• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Is this article for real??

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatever_gong82

I just got off of work, and I was googling info on everyone's favorite company, when I came across this link:

http://antiguaspeaks.com/news/?p=2947

Antigua-based software developer charged for breaching country’s copyright laws

Concerns are being raised as to how Antigua-based software developer Slysoft Inc and its owner Giancarlo Bettini were able to breach copyright laws in Antigua and Barbuda without being detected by the Financial Services Regulatory Commission (FSRC), which is responsible for monitoring offshore financial companies and the like.

Bettini and his company are facing six charges relating to breaches of the country’s copyright laws under the WIPO Copyright Treaty. Slysoft is an offshore company under the International Business Corporation Act of Antigua & Barbuda and falls under the remit FSRC. Summonses were served on the software developer and his company of 30 Dec. last year. The matter is set for trial on 9 March (2011). Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Anthony Armstrong said that he first became aware of the matter in 2008 when a complaint was made by Advanced Access Content Systems Licensing Administrator of the United States (US) (AACS/LA). Armstrong explained that the AACS is an entity comprising of a group of the world’s leading computer companies and motion picture studies including Intel, Microsoft, Panasonic, Toshiba, IBM, Sony, Walt Disney Company and Warner Brother Studios.

He said the role of the AACS is to provide licenses to motion picture distributors, consumer electronic companies and consumer manufacturers According to the DPP this is a technology in which High Definition HD DVDs- both HD DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs are encrypted and protected from digital copy. Allegations are that Slysoft, which manufactures products under the name Any DVD, Any DVD HD, Clone DVD among others, is not a licensed company, but has been developing and selling certain software designed to decrypt the AACS technology.

“These copies can be repeatedly be reproduced and sold and distributed, with each subsequent digital copy typically retaining the clarity and quality of the original.

“The activities of Slysoft have a potential to impair the reputation of Antigua and Barbuda. Generally, and more specifically its reputation in allowing a company incorporated here to breach the country’s international treaty obligations and its domestic laws while yielding to the country very little economic benefits,” Armstrong said.

The products that Slysoft produces allow consumers complete access to illegally view and reproduce copyrighted content. Armstrong said that the software developer sells its products via the Internet and publicizes that its AnyDVD HD software can remove AACS encryption from HD DVDs.

The AACS technology was aimed at preventing such an occurrence. Antigua and Barbuda implemented the WIPO Treaty in 2003.

I think that this link/article is a bunch of bunk, but in any case I think that Slysoft can knock down anything that the AACS/LA can ever dream of.

:rock:

Now that's a funny story. They can't even write the product names correctly. It's not Any DVD its AnyDVD. Neither is slysoft a motion picture distrubuter, or a consumer electronics nor manufaturer. They're software developper.

Now that's a funny story. They can't even write the product names correctly. It's not Any DVD its AnyDVD. Neither is slysoft a motion picture distrubuter, or a consumer electronics nor manufaturer. They're software developper.

Ch3vr0n, as you know, I'm no FUD poster, since I've been posting on here almost 4 years now, but I didn't even notice the Any DVD mistake, or the motion picture distrubuter gaffes.

:doh:

So I guess it's a case of "Nothing to worry about, move along folks."

:)

Last edited:
Its full of errors. My reply was pointed at this line

He said the role of the AACS is to provide licenses to motion picture distributors, consumer electronic companies and consumer manufacturers

Last time i checked, slysoft was neither of them, nor do they sell a product call Any DVD & similar :p

About the 4 errors. Its only 2 ^^ They're is correct (short for they are). Though you were right for the manufacturer and developer :)

Last edited:
Just because the article has poor copy editing does not mean it is not true.

Slysoft has to make a statement about this.

Very disturbing.

Let's say worst case scenerio, the article is real, the lawsuit is brought, and the prosecution wins.

What would that mean for the future of SlySoft's products?

slysoft was neither of them
You're not reading the article correctly.
This is what is says...
the role of the AACS is to provide licenses to motion picture distributors, consumer electronic companies and consumer manufacturers
In the same paragraph, it then goes on to say...
Allegations are that Slysoft, which manufactures products under the name Any DVD, Any DVD HD, Clone DVD among others, is not a licensed company, but has been developing and selling certain software designed to decrypt the AACS technology.
It doesn't say SlySoft is any of the following...
motion picture distributors, consumer electronic companies and consumer manufacturers
Maybe your confusing 'provide licenses to motion picture distributors, consumer electronic companies and consumer manufacturers' and 'licensed company'?

Last edited:
Seen it

Seen it and passed it on. Was already well-known along with some other related epistles in the local press.

I personally don't believe this will happen for reasons I don't care to discuss here. :disagree:

Last edited:
Whenever you are number 1 (top gun) in your known field of expertise, you are ALWAYS going to have other persons/groups (want to bee's) taking target practice at you, just a fact of life, what keeps you at number one is your are the best and no one else can catch you.

The best Slysoft can do is get the best lawyers (ones that can walk on water) and fight the good fight with all their expertise.

The worse case Slysoft would have to raise their prices on software due to the expense of litagation, or the corporation (Slysoft) would have to close and come to the surface at a later time, with a different name and owners.

Litagation from a corporation name like Slysoft(three or more individuals that make-up the corporation) can not be sued individually, but only as a corporation.

Just part of the game Intel, Microsoft, Panasonic, Toshiba, IBM, Sony, Walt Disney Company and Warner Brother Studios are playing, Slysoft must be hitting them where it hurts, their pocketbook.
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only that but those misidentifications and typos are clearly unprofessional for trying to sue or stop should know how to identify and do grammar better before making the obvious blunders.

Not only that but those misidentifications and typos are clearly unprofessional for trying to sue or stop should know how to identify and do grammar better before making the obvious blunders.

You have the grammatical skills of an eight year old, so please stop being a "Grammar Nazi".

I love coming here.
It really brings a smile to my face when someone comments on spelling or grammar, then go on to make similar mistakes themselves.

Hee-hee.

Seen it and passed it on. Was already well-known along with some other related epistles in the local press.

I personally don't believe this will happen for reasons I don't care to discuss here. :disagree:

Glad to hear that. You've helped myself in the past with some issues privately, and I'm glad that you're stating that I (and the users of Slysoft products) have nothing to worry about.

:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back