• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best GUI encoder for UHD Blu-rays

@imhh1 - Thanks for all your help. Like a said before a UHD noob how as only every really used Handbrake. I see from the Bitstream options that you also have added repeat headers, no info, vui timing info, vui hrd info. Not sure what those do but I added those as well.

Just curious what x265 10bit CRF (Quality) value everyone is using as a staring point for UHD rips. 20? 22? Medium preset or slow? I will probably stick with medium as slow takes my 6700k 20+ hrs.

Lower crf the longer encode better quality for size. The higher crf the faster the encode the shitty it looks for size. 20hrs, shit..... I'm looking at 1440p HDR encodes will cut that in half. Save on hhd space too. I get my UHD friendly drive tomorrow. Time to encode HDR ......... Going to take awhile with 60 UHD movies:dance:

Max luma isnt the same thing as ''mastering display luminance''.

the Mastering display luminance is automatically set in the master display line (VUI tab):

View attachment 40731

Hello, I'm newbie to Staxrip encoding and I'm stuck with HDR to HDR encoding. When I load my HDR test file my VUI tab is empty.
Nothing is set automatically (am I doing something wrong?). If I have to set everything manually how to determine what values to write in
"Master Display" row?

Staxrip - 1.JPG

Media info from my test file:

Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primar : R: x=0.680000 y=0.320000, G: x=0.265000 y=0.690000, B: x=0.150000 y=0.060000, White point: x=0.312700 y=0.329000
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000.0000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 500 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Le : 200 cd/m2

Does it always have to be:
G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(40000000,50)?

Last edited:
Just curious what x265 10bit CRF (Quality) value everyone is using as a staring point for UHD rips. 20? 22? Medium preset or slow? I will probably stick with a medium as slow takes my 6700k 20+ hrs.
CRF 17 medium preset is good setting for encoding UHD-BD. take 16 to 20 hours on my i7 7700k

Hello, I'm newbie to Staxrip encoding and I'm stuck with HDR to HDR encoding. When I load my HDR test file my VUI tab is empty.
Nothing is set automatically (am I doing something wrong?). If I have to set everything manually how to determine what values to write in
"Master Display" row?

View attachment 40769

Mastering display color primar : R: x=0.680000 y=0.320000, G: x=0.265000 y=0.690000, B: x=0.150000 y=0.060000, White point: x=0.312700 y=0.329000

Is it Staxrip V1.7 ? only that version will set automatically the hdr metatada for ''master display'' ''color prim'' ''transfer cha'' and ''matrix coe''....

"Master Display" row?

View attachment 40769

- No it varies.

I this problem at first too. I am at work now so I can't tell you tell exact steps. But what I did is to change the source under filters to FFVideoSource and change the encoder from x264 to x265 BEFORE loading the source video. Then it will populate. I think under "Project" I selected Manual workflow. I then changed the source to FFVideoSource (right click on it), selected to crop, then set up my x265 settings. I then saved the project as UHD 10bit HDR (os something like that) and set is as my default. Do this before loading the video source and the VUI will populate. You can even enter the 1023 for Max Luma and save it with that value. Hope that helps.

upload_2018-1-21_10-36-42.png

there is an option to hardcode SRT subtitles but i never tried it.
Will Staxrip hard code subtitles in 10bit color? Ripbot264 won't do this currently and I'm researching avisynth plugins to try and find a workaround.

Let me know what you find out. I like to hard code or (burn in) foreign audio. The next encode I was going to do has I few lines of foreign audio on the third english sub track (not forced). But many movies have it on the same track (forced). I have been testing both Ripbot264 and Staxrip and I could find that option in Ripbot to hard code. Is it because I had 10 bit selected?

- No it varies.

I this problem at first too. I am at work now so I can't tell you tell exact steps. But what I did is to change the source under filters to FFVideoSource and change the encoder from x264 to x265 BEFORE loading the source video. Then it will populate. I think under "Project" I selected Manual workflow. I then changed the source to FFVideoSource (right click on it), selected to crop, then set up my x265 settings. I then saved the project as UHD 10bit HDR (os something like that) and set is as my default. Do this before loading the video source and the VUI will populate. You can even enter the 1023 for Max Luma and save it with that value. Hope that helps.

View attachment 40771

@imhh1
Yes I use Staxrip 1.7

Thanks CCaptain00, I'll try this when I get home (at work now too LOL)

Let me know what you find out. I like to hard code or (burn in) foreign audio. The next encode I was going to do has I few lines of foreign audio on the third english sub track (not forced). But many movies have it on the same track (forced). I have been testing both Ripbot264 and Staxrip and I could find that option in Ripbot to hard code. Is it because I had 10 bit selected?

It's under avisynth settings on the second menu list, to render subtitles. You can select it but it currently won't work under 10bit. 8 bit works fine. I've spent quite a few hours researching a solution but I have not found anything that works so far. I'm not at all familiar with avisynth so I'm learning as I go.

Just curious what x265 10bit CRF (Quality) value everyone is using as a staring point for UHD rips. 20? 22? Medium preset or slow? I will probably stick with medium as slow takes my 6700k 20+ hrs.

I run anywhere from 15-18. I adjust degraining (MDegrain2 actually) when I need to reduce the file size to what I want when I use 18. I only use 15-17 when the source is so clean, I want to increase the file size.

@CCaptain00

I tried your suggestion and everything is now set automatically under VUI tab except Maximum CLL and Maximum FALL.
Is that same with your setup or I have to do some more tweaking in Staxrip to get those values automatically?

Staxrip - 2.JPG

Thanks.

@CCaptain00

I tried your suggestion and everything is now set automatically under VUI tab except Maximum CLL and Maximum FALL.
Is that same with your setup or I have to do some more tweaking in Staxrip to get those values automatically?

View attachment 40782

Thanks.

Input Max CLL and Max FALL in manually with info from Mediainfo.

Thanks again @imhh1

Input Max CLL and Max FALL in manually with info from Mediainfo.

Thanks again @imhh1

Thanks for all your help CCaptain00.
So you have to put them manually too? I thought that maybe I was doing something wrong.

It's not problem to do it manually as long as the result is OK. Now I have onmedia info
so I was hoping you can help me with them (maybe you had similar situations).

Example 1:
Color range : Limited
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0000 cd/m2, max: 1000.0000 cd/m2

What to put for max CLL and max FALL in this case (since there is no data about that in info)? Do I just leave it on 0 (imhh1 actually wrote that on page 1 just would like confirmation)?

Example 2:

What now? There isn't any info about mastering display color, luminance nor Max CLL Max FALL.
What to do in this case? What values do I put for Master Display in VUI tab? Nothing or...?
Hope you had such problem too and you can help me.

I tested it without Master Display setting and Without Max CLL & FALL and it looked OK but I want some confirmation from someone with more experience. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help CCaptain00.
So you have to put them manually too? I thought that maybe I was doing something wrong.

It's not problem to do it manually as long as the result is OK. Now I have onmedia info
so I was hoping you can help me with them (maybe you had similar situations).

Example 1:
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0000 cd/m2, max: 1000.0000 cd/m2

What to put for max CLL and max FALL in this case (since there is no data about that in info)? Do I just leave it on 0 (imhh1 actually wrote that on page 1 just would like confirmation)?

Example 2:

What now? There isn't any info about mastering display color, luminance nor Max CLL Max FALL.
What to do in this case? What values do I put for Master Display in VUI tab? Nothing or...?

I tested it without Master Display setting and Without Max CLL & FALL and it looked OK but I want some confirmation from someone with more experience. Thanks.

yes leave it to 0, many movies have maxfall maxcll at 0
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...u4UI_yp7sxOVPIccob6fRe85_A/edit#gid=184653968

Example 2:

Totally normal.
Some movies like Terminator 2 dont even have a master display line.
''Transfer characteristics: PQ'' is what trigger HDR

Leave blank. It sounds like if the value is 0 then it it will use your displays defaults. If the source wasn't mastered with those values I would not make up values to put in. If your source is a UHD Blu-ray then the studio that mastered it didn't want to do the work or spend the money. Those values are measured.

MaxCLL Metadata - Maximum Content Light Level - An integer metadata value defining the maximum light level, in nits, of any single pixel within an encoded HDR video stream or file. MaxCLL should be measured during or after mastering. However if you keep your color grade within the MaxCLL of your display’s HDR range, and add a hard clip for the light levels beyond your display’s maximum value, you can use your display’s maximum CLL as your metadata MaxCLL value.

MaxFALL Metadata - Maximum Frame Average Light Level - An integer metadata value defining the maximum average light level, in nits, for any single frame within an encoded HDR video stream or file. MaxFALL is calculated by averaging the decoded brightness values of all pixels within each frame (that is, converting the digital value of each frame into its corresponding nits value, and averaging all of the nits values within each frame).

MaxFALL is an important value to consider in mastering and color grading, and is usually lower than the MaxCLL value. The two values combined define how bright any individual pixel within a frame can be, and how bright the frame as a whole can be.

Displays are limited differently on both of those values, though typically only the peak (single pixel) brightness of a display is reported. As pixels get brighter and approach their peak output, they draw more power and heat up. With current technology levels, no display can push all of its pixels into the maximum HDR brightness level at the same time - the power draw would be extremely high, and the heat generated would severely damage the display.

As a result, displays will abruptly notch down the overall image brightness when the frame average brightness exceeds the rated MaxFALL, to keep the image under the safe average brightness level, regardless of what the peak brightness of the display or encoded image stream may be.

For example, while the BVM-X300 has a peak value of 1000 nits for any given pixel (MaxCLL = 1000), on average, the frame brightness cannot exceed about 180 nits (MaxFALL = 180). The MaxCLL and MaxFALL metadata included in the HDR 10 media profile allows consumer displays to adjust the entire stream’s brightness to match their own display limits.

Last edited:
Back