• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blocked BD copy playback (Cinavia)

just a quick one guys, have read through all this but couldn't find an answer to this - if you did a direct 1:1 copy on a bd50 of the losers, whats the outcome with the new protection? Im assuming it would be working fine, but cant find an answer anywhere!

Negative. I did that and it did not work. Once the AACS protection is removed it triggers Cinavia.

I use my Oppo BDP-83 for standalone Blu-Ray playback and I stream to it via a few different DLNA streaming applications from one of my PCs so I'm not impacted by any of this [for the time being].

Which firmware version are you running?

Negative. I did that and it did not work. Once the AACS protection is removed it triggers Cinavia.

interesting - in a bad way! I thought it was something to do with the audio being recoded or something - shows what I know! Best leave the thinking to the slysoft boys :)

Good luck guys getting rid of it, we all appreciate your hard work.

interesting - in a bad way! I thought it was something to do with the audio being recoded or something - shows what I know! Best leave the thinking to the slysoft boys :)

Yea, it's an annoying little protection. I tried all kinds of things and all of them triggered it. It's only on one disc now, but, given what we've seen of this thing you can bet new discs will start using it soon. It's fairly effective on players that support detection.

Yea, it's an annoying little protection. I tried all kinds of things and all of them triggered it. It's only on one disc now, but, given what we've seen of this thing you can bet new discs will start using it soon. It's fairly effective on players that support detection.

yeah you can take it to the bank that it will be on most new releases coming up. Hopefully james and the team will have some kind of answers and solutions by then tho :)

What makes this protection so evil is that re-encoding the audio to another format DOES NOT get rid of it. It's there on the untouched original audio track, and it manages to survive various re-encodings as well.

yeah you can take it to the bank that it will be on most new releases coming up. Hopefully james and the team will have some kind of answers and solutions by then tho :)

That is what I don't think some people are getting. From what I read, *ALL* of the studios have signed on to use this. Unlike BD+ where only Fox is using it at the moment, Cinavia seems to be supported by them all. So yea, we're going to see more and more discs using it. When we were waiting for real world experience and speculating on the protection we weren't sure how effective it'd really be. Now that I've had some hands on with it, I can tell you that anyone with a player that supports it is going to not be happy with it. So it's not some overblown fear or whatever....it's real world "this sucks" experience. Stick with players that don't support it for now. Or avoid buying new discs. That works, too. :D

As SlySoft say about Cinavia, "We're going to remove it". I know there is not yet a timescale as to when Cinavia will be removed, but whether a player detects it or not is now not relevent??
Just hold off buying a recent BluRay player until then if possible :)

With no timeline as to when it's going to get removed, the next solution is to buy a player that doesn't detect it.

No, the obvious solution is to play the bloody original disc, and take good care of it! Your little kids don't need to see The Losers anyway, do they!:rolleyes:

It's also not an issue for me, either, as I use software players. So, what's the point? People in this thread aren't talking about getting a player for ONE disc. Are you delusional and believe this one disc is all that's going to be released or something? I don't get your point at all.
I made a simple point. Maybe I should have said instead, "No, the [next] solution is to play the original disc." There is plenty of time to consider whether or not to buy another player, for the sole purpose of playing copies of Cinavia discs (er, I mean, "backups" cough, cough). But to do it (and you recommended it dude) on the strength of one disc is classic overreaction, don't you think? :p

I made a simple point. Maybe I should have said instead, "No, the [next] solution is to play the original disc." There is plenty of time to consider whether or not to buy another player, for the sole purpose of playing copies of Cinavia discs (er, I mean, "backups" cough, cough). But to do it (and you recommended it dude) on the strength of one disc is classic overreaction, don't you think? :p

Yea, I'm done having this conversation with you. EVERYONE except you seems to get the real point. To me you're just trolling now and that annoys me. Yes, there's one disc with it now. I didn't say to go buy a new player to play one disc. SOME people, NOT you, seems to think ahead a little bit. The concept is lost on you and that's fine. But, I'm not going to sit here and have stupid debates with you about it.

I can't speak for SamuriHL, but what i think he meant when he said to buy a player that doesn't detect Crapavia is that the player should not support it long term. For example, someone on here got word back from Oppo that they are not going to support it. So it makes sense to purchase a player where the manufacturer takes that stance.

Long term, they may be forced, but that's a bridge worth coming to if DVD players are any indication. When DVD players first came out, there was media that they couldn't play, not because of any technical reason, but because of DRM considerations (i'm thinking of Divx DVDs). Well, a short time later, you saw all these cheap players start popping up that could play those media. To this day, that's still the case, that not all DVD players adhere to every whim of the DRM folks.

And really, what's all this innuendo about "backup, cough, cough". Yeah, we all know that pirates might use AnyDVD to facilitate their piracy, so what?? I don't. And I'll guess that most of the people on here don't as well. They use it to make legit backups (fair use principles) or to be able to watch Blurays on old hardware, that they probably paid an arm and a leg for when it was new. News flash, people use the internet to leak classified documents as well. So the next time you get on the internet, you must be a classified document leaker??

Sorry, I know that last point is off tangent, but this whole "everybody knows AnyDVD is for pirating" crap is really getting old.:bang:

I can't speak for SamuriHL, but what i think he meant when he said to buy a player that doesn't detect Crapavia is that the player should not support it long term. For example, someone on here got word back from Oppo that they are not going to support it. So it makes sense to purchase a player where the manufacturer takes that stance.

I don't think I could have been more clear with what I said. :) I've spoken enough on that subject at this point. Those that understand what I was saying "get it" and don't need any further discussion. Those that don't or refuse to simply for the sake of arguing, well, no further discussion is needed for them either. :) It's really quite simple...those who like to backup their collection and want to burn discs for a hardware player will probably want to consider a player that can't ever support this protection. Those that don't care can watch the original on any player they want. And then there's my solution to the problem...ignore it completely as if it never existed. :) Cause that's what my players will do. It's really not any more complicated than that, and just because there's only one disc that has it now does not mean that people shouldn't consider their options going forward. And that was the real point of the discussion we've had lately.

Which firmware version are you running?

The latest firmware is BDP83-50-0424B released on May 5th, 2010. The firmware itself is actually dated April 24th which you can tell by the version number. I haven't actually tested playback of a backup with Cinavia, however. I don't own a Blu-Ray burner and Oppo has already stated that the BDP-83 doesn't support Cinavia. That statement came long after the the most recent firmware release.

... someone on here got word back from Oppo that they are not going to support it. So it makes sense to purchase a player where the manufacturer takes that stance.

My understanding is that statement was in response to a BDP-80/BDP-83/BDP-83 SE owner who contacted Oppo and asked if the player supported Cinavia. The BDP-83 SE is a BDP-83 with some upgraded audio. The BDP-80 is a lesser version of the BDP-83 minus VRS by Anchor Bay. All three models are basically the same with upgrades or downgrades. The answer was that it didn't but the wording wasn't necessarily definitive. It was said the player doesn't support Cinavia but did they mean that it lacked the hardware to do so or that it didn't currently support it but could at a later time with only a firmware update? At this time due to knowing the manufacturing date of my BDP-83 I find it unlikely it has the hardware but you never know. More importantly, the answer was in reply to a specific model. If Oppo signed a license with the AACS LA which they have to have in order to release a Blu-Ray player then I don't see how they could sell players that lacked Cinavia support it if were to become mandatory and all standalone players must include it. They're handcuffed.

Last edited:
That is what I don't think some people are getting. From what I read, *ALL* of the studios have signed on to use this.
If someone has the patience to read the AACS license agreement (I don't), maybe licensees providing content *have to* use it?

If someone has the patience to read the AACS license agreement (I don't), maybe licensees providing content *have to* use it?

That's entirely possible. As stupid as the AACS requirement, but, just as possible. Good times, good times.

Has slysoft managed to get a hold of any Cinivia protected blurays yet? Would be good if they could test several bluray players and make a list of players and firmware versions that do and don't have cinivia.
That's really not our concern, sorry.

Or, like I've suggested, keep a backup of the existing software players up to the point where they add Cinavia and use those with AnyDVD. :)

Additional note: Current players will work indefinitely as long as AnyDVD is running. It doesn't matter if their AACS keys are revoked (and they will be once a year IIRC).

Additional note: Current players will work indefinitely as long as AnyDVD is running. It doesn't matter if their AACS keys are revoked (and they will be once a year IIRC).

So long as no more player bugs are found like what happened with Avatar. Even after the protection was removed some players still had issues. But in general, this is very true.

After re-reading some of the posts from the Blu-ray hardware player users, there are some hardware player users that think they can go get a non-Cinavia Blu-ray player anytime they want. No so, non Cinavia players are getting very scarce, and will be extremely hard to find.

I did an average amount of research to find my back-up non Cinavia Blu-ray player and still could not find exactly the model I wanted, even within 400 miles of my location.

Also, for firmware updates on non Cinavia models, consider using this update policy, ONLY update to the NEXT factory firmware update you have put on a blank CD disk, if the source, pressed BD-ROM will not play, and ONLY if you have exhausted ALL known causes.

:agree:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really quite simple...those who like to backup their collection and want to burn discs for a hardware player will probably want to consider a player that can't ever support this protection.
Tell us again, cuz I'm stoopid, where EXACTLY it has been established that players exist "that can't ever support this protection"? It seems to me it is only speculation at this point that older BD players cannot be forced to adopt the Cinavia protection with a firmware update.

While I'm doubtful myself about this (that players CAN be "updated" with Cinavia, or even that studios would force manufacturers to do so with an Avatar-type update) until we know for sure, your statement is an assumption. And you do know what it means when you assume something, yes? It's really quite simply...scare-mongering.

Back