• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Suggestions for CloneDVD2 improvements

K

Kringles

Other forums (Afterdawn, CDFreaks, etc) have included various suggestions for improving CloneDVD. I will list some that I recall;

1.) Option to verify written data
2.) Current Read/Write Speed "real time" display
3.) Setting play order for titles copied without menus
4.) Setting default subtitle / audio stream for titles copied without menus
5.) Merging discs
6.) Easier splitting
7.) Removing material from menus
8.) Playback audio on preview
9.) Improve the way the 'layer break' is handled on DL so that original 'layer break' is retained. (I know CloneCD does this already)
10.) The ability to set compresson levels by title
11.) The ability to set start and end frames in any title
12.) The ability to set default subtitles and audio stream for any title
13.) The ability to set the sequence included titles are to be played on the backup (when menus are not included)
14.) The ability to select titles from multiple directories on the hard disk for inclusion in a backup

Many of these features are available in DVDShrink/DVD Decrypter but would make CloneDVD2 much better.

Do not want to take credit, most of these were posted in the following threads at CDFreaks;
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=141644
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=139161

regards
kringles

edit; This post is no way a complaint about CloneDVD2, just suggestions to make a great program even better!

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing...

First of all, I do not want to complain about CloneDVD at all...I think it is a fantastic piece of software and the way these guys are constantly updating AnyDVD and CloneDVD shows a true commitment to quality and customer service. That being said, the ONLY thing I really wish I could do but am unable to is have more flexibility over which chapters are copied. Currently it seems you can only erase chapters from the beginning and/or the end...occaisionally I would like to get the first few chapters, not some in the middle, and again towards the end. Keep up the great work guys!

The one feature I would really like to see is an easy One Step AUTOMATIC split feature, this would be really great with movies longer than 120 minutes or for those movies you want to keep intact.

I want better handling of scratched disks - create filler

I love CloneDVD too.

==> The thing that I'd most like to see improved is the ability to "fill in" or make some correction or allowance for a scratched source disk. Rather than lose the whole movie I'd be glad to settle for a short period of black screen or white screen or whatever. Maybe the sound could fade out and then back in so it wouldn't be too abrupt. Or just jump to the next good frame. Make this an option so that folks who want perfection or nothing will not be upset.

I have a few other suggestions I'll post separately, but this is the heavy hitter.

Thanks

Arbie

First of all, I do not want to complain about CloneDVD at all...I think it is a fantastic piece of software and the way these guys are constantly updating AnyDVD and CloneDVD shows a true commitment to quality and customer service. That being said, the ONLY thing I really wish I could do but am unable to is have more flexibility over which chapters are copied. Currently it seems you can only erase chapters from the beginning and/or the end...occaisionally I would like to get the first few chapters, not some in the middle, and again towards the end. Keep up the great work guys!

use VOB Blanker . its a great tool and it freeware

Kringles, Why would you want to take a beautifully easy program
and load it up with all kinds of junk that would delay the whole process
of copying. I say keep it simple

1.) Option to verify written data

I believe this might be difficult to implement due to Anydvd running in the background. Anydvd, by its nature, changes data on the fly. As it is, having Anydvd running the background when verifying with Imgburn can produce verfication errors. This is not a fault of Anydvd, since Anydvd is working as it's intended.

Improve the way the 'layer break' is handled on DL so that original 'layer break' is retained. (I know CloneCD does this already)

This is impossible due to the fact Clonedvd2 is a transcoder based burning application. Nero Recode and Shrink can't do this either (they are use transcoders). Using Verbatim +R DL discs with Clonecd and Anydvd one Slysoft solution for retaining the original layer break position.

"Only 1:1 sector copiers (DVDDecrypter, CloneCD) can maintain the original layer break position as the physical positions of the files is not altered, and they can only do this with DVD+R DL media. DVD-R DL media can NOT change the layer break position."--James
from http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1394398&postcount=30

Last edited:
==> The thing that I'd most like to see improved is the ability to "fill in" or make some correction or allowance for a scratched source disk.

http://www.slysoft.com/download/changes_clonedvd.txt

Clonedvd2 has already since version 2.8.8.1:

"Version 2.8.8.1: 2006 02 15

- New: Automatic read retries (20 times), allows copying of
scratched discs"

One purpose of Clonedvd2 is to produce a backup; it's not intended to replace video data with white space or "filler".

If you have a bad original, exchange it. When you buy your original, back it up right away.

By the way, attempting to backup badly scratched discs constantly can wear out your reader more quickly.

Last edited:
What I have seen of CloneDvd2 is all good. IF adding anything else I would opt for the Option to verify written data and maybe to show the current Read/Write Speed "real time" display.

If anyone wants to author DVD movies, you need to think on the DVD authoring software. CloneDvd2 is a backup tool. It also works with image files and that is a big plus versus most other DVD backup programs out there! Maybe more options would be nice as long as it fits in with how the program is designed to work and not effect the overall quality it now is.

Everyone wants a one software solution to all things they want to do. Slysoft products work as they are meant to, as is. Keeping up with what they do with what they are up against can't be easy. The more complicated a thing becomes adding stuff to it can eventually hurt the overall performance of it. Just my opinion...

Last edited:
My thoughts:

> 1.) Option to verify written data
Agreed.

> 2.) Current Read/Write Speed "real time" display
Agreed.

> 3.) Setting play order for titles copied without menus
Oh, yes!

> 4.) Setting default subtitle / audio stream for titles copied without menus
Not as useful as you might think (your player should do it correctly), but yes.

> 5.) Merging discs
Yes, you anime fans.

> 6.) Easier splitting
Absolutely.

> 7.) Removing material from menus
Difficult.

> 8.) Playback audio on preview
Oh, yes!

> 9.) Improve the way the 'layer break' is handled on DL so that original 'layer break' is retained. (I know CloneCD does this already)
Won't work.

> 10.) The ability to set compresson levels by title
I don't think this is really necessary. Clever people split the extras on a seperate disc anyway.

> 11.) The ability to set start and end frames in any title
Impossible if you want to keep the menu (and don't want a still graphic a la Shrink).

> 12.) The ability to set default subtitles and audio stream for any title
Didn't you already said that in 4?

> 13.) The ability to set the sequence included titles are to be played on the backup (when menus are not included)
Yes!

> 14.) The ability to select titles from multiple directories on the hard disk for inclusion in a backup
Same as 5.

> Many of these features are available in DVDShrink/DVD Decrypter but would make CloneDVD2 much better. <

DVDDshrink - yes, but DVDDecrypter?
But that's exactly the point. Nothing stops you from using Shrink which costs nada together with CloneDVD. (Until CloneDVD gets all these features)

@James,

Thanks for your rapid response. I realize that some items (4 &5, 12 & 14) were similar but as I stated I was trying to summarize what had been stated in the previous referenced threads.

DVD Decrypter was mentioned as I have used it to burn and verify in conjunction with DVD Shrink and as a standalone (with AnyDVD) to rip and burn an ISO image to DVD DL media. Used AnyDVD in background on both rip/burn and verify works fine. Also the layer break is preseved on an ISO copy. Could not CloneDVD2 do this on a DL disk that required no compression/transcoding?

As per your advice I have been using a combination of AnyDVD, CloneDVD2, CloneCD, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink.

Don't know if DVDD and Shrink work on a Vista platform (they may in XP compatability mode) but if they don't I would like to use CloneDVD2 to replace them as it is already compatible with Vista (along with the other Slysoft products).

I know you (Slysoft) are busy keeping AnyDVD up to date with the latest schemes, keep up the good work. Hope you can find the resources to update CloneDVD2. IMO it is great as is but would be fantastic with these changes.

@Br8ys
Agreed CloneDVD2 is a great program but do not think that these type of changes would "load it up with all kinds of junk that would delay the whole process of copying". Most of them would be options, they should be able to be done without causing any complications or delay.

best regards

Last edited by a moderator:
DVD Decrypter was mentioned as I have used it to burn and verify in conjunction with DVD Shrink and as a standalone (with AnyDVD) to rip and burn an ISO image to DVD DL media. Used AnyDVD in background on both rip/burn and verify works fine. Also the layer break is preseved on an ISO copy. Could not CloneDVD2 do this on a DL disk that required no compression/transcoding?
I see, you mentioned DVD Decrypter for burning! :doh:
CloneDVD can not and will not preserve the layer break. It only reads files through the windows filesystem. It does not read sectors.

As per your advice I have been using a combination of AnyDVD, CloneDVD2, CloneCD, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink.

Don't know if DVDD and Shrink work on a Vista platform
AFAIK they do.

Hello James,
My first post on your new forum :clap: ... no avatars yet though. I guess old fans all start out with a zero post-count here.:(

Well you already know what I want: a nice little graphic-screen title-set that displays at the end of disk1 of a split movie that reads something like "Please Insert Disk2".

I thought you might give that to me for a Christmas present but it never came.:disagree: BTW, thats why I didn't get you a present either.;)

Best regards,
Whisperer

Last edited:
Hi Whisperer,
Hello James,
Well you already know what I want: a nice little graphic-screen title-set that displays at the end of disk1 of a split movie that reads something like "Please Insert Disk2".

I thought you might give that to me for a Christmas present but it never came.:disagree: BTW, thats why I didn't get you a present either.;)

Best regards,
Whisperer
I haven't forgotten.:) The problem is, that CloneDVD currently has no idea what the disc 1 or the disc 2 will be. At the moment you can create disc 2 first, then disc 1. Or you could leave out parts of a title on both discs, so you don't want the graphic at all.
I know, this can be all solved, but it ain't a "quick fix".

i wish clonedvd 2 would have an option for "Deep Analysis" to get better picture quality on higher compressed movies

Multiple Recorders

Tried a search, but couldn't locate this feature.

Multiple recorders would be a nice feature. Thinking of attaching three additional DVD writers to my MythTV box via SATA cables. Writing 4 copies at once would be interesting.

Hmmm sent this to Slysoft before I joined the forum:

1) Option to rearrange order of play when selecting only certain titles
of a DVD to copy AND be able to relink movie titles to new arrangement, (something lacking in DVDShrink)

i.e. Original movie title order: 1-main movie 4-movie short 12-music video
new arrangement: 12, 4, 1. In DVD shrink this is possible but you cannot skip from 12-4 or 4-1 like you do chapters rather you have to fast forward to get to the next title. Currently using DVD Fab Plat to do this and it does work... most of the time but other than that I don't much like the program and would love this in CloneDVD.

2) SOUND, where is the SOUND, this also is another great feature of
DVD Shrink, it’s very nice to be able to watch the different titles in order
to choose which ones you want to keep and along with sound... DVDFab Plat also has these features... I guess... under Vista Ultimate x64 nothing shows up in it's play box.

3) real time movie play, along with absence of sound this also is a bit annoying as the frame skipping makes it difficult to watch.

4) IF you choose to keep subtitles, option to NOT play them autimatically when movie starts if you are ONLY keeping the movie and not the menus/extras... don't know if this is possible but would be nice.

I see 3 ways of doing this:
a) add them into CloneDVD under Advanced User Options :agree:

b) a seperate DVD authoring program from Slysoft, where one would have to clone the whole DVD then use the seperate authoring program to choose the features you want :disagree:, I ONLY suggest this second part because that is already what I am having to do but would rather do it with a program made by Slysoft than the ones I currently HAVE to use

c) a 3rd option, offer a CloneDVD Pro version with the extra options. This way those who WANT the extra features get them, those who want CloneDVD to only do what it currently does get to have that as well with the possiblity to upgrade to the pro version if they want at a future date?

I know this is extra work for Slysoft that they probably can't afford to do right now but I think it would be a great improvement on an already great program because personally while there are a couple other programs that do offer these features I find I only use them when absolutely necessary for the features listed above, even then I still use CloneDVD to make the initial copy of the movie.

Back