• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Will CloneBD create a 3D movie that will play as frame packed?

CountryBumkin

I am ripping some of my 3D BD movies with makeMKV now, but when I go to play the movie (with madVR) it plays as Side-by-Side (which then requires that I manually switch my TV to 3D SBS mode.

Will (or should) a mkv rip playback as frame packed? Is this something CloneBD will be able to do in the future?

I've read that frame packed is the normal mode a physical BD disk plays in and my TV doesn't require any manual intervention (no switching to SBS) to play it.

Not yet, frame packed (portable file or full disc) is on the todo list. Currently only SBS is supported.

Thanks for posting back.
That will be a great day for seamless 3d viewing when CloneBD does frame packed. :)

Yes, quite a few of us are looking forward to it. With lav filters and madvr now supporting framepacked 3D in both blu-ray and mkv formats, getting this support will be the last piece in a very complex, but awesome, puzzle. I can tell you that madvr 3D is absolutely stunning so this will be great to get on the completed checklist whenever they get to it.

With lav filters and madvr now supporting framepacked 3D in both blu-ray and mkv formats....
What is "blu-ray format" in this context. Are you saying this program can play a physical 3D Blu-Ray disk?

I'm interested in this info because I currently use Plex and I am anxiously searching for an all-in-one solution for playing all my regular media AS WELL as my 3D movies somehow. I can rip them as MVC-MKV or ISO, but prefer just the main movie and full resolution. Currently I rip/play them as TAB/SBS files which is not full 1080 resolution.

Thanks for any info!

What is "blu-ray format" in this context. Are you saying this program can play a physical 3D Blu-Ray disk?

I'm interested in this info because I currently use Plex and I am anxiously searching for an all-in-one solution for playing all my regular media AS WELL as my 3D movies somehow. I can rip them as MVC-MKV or ISO, but prefer just the main movie and full resolution. Currently I rip/play them as TAB/SBS files which is not full 1080 resolution.

Thanks for any info!

With the right player, yes, indeed it can play a physical blu-ray disc (obviously with the protection removed ala AnyDVD). I use J River MC but MPC-HC can also do it if you're looking for freeware. Pop the disc in, let AnyDVD remove the protection, and play the disc with your chosen player with those filters installed and you're good to go. It looks amazing with madvr, btw.

Also, ripping as MKV using the right ripper will also give you movie only full quality 3D. I use MakeMKV for the very moment until CloneBD catches up, but, once it adds support for frame packed 3D in MKV format, we're golden there, as well. Then you really can build your library like I do as MKV's with full quality. That's why I chose J River MC for its library management.

Last edited:
With the right player, yes, indeed it can play a physical blu-ray disc (obviously with the protection removed ala AnyDVD). I use J River MC but MPC-HC can also do it if you're looking for freeware. Pop the disc in, let AnyDVD remove the protection, and play the disc with your chosen player with those filters installed and you're good to go. It looks amazing with madvr, btw.

Also, ripping as MKV using the right ripper will also give you movie only full quality 3D. I use MakeMKV for the very moment until CloneBD catches up, but, once it adds support for frame packed 3D in MKV format, we're golden there, as well. Then you really can build your library like I do as MKV's with full quality. That's why I chose J River MC for its library management.
Interesting, I didn't know there is a frame packed mkv "standard" format.

The quick look I had into it suggests there isn't such a thing. Frame packing is done by the display device

Interesting, I didn't know there is a frame packed mkv "standard" format.

I'm not so sure there's a standard LOL. I think it's more what they agreed upon, but, nonetheless, it does work and I'd LOVE for CloneBD to support it cause it's incredibly useful.

The quick look I had into it suggests there isn't such a thing. Frame packing is done by the display device

He's talking about how to store a frame packed stream inside an MKV container. And I don't know if the MKV standard accounts for it or not, but, it's being done successfully as we speak. They even added the metadata for left eye/right eye into the MKV but that was a standard I think nev and madshi cooked up. Really not sure on that one.

A simple Google on '3d frame packing mkv' is what I was referring to, all results say there is no such official thing in the standard.

Yes, I know. It's not in the official standard but it's widely accepted that it can be done. It's a stream. The MKV container doesn't necessarily care what's in it.

Back