• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blocked BD copy playback (Cinavia)

just found out about this cinavia last night after watching Losers on my PS3. The only way to get through the movie was as stated per the website watch another blue ray for 10 minutes, then switch back to the movie. For some reason it seems this protection has some timer in it.

Anyways forums pointed to the Sony's.. found a bds360 and 560 at Frys display models only, $95 for the 360 and $190 for the 560. Went with the 360thinking it was a sure bet and didn't need wifi for netflix with the ps3. A review comment posted the 560 "automatically updated" once connected to the wifi network, something we don't want.

So far the 360 worked great and ran Losers without the issue.. just need to find a replacement remote battery cover lol

thanks for the model numbers. Seems the old models getting hard to find so now is the time to prob get one. They had 370, 570, and 460 im wasn't sure about

I have just bought a refurbed samsung bd-p1590 with a build date of july '09 with firmware 1.04, also of july '09. Unfortunately, it will not play any of my verbatim LTH discs. Does anyone know if this machine with this FW does/doesn't have the cinavia activated? I guess I'll have to buy some non LTH bd-r's in the future for my backups.
Last question: If I understand this cinavia scenario correctly, if my samsung does not have cinavia and I never update the firmware, I should not have any problems in the future with cinavia encoded backups that have no aacs protection. Is this correct? I am under the impression that the only reason we need to update player FW is because of new BD+ and Java crap, and as long as we use anydvd to remove all that stuff, we won't need to update the FW. Please correct me if I have misunderstood anything. TIA,
John :)

@ Humphammer

GOOD to know on your Sony S560, my Sony S560 will be here this afternoon.

What firmware version are you running? 006 or the latest 007?

Or maybe even a older version?

:agree:

As SlySoft say about Cinavia, "We're going to remove it".
I know there is not yet a timescale as to when Cinavia will be removed, but whether a player detects it or not is now not relevent??
Just hold off buying a recent BluRay player until then if possible :)

With no timeline as to when it's going to get removed, the next solution is to buy a player that doesn't detect it. Besides, the removal is more than likely going to force you to decode the audio to LPCM if you want to retain HD quality, thus taking up more space. So, a player that doesn't worry about it is still a good thing whether it's removed or not, depending on your point of view.

With no timeline as to when it's going to get removed, the next solution is to buy a player that doesn't detect it.
No, the obvious solution is to play the bloody original disc, and take good care of it! Your little kids don't need to see The Losers anyway, do they!:rolleyes:

No, the obvious solution is to play the bloody original disc, and take good care of it! Your little kids don't need to see The Losers anyway, do they!:rolleyes:

I take it you've never had a BD come loose in the "very sturdy boxes" they come in and fall onto the floor when you open it? One little scratch can be the end of these super high quality discs. :disagree: Case in point I went to watch my Star Trek disc the other day with my son and it had a spot that would not read at all. And it's stored in the case and taken very good care of. Yea, BD's are some of the most fragile discs I've seen.

You must be new around here:D

Remember, AnyDVD isn't just for backing up, but for allowing people to play the "originals" on non-HDCP hardware. Some would probably say this is the original intent of AnyDVD.

I'm sure if you're spending upwards of $30 for a disk, you are no doubt going to take care of it. The issue is that some of these disk are made with craptastically low quality materials and i'm guessing they probably wouldn't last 10 years being exposed to air.

So at some point, you might not even have the originals anymore.

Remember, AnyDVD isn't just for backing up, but for allowing people to play the "originals" on non-HDCP hardware.
But...I was commenting on a grand total of one disc to-date, "The Losers". For which Cinavia is the only issue, though not an issue if you play the friggin' original disc! :bang:

But...I was commenting on a grand total of one disc to-date, "The Losers". For which Cinavia is the only issue, though not an issue if you play the friggin' original disc! :bang:

It's also not an issue for me, either, as I use software players. So, what's the point? People in this thread aren't talking about getting a player for ONE disc. Are you delusional and believe this one disc is all that's going to be released or something? I don't get your point at all.

I use AnyDVD only because my 55in tv has component and no HDCP and I still want 1080. So I do play all my original disc however as soon as my commercial software player gets updated it will be the end of that...

Duke, have you ever heard the saying, "you're missing the forest for the trees"?

It's not about this one disk, it's about the fact that they will be sticking this crap on probably every disk if it has even a modicum of success.

What if I don't WANT to play the original disk? That defeats the whole point of making my own movie server. What if I don't want to invest in HDCP compliant hardware to play my originals?

So the point i'm trying to make is that it isn't about one disk, it's about denying the studios the control they seek in telling me how to consume the media that i've purchased.

The moment that I upload a copyrighted video to the net or start selling copies of my purchased media, then by all means, they are justified in being upset with me. But as long as I'm backing up my media for watching on my home media center or my wife's ipod, or laptop.....then they just need to stay off my lawn!!!!!!

I fully endorse SamuriHL's remarks. In addition, if they start putting Cinavia in licensed software players (PDVD, WinDVD, TMT, etc.), then they won't properly play Cinavia discs with AnyDVD HD enabled, since AnyDVD HD strips out AACS--thus activating Cinavia. That's why it's important even for those playing strictly from original discs.

Since it's certainly not possible for AnyDVD to decode, strip Cinavia from, and possibly re-encode audio codecs (especially HD) on-the-fly, it'll take a two-pronged solution to attack Cinavia:
  • The "non-HDCP" crowd will have to switch to unlicensed software players, like the ones SamuriHL uses now (or eventually SlyPlayer).
  • The "backup" and "play anywhere" crowd will need CloneBD to take the necessary time to decode, strip the watermark, and re-encode (or keep as LPCM).

The "non-HDCP" crowd will have to switch to unlicensed software players, like the ones SamuriHL uses now (or eventually SlyPlayer).

Or, like I've suggested, keep a backup of the existing software players up to the point where they add Cinavia and use those with AnyDVD. :)

Or, like I've suggested, keep a backup of the existing software players up to the point where they add Cinavia and use those with AnyDVD. :)
That's kinda like what I do now; I use PDVD 7.3 with the latest updates. However, it's getting long in the tooth--the only way I could play an HD DVD in-sync the other day was to remux to an AVCHD folder and play it on my PS3 (which, unfortunately, I'm giving up for financial reasons). Might have to just go buy TMT3.

I purchased a Sony BDP S560 ( released in July 2009 ) Yesterday it played The Losers back-up perfectly....I have ordered a Sony BDP 960 that is the 400 disc Blu-Ray changer....I will have it Thursday and try it as well....it was released in October 2009 so we will see.

were you playing a dvdrip or bdrip? as the dvd isn't protected. Which country is your bluray player from and what firmware version does it have?

Has slysoft managed to get a hold of any Cinivia protected blurays yet? Would be good if they could test several bluray players and make a list of players and firmware versions that do and don't have cinivia.

That's kinda like what I do now; I use PDVD 7.3 with the latest updates. However, it's getting long in the tooth--the only way I could play an HD DVD in-sync the other day was to remux to an AVCHD folder and play it on my PS3 (which, unfortunately, I'm giving up for financial reasons). Might have to just go buy TMT3.

I'm a big fan of TMT. It's my favorite commercial player. It's not very good at DVD playback on my machine, but, for HD DVD and BD it rocks. I've taken to converting my HD DVD's to MKV's lately. I just don't see HD DVD playback as being long for this world. I'd not be surprised to see it removed when TMT4 comes out. It just doesn't make business sense to keep supporting it. Anyway, it's a great player, decent support, and at the moment still has HD DVD and folder playback support. Not too shabby. :)

just a quick one guys, have read through all this but couldn't find an answer to this - if you did a direct 1:1 copy on a bd50 of the losers, whats the outcome with the new protection? Im assuming it would be working fine, but cant find an answer anywhere!

Back