• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Conversion Software

BiTs2000

I currently use AVS4YOU software for converting to WMP when playing my movies. Is there better software to convert movies? I have them all on my hard drive so I can pull them up at any time.

Thanks....

There's tons and tons of converters. There's just no way to say, everything depends on personal preference. What i may find good for me, you can possibly find absolutely horrible to use.

depends on what my target is, i've got the VSO-Software suite for most of itand then some other small tools if i just need a demux/remux done to change container.

I use AVS4YOU software too, and the only problem I've had is the audio out of sync, but it seems to be fixed now. I like the software, pretty easy to use. I would recommend it, but if you are having problems, just post it on their forum, and they are pretty fast getting back to you. IMO

you don't need AVS4YOU software anyway, to backup your DVD to HD. Why you want to back it up to a WMP makes zero sense. All you need is DVDSHRINK to compress to HD, and IMGBURN to burn (if you want to put it on a DVD-R). If you don't want to compress, then ANYDVD rip to HD does that.

I use AVS4You to convert my movies to WMV and I put them on my hard drive so I can watch the movies at any time without pulling my disc out after going through all of them. This way I can watch any movies that I have on my tv. Just some of the quality using AVS4YOU isn't all that good on some movies. That is all. I use Cyberlink Power DVD 16 to play the movies.

WMP can be used with Windows Media Player, or Classic WMP (much better), or Cyberlink. I have many players that can play a DVD structured file. I want to have the backup with chapters and a menu, so I convert to a DVD format. it's a matter of choice, if I stay with a DVD structure, then my stand a lone dvd player will play it from a dvd-r disc. I would rather have a MP4 file, if you want a single file, but that is my choice.

I use AVS4You to convert my movies to WMV and I put them on my hard drive so I can watch the movies at any time without pulling my disc out after going through all of them. This way I can watch any movies that I have on my tv. Just some of the quality using AVS4YOU isn't all that good on some movies. That is all. I use Cyberlink Power DVD 16 to play the movies.
I am obviously out of the loop here; why convert to be able to play a file from AnyDVD on your HDD?
I click on the file AnyDVD makes and it plays in Win Media Player or VLC, whatever.
I am not sure why any conversion is needed.
Can someone please explain to me what I'm missing?

Philbert, some people want a smaller file that looks great on a tablet, or a 40 inch screen. Then others want no distortion/poor picture quality on a 80 inch 4k screen. Some of those want to be able to save files in .iso format of the best quality that will fit on a blu ray disc that they can watch from the .iso format from a hard drive, but still have the capability of burning to a disc, whether 25 or 50 GB size. Others want to use only a HDD to save to, they may want to keep high quality, or can't tell the difference if they compress the size a little. By the time they fill a HDD close to capacity, they buy a new HDD of twice the size for less than they paid for the full drive. I have done most of those except for the 80 inch tv, or the 50 GB discs.

Don't forget that some simply want to convert to a portable file for streaming, use on smartphone, tablet,...

I am obviously out of the loop here; why convert to be able to play a file from AnyDVD on your HDD?
I click on the file AnyDVD makes and it plays in Win Media Player or VLC, whatever.
I am not sure why any conversion is needed.
Can someone please explain to me what I'm missing?

I always shrink or compress the DVD to HD in DVD structure, not BD I don't use BD source DVD, so I can choose just the movie without all the DVD extras and crap. The only time I use ANYDVD to backup to HD (which is not compressed, as Chevron said), is when ANYDVD has to fix a structure type of protection, because DVD SHRINK will not work if a structure security is present. I do that, because it saves space on my HD, and keeps it the size of a DVD-R blank disc, without any noticeable reduction in quality IMO. I burn many DVD-Rs, so my GF can view the backup, or I can watch the movie on a standard DVD player. I could just watch the HD movie directly from my HDMI connection to TV, but I like to have a DVD-R backup too, and that is a personal choice, the blank discs are so cheap, that doing that is not a big expense, and I have a secondary backup.

wowszer:
The post was on DVD though, so BD isn't a factor.
Yes, I know about mpg files, and mp4, having software just for that, portable for phones and such...but there is a definite quality loss in a 6.75 gb disc converted to 4.35gb, and as I have 5 boxes of remaining DVDs that are bulky AND heavy...and the 9 hard drives I have (17TBs of movies) are all DVD files but take up almost no space and are NOT heavy...ready for the Hermit life on a mountaintop or just small and easy to deal with. Believe it or not, all 3,000 of my DVDs are on my laptop through use of powered USB hubs and I just click on the icon of the drive, choose a movie, and watch it.
So I was just curious if I was missing something...I'm not; just different choices on what entails a person's viewing preference.
So thanks for sharing, folks.

Anydvd doesn't convert.
No one said it did...?

Last edited:
I always shrink or compress the DVD to HD in DVD structure, not BD I don't use BD source DVD, so I can choose just the movie without all the DVD extras and crap. The only time I use ANYDVD to backup to HD (which is not compressed, as Chevron said), is when ANYDVD has to fix a structure type of protection, because DVD SHRINK will not work if a structure security is present. I do that, because it saves space on my HD, and keeps it the size of a DVD-R blank disc, without any noticeable reduction in quality IMO. I burn many DVD-Rs, so my GF can view the backup, or I can watch the movie on a standard DVD player. I could just watch the HD movie directly from my HDMI connection to TV, but I like to have a DVD-R backup too, and that is a personal choice, the blank discs are so cheap, that doing that is not a big expense, and I have a secondary backup.
I use Shrink without AnyDVD on protected DVDs and it does work...although the reauthor is the choice I am usually using. Takes a bit longer, but before using 8.0.3.1 I used it to make movie only copies of Criminal, HG:Mockingjay2, etc.; pesky Lionsgate releases!

I just put my obviously Taiwan (bought on Ebay years ago) collection of Space:Above and Beyond on my HDDs, using Shrink full menu (not encrypted discs), as CloneDVD was having issues copying them...no AnyDVD but it wasn't needed. Worked great...it's a backup software and really useful.

Last edited:
You use DVD Shrink on protected DVDs without ANYDVD, and it works? you gotta be kidding.

Even though shrink is massively outdated, it still works if you follow the right procedure. For most dvd's nowadays thats rip first, process with shrink later.

What do you mean, by "right procedure"? I've never had Shrink work without Anydvd running, and if the DVD has structural protection, you have to use Anydvd to rip to HD, and then use Shrink. you know that. so what am I missing, I do this all the time.

that ripping to hd IS the right procedure. Not everyone does it, we still see the frequent forum topics where ppl use shrink directly from the disc and it fails because it can't handle structural protection.

Back