• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Movie stutters at mid-point of disc?

80 wire IDE cables are also identifiable by the colored ends. Blue-Black-Gray.
40 wire cables have Black ends.

Well, Thanks Webslinger and to everyone else who gave input!

One last item now:
I stuck in one disc that I ripped about 1 month ago, it was a particularly troubled disc( skipped so bad in the middle-movie, I quit watching it) I was thinking it would be a good "test" to see if all my problems were gone?...Well, keeping in mind this was the worst disc for the problem...it still has a problem. Not as bad, but instead of hanging for 1 second every three minutes, with the new drive, it hangs for 5-10 seconds every 10 minutes or so? So, I replaced one problem with another? Although I can not rule out that it was the original drive during the burn process? This particular disc was a Memorex DVD+DL, and afterwards I stopped using those and stuck strictly with Verbatum DVD+DL....So, I'm going to wait and see if everything is peachy?

Any thoughts about the latest version of AnyDVD I just got emailed about? Maybe this newest version will help out on avoiding this situation in the future?HOPE-HOPE?

This particular disc was a Memorex DVD+DL

Junk. You should expect issues with Memorex +R DL media.
Use Verbatim +R DL only using this method

Any thoughts about the latest version of AnyDVD I just got emailed about? Maybe this newest version will help out on avoiding this situation in the future?

No. Anydvd has nothing to do with burning issues. This method will fix your problems.

Webslinger...may I ask why you use CloneCD instead of CloneDVD2?(I just paid $39.00 for CloneDVD2) Why would Slysoft name the preferred DVD ripping program CD instead of DVD? Sorry if you've whent over this 1000times...point me to a link?
Thanks

Alright, my movie-world is now turning to crap! Thought everything would be fine after the cable and was interested to see how well this new drive was at reading DVD's that were in marginal shape...I tend to have lots of scratched DVD I'm trryiing to copy....Well, out of my first four attempts:
1)Drive failed to read.
2)Success
3)Failed again due to "Bad Media"
4)CloneDVD2 reached 74% and acted like it had hung...after 1 hour I hit the cancel....I had been postponing a Windows Update reboot and decided to let it....after which I get this message:

AnyDVD 6.1.3.6
Warning!
No DVD Drive Detected!
Possible reasons:
1-You Don't Have a DVD Drive, buy one.

2-You haven't rebooted......

3-Your external DVD not powered up and conn.....

4-There is a problem initialising the AnyDVD driver.Uninstall, Reboot, Install, Reboot

End

I paraphrased that window but I hope you got the gist of the warning message?

Webslinger, now WTF is going on? I was tempted to uninstall AnyDVD, like it stated, but I have to go to work and don't have time to mess with this right now...Plus, I'll wait to hear from you before I do anything...
Damit, I should have bought the SATA drive at Best Buy! Something tells me this Pioneer is junk?

What else would you expect if you're trying to backup scratched discs?
You can try to clean or repair them, but if the source disc is bad, it's bad even if it plays fine. Some drives are better than others at reading scratched discs.

You should probably do the following anyway (not that I think it will help much)

1. Update Anydvd (you're not using the latest version)
2. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10
3. Do steps 3 and 4 from here (note that step 4 requires you to actually post information; do not start deleting filters randomly)

What else would you expect if you're trying to backup scratched discs?
You can try to clean or repair them, but if the source disc is bad, it's bad even if it plays fine. Some drives are better than others at reading scratched discs.

You should probably do the following anyway (not that I think it will help much)

1. Update Anydvd (you're not using the latest version)
2. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10
3. Do steps 3 and 4 from here (note that step 4 requires you to actually post information; do not start deleting filters randomly)

The Benq I replaced read EVERYTHING...it just had a "little stutter" during playback from time-to-time:mad: I SO wish I could just have it back the way it was....but, that stutter was starting to get worse, so I would have had to do something sooner or later?

I Listed the filters a few posts back, do you suspect they cahanged?

I upgraded the drives firmware immediately after installing it.

I guess my question is this: Should I uninstall AnyDVD and try re-installing it? or Should I take this POS drive back to Best Buy and get the SATA drive?

The Benq I replaced read EVERYTHING...it just had a "little stutter" during playback from time-to-time

That burner has a very good reputation.

I Listed the filters a few posts back, do you suspect they cahanged?

No. Sorry, I forgot (I troubleshoot a lot of issues; I don't remember everything).

Ensure you do step 3 though as well (a bad ide busmaster driver can cause issues).

I guess my question is this: Should I uninstall AnyDVD and try re-installing it?

You should at least update to Anydvd 6.1.4.3, but I doubt that's going to fix the issue you're having.

or Should I take this POS drive back to Best Buy and get the SATA drive?

The only difference, I suspect, would be the SATA interface (the difference between Pioneer 112 and 212, but I could be wrong). Take the original discs and try them in another computer. If they can be backed up without read errors, then I would buy whatever drive managed to read those discs. Otherwise, your best bet is to clean, repair, or replace the originals. You might want to do a search online for what drives read scratched discs well. Again, I'm not terribly fond of recommending burners.

Last edited:
You can try to clean or repair them, but if the source disc is bad, it's bad even if it plays fine.

Web....I had to ask about this....you're confusing me now, have you ever ran into a situation were the source disc played fine, but you could not copy it?

Web....I had to ask about this....you're confusing me now, have you ever ran into a situation were the source disc played fine, but you could not copy it?

Yes, it's a fairly common problem (even with brand new discs) especially since quality control issues are becoming worse (poorly mastered, poorly pressed discs). When the issue is really bad (factory released a bunch of bad discs), sometimes people need to exchange their disc up to three times or more before it works properly (without read errors). Exchanging the disc for a good working one fixes the issue.

If there are scratches, though, repairing the disc sometimes works (I've used this pink goop polish that works sometimes with scratches). Other people may use other methods for repairing scratched discs.

If you're getting CRC errors with Clonedvd, read this. Since you mentioned scratches, option #2 is the mostly likely problem.

As I said before though, some drives are better at reading through scratches than others.

Last edited:
I probably should have mentioned . . .

Your burner should be installed as master (check the jumper on the back on the drive and check what end of the cable you attached to the burner).

I probably should have mentioned . . .

Your burner should be installed as master (check the jumper on the back on the drive and check what end of the cable you attached to the burner).

It is..Jumper and end of cable both configured as master:clap:

I've been thinking I'd return this drive...just too many things giving me a bad feeling about this Pioneer. Thinking I'll go with either LG or Samsung SATA, this way, I can test and return immediately if the drive not as good as I hope?

I'm curious though, you said you didn't use your Plextor as the Burning drive...just to read? Why do that? With my setup, I only have one spot for optical drive, so it needs to be able to do both well.:doh:

It is not uncommon for a source disc to play and not be able to copy it. A bad source disc or a faulting DVDRW can be the cause.

I'm curious though, you said you didn't use your Plextor as the Burning drive...just to read?

I just use my Plextor burner to burn--not to read. Well, I do sometimes use it for pi/po/jitter quality scans, but I mostly use it to burn.

Why do that?

Because Plextor burners are expensive; I do not want to create more wear and tear on the burner than I have to; and the PX-760a may be the last real Plextor (not a rebadge) burner ever. I use it for what it's main purpose is--burning.

With my setup, I only have one spot for optical drive, so it needs to be able to do both well.:doh:

Then get one ide optical drive and one sata optical drive. I never use one drive to both read and write; it's too annoying to have to switch discs.

Last edited:
Ah, I see, that makes sense, but I didn't mean "only one PATA port", I meant only one external 5.25" bay(HTPC).

Well, I returned the Pioneer and traded it for the LG GSA-H62L (SATA). So far I'm more impressed than with the Pioneer. This drive read one of the two discs the DVR-112 failed to read. The other had a pretty major gouge in it so I really don't know as anything would have read it?

Other than that though, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!

Thank you again Web!

Clicking "Settings" on the red fox gives me the following:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.3.6)
PIONEER DVD-RWDVR-112D 1.06 06/11/29PIONEER
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1997488 sectors (3901 MBytes)
Total size: 3971720 sectors (7757 MBytes)

One other thing I didn't see mentioned, apparently your new drive was not set to a region code. Sometimes it doesn't make a difference, sometimes it does.

One other thing I didn't see mentioned, apparently your new drive was not set to a region code. Sometimes it doesn't make a difference, sometimes it does.

Yeah, that usually only matters if you get a CSS decryption error message in Anydvd. Often, you can ignore that error message. But in some cases the drive's region code does have to match the disc.

Last edited:
To be clear...I SHOULD set the region code? I thought I read somewhere that leaving it blank(unspecified) was an advantage?

Back