here (Win10/64 pro RTX Super 2070" to 2X (2560x1440) H265) and it estimates a little over 2 hours for me.

I'm sure if I choose 1080p it'd be over 8 hours, but like I said 2X AI Scaling with the software I'm using is 1/3 the time since it uses GPU and CPU instead of just GPU for 1080p and really produces an excellent file.

Just fyi.

Sorry... o_O

Does the software you're testing allow 2X conversion (to 2560x1440) for that Hulu episode?

Just download 9-1-1 SE10E01 with AnyStream to test from Hulu and fired it up in AI Upscaler here (Win10/64 pro RTX Super 2070" to 2X (2560x1440) H265) and it estimates a little over 2 hours for me.

I'm sure if I choose 1080p it'd be over 8 hours, but like I said 2X AI Scaling with the software I'm using is 1/3 the time since it uses GPU and CPU instead of just GPU for 1080p and really produces an excellent file.

Just fyi.

Yes going to 2560X1440 has an ETA just as long. It’s going at 3.77 sec/frame. I even tried both graphics cards in my computer.

I only do this on old reel-to-reel movies that I turned into .mp4 and then upscaled. It literally takes so long that only special things are worthwhile. (for me)

I think this has turned into a Discussion and a good one at that. Would anyone mind if I moved it to The Chat sub-forum? I hope it continues and everyone has fun, it's a great discussion.

and there are also several advantages to the monkey skull, on the one hand you can make the editing dependent on the source quality, on the other hand it is many times faster and you can edit it and compare the effects directly

Unbenannt.jpg 1.jpg

I only do this on old reel-to-reel movies that I turned into .mp4 and then upscaled. It literally takes so long that only special things are worthwhile. (for me)

I think this has turned into a Discussion and a good one at that. Would anyone mind if I moved it to The Chat sub-forum? I hope it continues and everyone has fun, it's a great discussion.

Has anyone seen those YouTube channels that upscale very old film to 4k? I enjoy those much and I often wonder what that process is like and how much work or man hours are involved. Those are so interesting because they show life as it was in the late 1800's or early 1900's in amazing detail. How cool is that?

Code:
https://youtu.be/hZ1OgQL9_Cw

for heavily compressed content with compression artefacts with simultaneous upscaling I use Topaz Video AI hereby I create the material which I then create with Premiere and Premiere MediaEncoder to 4K with HDR

here's an insight
》》4K HDR

Topaz is the best I've found so far also....and depending on the video , it can be very slow. results depend on what you have to work with. A low quality, high bitrate file can work wonders.
Keep in mind...these programs are working on a frame by frame basis so that's also a consideration in speed.

In my opinion...you'll get better results going from 720p to 4K then reencoding to 1080p.

I enlarged the DVD images to 1080p for comparison...

5DqmcIP.jpg
Qb1UdKz.jpg

mKfxPrw.jpg
AVCZecj.jpg

WJUHoS0.jpg

bgS70u6.jpg
fUuQ9V5.jpg

I actually missed one and the frames are not exactly the same, but you can see the results of the AI software. YES...I did the entire series and it took a few months.

Back