• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD HD with WinDVD 2010

mstrong

WinDVD 2010 has to turn off my Windows 7 Aero Theme in order to play BluRay movies. If AnyDVD Had is running in then it prevents WinDVD 2010 from doing this and will not allow me to watch the BluRay. There are two workarounds to my problem that are very annoying.

1) Turn off Aero in Windows 7 every time I want to watch a BluRay.
2) Turn off AnyDVD HD every time I want to watch a BluRay.

Both of the above work but neither is a real solution. Has anyone else seen this problem and now of a way to fix it?

Could you give more info as to what your hardware specs are? You didn't give enough information to be of much help??

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4 GB of RAM
32 Bit Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

If I disable AnyDVD then WinDVD works fine. WinDVD turns off Aero when playing a BluRay and turns it back on when done. If AnyDVD is running then WinDVD tries to turn off Aero but it is like AnyDVD turns it back on and then WinDVD repeats the cycle of tryimg to turn it off. It is and endless loop. :bang:

interesting...

I've raised a flag about this to James....

What graphics card do you use, and what graphics driver? Those specs may be of more importance here than the specs you gave.

I don't have this problem in Vista Home Premium with TMT3 or TMT5 and an ATI HD 5450 and Catalyst 11.2 drivers, even though they both turn Aero off when playing. (Until the latest update, TMT3 with the SimHD plug-in turned Aero off whenever it was open.) It's more normal for players to turn Aero off in Vista than Win7; I thought Aero was more stable in Win7 so it didn't always need to be turned off for smooth 1080p playback. (Nero Kwik Media with Nero 10 HD doesn't turn Aero off; its video playback on my PC is choppy.) Does WinDVD have an option that allows Aero to be kept on in playback (as TMT5 does)?

I'm not sure why AnyDVD HD would ever turn Aero back on, unless perhaps it's one of the scanning pop-ups (balloon tip and/or dialog box). Have you tried inserting your disc and letting AnyDVD HD scan it before starting WinDVD, as I usually do with TMT? In addition to keeping AnyDVD HD silent while the player has Aero off, it also keeps the player from trying to read the drive before AnyDVD HD is finished.

Also, have you gone to the Program Settings page in the status window and tried different combinations of checking & unchecking "Show Balloon Tip while AnyDVD is scanning discs" and/or "Show information window while AnyDVD is scanning discs" to find one that doesn't turn Aero back on? (By default the first box is checked, while the second isn't; I prefer reversing them myself.)

Last edited:
What graphics card do you use, and what graphics driver? Those specs may be of more importance here than the specs you gave.

I don't have this problem in Vista Home Premium with TMT3 or TMT5 and an ATI HD 5450 and Catalyst 11.2 drivers, even though they both turn Aero off when playing. (Until the latest update, TMT3 with the SimHD plug-in turned Aero off whenever it was open.) It's more normal for players to turn Aero off in Vista than Win7; I thought Aero was more stable in Win7 so it didn't always need to be turned off for smooth 1080p playback. (Nero Kwik Media with Nero 10 HD doesn't turn Aero off; its video playback on my PC is choppy.) Does WinDVD have an option that allows Aero to be kept on in playback (as TMT5 does)?

I'm not sure why AnyDVD HD would ever turn Aero back on, unless perhaps it's one of the scanning pop-ups (balloon tip and/or dialog box). Have you tried inserting your disc and letting AnyDVD HD scan it before starting WinDVD, as I usually do with TMT? In addition to keeping AnyDVD HD silent while the player has Aero off, it also keeps the player from trying to read the drive before AnyDVD HD is finished.

Also, have you gone to the Program Settings page in the status window and tried different combinations of checking & unchecking "Show Balloon Tip while AnyDVD is scanning discs" and/or "Show information window while AnyDVD is scanning discs" to find one that doesn't turn Aero back on? (By default the first box is checked, while the second isn't; I prefer reversing them myself.)
AnyDVD will under no circumstances turn Aero on or off.

that disable aero is normal, try using powerDVD or arcsoft TMT5 the other 2 leading players. Both of them turn aero off. Thats normal behaviour

Yes, both players will disable aero. However TMT5 allows an option of leaving it enabled as well.

WinDVD 2010 has to turn off my Windows 7 Aero Theme in order to play BluRay movies. If AnyDVD Had is running in then it prevents WinDVD 2010 from doing this and will not allow me to watch the BluRay. There are two workarounds to my problem that are very annoying.

1) Turn off Aero in Windows 7 every time I want to watch a BluRay.
2) Turn off AnyDVD HD every time I want to watch a BluRay.

Both of the above work but neither is a real solution. Has anyone else seen this problem and now of a way to fix it?

Im running a Toshiba Qosmio laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Quad Core i7 (first gen Q740) CPU and Nvidia GPU (Nvidia GTS 360M), 8GB Ram and WinDVD 2010, and no issues even with AnyDVD running. Aero works fine and is not distrupted. I even just played Avatar to make sure.

My video card is not much to look at. It is an ATI Radeon HD 3400 series.

Here is what I think is happening.

1) I insert a BluRay and launch WinDVD.
2) WinDVD tries to play BluRay but can't because it needs to turn off Win7 Aero.
3) I click the popup window approving that WinDVD turns off Aero.
4) WinDVD turns off Aero and tries to access the BluRay again.
5) AnyDVD HD interrupts the control of the BluRay.
6) WinDVD gets control back but sees it as a new BluRay and prompts to turn Aero off again.
7) Go to step 3

Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

AnyDVD HD is very lowlevel, so it will already have access to the disc before WinDVD asks about turning off aero. As was said earlier, have you tried letting AnyDVD HD finish scanning the disc before running WinDVD?

What do you mean by finish scanning? AnyDVD tells me the disc is ready.

finish scanning means a solid red fox in the system tray, only then is the disc ready and fully decrypted

Yes. I am waiting until the disc is fully decrypted. I am still having the same problem. :confused:

Yes. I am waiting until the disc is fully decrypted. I am still having the same problem. :confused:

Something sounds very odd indeed, im sure its a technical issue based on the system, not AnyDVD HD itself. I run a similar computer system, no issues at all - played a BD disc with AnyDVD running which is definately a low level application (10,476kb), so it would have no impact with the system itself. I was a beta tester for Windows 7 ;)

So is there a formal way to log a bug or do the SlySoft folks scan the forums looking for them?

Frank and James have both already posted in this thread, and James doesn't appear to think it's a bug in AnyDVD HD

Back