• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ripping Hybrid DVD/BD disc results in DVD only rip :(

wapiko

Hi all,

I am using my LG GGW-H20N to rip the following Hybrid disc:
Title: Kara Vacation
Disc code: POXS-22701
UPC: 4988005626073

This disc is a Hybrid BD/DVD disc. Which means it contains a layer with DVD formated UDF information and a DVD directory stream.
It ALSO contains a Blu-Ray layer in UDF2.5 with a BD stream.

AnyDVDHD only recognises the DVD stream when ripping.
Using version: 6.6.8.3

Will this ever be fixed, and if so, when?
I'd like to be able to choose the BD for ripping instead of the DVD.

Hi all,

I am using my LG GGW-H20N to rip the following Hybrid disc:
Title: Kara Vacation
Disc code: POXS-22701
UPC: 4988005626073

This disc is a Hybrid BD/DVD disc. Which means it contains a layer with DVD formated UDF information and a DVD directory stream.
It ALSO contains a Blu-Ray layer in UDF2.5 with a BD stream.

AnyDVDHD only recognises the DVD stream when ripping.
Using version: 6.6.8.3

Will this ever be fixed, and if so, when?
I'd like to be able to choose the BD for ripping instead of the DVD.
Can you please post an AnyDVD logfile? Which part is visible from Windows explorer?

I will upload a LOG file shortly (IF I asked it to log, can't recall).
Explorer only shows the DVD and ripping is agonisingly slow.
It has been ripping for 2+ hours now and is still only at 80% for the DVD.

*Edit* OK, now I feel like an idiot, but where do I find the log files?
It's probably somewhere in this great forum and I am just too stupid to find the where and how -_-;;

Last edited:
I will upload a LOG file shortly (IF I asked it to log, can't recall).
Explorer only shows the DVD and ripping is agonisingly slow.
It has been ripping for 2+ hours now and is still only at 80% for the DVD.

*Edit* OK, now I feel like an idiot, but where do I find the log files?
It's probably somewhere in this great forum and I am just too stupid to find the where and how -_-;;
You have to create the log. AnyDVD notification icon -> right mouse button -> create logfile.

Just for future reference, the information about making logfiles etc is in the stickies at the top of the forum inside the one marked 'Have problems? Please answer these questions when posting, or risk being ignored'

I'm betting the log will likely only show DVD info.

I wonder how any player will be able to tell if it's a Blu-Ray or a DVD... it can't be both, yet it is...

Yes, that is exactly my problem. The disc is recognised as a DVD.
How can I rip any BD content if it is only recognised as a DVD.
The other available ripping software also only recognises the DVD portion of the disc.

Last edited:
@ wapiko
Don't forget to post your AnyDVD Logfile.
You'll have to add it as an attachment when you make a reply :)

Here is the log. I had some problems with 6.6.8.3 (which is due to some software on my side) and reverted back to 6.6.7.0

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.6.7.0_Info_H_POXS_22701V.zip
    98.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Not related to your problem, but some things in your logfile that need attention at some time:

AnyDVD_Status

Code:
Summary for drive H: (AnyDVD 6.6.7.0)
HL-DT-ST BD-REGGW-H20N XL05 0010020812864I0010
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2093725 sectors (4089 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: POXS_22701V
Media is CSS protected!
Media is region free.
Video Standard: NTSC

AI scan forced, heuristic scan detected no protection!
Found & removed structural copy protection!
RCE protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Removed CSS copy protection!
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!
The version of AnyDVD you are using ( 6.6.7.0 ) is out of date. Please update to the latest release Version 6.6.8.3. I strongly recommend that you update to the latest beta version 6.6.8.4

Code:
HL-DT-ST BD-REGGW-H20N XL05 0010020812864I0010
Please ensure you are using the latest firmware for your optical drive. See here.

Rip speeds on DVD and Blu-Ray might be improved by MediaCodeSpeedEdit. Please see RIPLOCK.
If installed (often from Duplex Secure, Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% ), uninstall SPTD, which is the culprit for slow rips.
See here and here.

A special firmware exists for this drive. See here. This patch modifies the drive firmware in a way that it will report the volume unique id without the need of an authentification with a player key. By doing so, one part of the aacs protection is completly knocked out, because it is no longer possible to prevent anybody from getting the volume unique id by invalidating the player key used by the ripping software.

Code:
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)
Your region code is not set.

With some DVDs and some drives, AnyDVD cannot decrypt CSS unless your drive's region code is set properly.
You must exit AnyDVD when checking.
  1. Right click the fox on your toolbar. Exit AnyDVD.
  2. Click start. Right click on My computer--->select properties.
  3. Click on the Hardware tab--->click the device manager button.
  4. Open the DVD/DROM branch---> right click on your optical drive.
  5. Click properties.
  6. You should have a region tab. From there you can select a region.
  7. Select the region that you're in
  8. Start AnyDVD.
SysInfo

Problematic Filter NTIDrvr Typically NTI's Filecd, which is packet writing software installs that filter:
Code:
CDROM Class UpperFilters:
NTIDrvr (system32\Drivers\NTIDrvr.sys), Version: 1.0.0.8 (1.0.0.8)
Company: NewTech Infosystems, Inc.
Copyright: Copyright (C) 2002 NewTech Infosystems, Inc.
Description: NTI CD-ROM Filter Driver
FileVersion: 1, 0, 0, 8
ProductVersion: 1, 0, 0, 8
Problematic Filter cdrbsdrv from BHA/Ricoh as it was installed with the Ricoh EncryptEase format/engine and B's Recorder GOLD7:
Code:
cdrbsdrv (system32\drivers\cdrbsdrv.sys), Version: 8.1.1.0 (8.1.1.0)
Company: B.H.A Corporation
Product: B's Recorder GOLD
Copyright: Copyright (C) 2000-2009 B.H.A Corporation
Description: CD-ROM Filter Driver for WindowsXP x64Edition
FileVersion: 8. 1. 1. 0
ProductVersion: 8. 1. 1. 0
PrivateBuild: 8. 1. 1. 0
Refer here for an list of known problematic filters. Further filter information here

Remove the filter(s):

1. Create a backup of your registry. Refer here for how to do so.
  2. Download ImgBurn (freeware).
  3. Start ImgBurn and go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order...
  4. Select "NTIDrvr" & "cdrbsdrv". Click Remove Selected Filter. Click OK.
  5. Reboot.

Whatever programs installed the filter may no longer work properly.
Reinstall the piece of software that originally installed the filter to get things working again if necessary.
It is not recommended that you do so, however, because the problem will likely happen again at a later time

After carrying out the above recommendations, please create and post a new set of log files.

Does the Blu-Ray part work with AnyDVD disabled? Here's the Amazon link http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B003U5CQ04

Thinking out loud, i wonder what happens when you use a whiteboard marker to draw around the outer edge of the combi disk? This used to be a getaround by invalidating multi session cds that could not be read by Windows in the past.

Last edited:
Hi Mike, I bought the disc at a different store.
The disc is only seen as a DVD by:
Explorer
Imgburn
dvddecrypter (which wouldn't work with BD's anyway)
Anydvdhd
DVDfab
Isobuster

I installed the newer version (beta) of anydvd and removed the filters.
My drive is a LG drive and not a matsushita and has had no problems ripping blu ray or DVD for 2 years now without the region code being set.
I am not going to set it now, unless I am sure it's the solution.

Regarding Firmware: XL05 _is_ the latest firmware.
I am not installing a 03 firmware because it will not support some of the BD discs I often buy. Notably, Tayo Yuden Victor discs, which are the bast damn BD's available.

So, if the hacker uploads a hack of XL05, I'm fine with it. If not, no dice.

This all in all still does not answer my question regarding getting to the BD content of this disc.

Thank you all for all the input up till now. New Log will follow after reboot.

Well as explorer only sees it as a DVD then there's no surprise that everything else only sees it as a DVD

My drive is a LG drive and not a matsushita and has had no problems ripping blu ray or DVD for 2 years now without the region code being set.
I am not going to set it now, unless I am sure it's the solution.

It's not relevant here, but good practice. From time to time you might come across as disk that cannot have CSS cracked due to the region not being set

Regarding Firmware: XL05 _is_ the latest firmware.
I am not installing a 03 firmware because it will not support some of the BD discs I often buy. Notably, Tayo Yuden Victor discs, which are the bast damn BD's available.

So, if the hacker uploads a hack of XL05, I'm fine with it. If not, no dice.

You need to page through the entire thread. Here is the direct link to the newer hacked FW:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1212638&postcount=68

Are you 100% sure this is a combo disk? How can this work? How would a standalone Blu-Ray player know not to play the SD content? I'm wondering if the packaging should contain 2 disks, and the BD one is missing for you. Can you please make a photo/scan of the disk and packaging?

According to the disc specs it is a hybrid disc with both formats on the same disc

Mike: Thanks, downloading now.
Adbear: You are right. It is just 1 disc, 1 side with both BD and DVD.

And I know explorer won't see it, so I hoped there was some way in hell to make it see it or use a program to do this.

I have my hopes on AnyDVD. Since this disc is from Universal, you can bet your behind that they'll introduce it to the west too, if it works on relatively small markets like a Korean disc for the Japanese market.

Mike: Thanks, downloading now.
Adbear: You are right. It is just 1 disc, 1 side with both BD and DVD.

And I know explorer won't see it, so I hoped there was some way in hell to make it see it or use a program to do this.

I have my hopes on AnyDVD. Since this disc is from Universal, you can bet your behind that they'll introduce it to the west too, if it works on relatively small markets like a Korean disc for the Japanese market.
It looks like your drive only "sees" the DVD layer. Sorry, there's nothing you can do. Maybe a firmware update can help.

Hi James, there has been no new Firmware since 2008 :(

It looks like your drive only "sees" the DVD layer. Sorry, there's nothing you can do. Maybe a firmware update can help.

Yes, that was what I was going to say...
It's a bit strange though, because I would expect a drive to first check whether it's a blu-ray (using the violet laser) and if not to fall back to DVD.
In other words: such a disc should pop up as blu-ray ONLY on a BD drive.

Possibly the same might happen with a standalone BD player - then what?

If this disc works properly in stand alone players (in other words, Blu-Ray players see a Blu-Ray, DVD players see a DVD), then we may have yet another candidate of a new kind of scheme that could work as a type of copy protection AnyDVD will not be able to break.

Then again... it will also mean that the disc won't work at all for Blu-Ray playback at all on a PC... and the industry can basically lock out PC support, (and therefore the ability to copy new discs) any time it wants. Will probably piss off a lot of people though.

I wonder what happens if you play this "hybrid" disc on a PS3?

Back