• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] No DVD Drive detected

I just recently updated to the latest anydvd version 6.5.8.7. After the download and installation I restarted the computer as prompted and upon startup received this error message:

NO DVD Drive detected!
Possible reasons:
1- You don't have a dvd drvie, buy one.
2-You haven't rebooted your system after AnyDvd has been installed. Please restart your computer.
3- Your external DVD drive is not powered on or is not properly connected.
4. There is a problem initialising the AnyDVD driver. If this is the case try this:
Uninstall AnyDVD
Reboot
Install AnyDVD
Reboot.

The first 3 are not possible as I do have a dvd drive and it is internal not external and as said had already rebooted the system. Sooo I tried option 4 with the same result. I don't know what to do. I never had this problem before when updating.

I am running Windows Vista if that makes a difference at all, and would appreciate any help.

I followed your link and one of the things suggested for Vista was this:

1. If User Account Control is active, you’ll need to allow the Slysoft programs to run at the elevated level. Do whatever you have to do to tell User Account Control to play nice with Slysoft. Disable User Account Control if you absolutely have to (but only do so as a last resort).

I don't understand. How do you allow slysoft to run at the elevated level? My dvd drive doesn't show at all and won't even play a dvd since installing the new update.

How do you allow slysoft to run at the elevated level?

You can typically ignore that now. But I would still, personally, turn off User Account Control, especially if you already have security software installed.

Again, go through the steps, in particular steps 1 and 4.

Last edited:
Which steps? There are links everywhere and I'm not understanding what it is you want me to do. I also have no idea how to turn off user account control.

As far as the filters....and again not entirely sure if doing this right but this is what I came up with:
----------------------------------------------------
Filter Driver Load Order http://www.bustrace.com

Upper Filter Drivers: No Upper Filter Drivers specified for this device.
Device Object: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40N ATA Device
Lower Class Filter: PxHlpa64
Lower Class Filter: ASAPIW2k
Lower Class Filter: AnyDVD

Driver Name: pxhlpa64.sys
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for 64-bit Windows
File Version: 3.00.56a [3.0.56.0]
Product Name: PxHelp64
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions

Driver Name: anydvd.sys
File Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver
File Version: 6.5.8.7 [6.5.8.7]
Product Name: AnyDVD
Product Version: 6.5.8.7 [6.5.8.7]
Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.

Follow the steps, step by step:

1. Do what mike_r wrote below with respect to User Account Control.

Problematic Filter PxHlpa64
The process Px Engine Device Driver for 64-bit Windows belongs to the software PxHelp or PxHlpa by Sonic Solutions (www.sonic.com). It is sometimes installed with Winamp as a burner plugin:

Code:
PxHlpa64 (System32\Drivers\PxHlpa64.sys), Version: 3.0.78.0 (2.0.0.0)
Company: Sonic Solutions
Product: PxHelp64
Copyright: Copyright © Sonic Solutions
Description: Px Engine Device Driver for 64-bit Windows
FileVersion: 3.00.78a

Asapiw2k.sys - Used by Pinnacle Studio 9 by Pinnacle systems or VOB Computersysteme GMBH

It's a bit weird that this entry is listed, but there's no corresponding information (or actual corresponding driver file installed on your hard drive), which may actually be the real problem.

Refer here for an list of known problematic filters.

Remove the problematic filter(s) from your registry:

• Create a backup of your registry. Refer here for how to do so.
  • Download ImgBurn (freeware).
  • Start ImgBurn and go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order...
  • Select "PxHlpa64". Click Remove Selected Filter. Select "ASAPIW2k." Click "remove selected filter". Click OK.
  • Reboot.

Keep in mind that the programs that installed those entries in your registry may no longer function properly.

3. Exit out of all Slysoft programs and reinstall

a) Keep your license key file backed up safely
b) Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
c) Reboot
d) Backup your registry: click http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756
e) Use a registry cleaner program at this point like CCleaner (click the underlined text). Select the registry tab on the left. Select scan all. Fix the listed problems.
f) Reboot
g) Download Anydvd http://static.slysoft.com/SetupAnyDVD.exe
h) Exit all Slysoft programs (including Anydvd, Clonedvd2, Clonecd, Clonecdtray, Clonedvdmobile, etc.). Check Windows Task Manager if you have to.
i) At this point disable your antivirus and firewall programs
j) Reinstall
k) Reboot
l) Install your license key (if required) http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=732
m) At this point enable your antivirus and firewall programs

Last edited:
see here for UAC

Quite straightforward. Press the Windows logo. Type Local Security Policy {enter} in the box. A window opens. On the left side select Local Policies, Security Options. Then on the right side, select User Account Control: Behaviour of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin approval mode (it's at the bottom). Select Elevate without prompting. You're done.

Which steps? There are links everywhere and I'm not understanding what it is you want me to do. I also have no idea how to turn off user account control.

As far as the filters....and again not entirely sure if doing this right but this is what I came up with:
Filter Driver Load Order http://www.bustrace.com

Upper Filter Drivers: No Upper Filter Drivers specified for this device.
Device Object: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40N ATA Device
Lower Class Filter: PxHlpa64
Lower Class Filter: AnyDVD

Driver Name: pxhlpa64.sys
File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for 64-bit Windows
File Version: 3.00.56a [3.0.56.0]
Product Name: PxHelp64
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions

Driver Name: anydvd.sys
File Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver
File Version: 6.5.8.7 [6.5.8.7]
Product Name: AnyDVD
Product Version: 6.5.8.7 [6.5.8.7]
Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.
Looks like the ASAPIW2k (a very old driver) is in the registry, but the driver file is missing. Delete the entry with ImgBurn as Webslinger has suggested, reboot, and your drive(s) should reappear.

see here for UAC

Quite straightforward. Press the Windows logo. Type Local Security Policy {enter} in the box. A window opens. On the left side select Local Policies, Security Options. Then on the right side, select User Account Control: Behaviour of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin approval mode (it's at the bottom). Select Elevate without prompting. You're done.
I might add, that it is *not* necessary to disable UAC for AnyDVD (or CloneCD, CloneDVD, Virtuaö CloneDrive, ReClock, ...) to work properly.

I don't feel very comfortable deleting filters from the registry and afraid of messing things up more than what they are.

Even uninstalling anydvd doesn't bring the drive back. Windows isn't detecting it period and my computer manufacturer is recommending a system restore or taking it back to the shop. What did this update do to my computer? Sorry for sounding so negative but it seems there is a real problem with this update and now the drive isn't working at all.

I don't feel very comfortable deleting filters from the registry and afraid of messing things up more than what they are.

Even uninstalling anydvd doesn't bring the drive back. Windows isn't detecting it period and my computer manufacturer is recommending a system restore or taking it back to the shop. What did this update do to my computer? Sorry for sounding so negative but it seems there is a real problem with this update and now the drive isn't working at all.

Removing the filters as instructed simply removes them from being loaded. It doesn't delete the file from your system and reinstalling the software that originally installed the filter will just re-install it.

In particular, PxHlpa64.sys has been shown to cause serious problems. If you don't remove the filters then attempting to troubleshoot simply isn't possible. Problematic things need to be removed to eliminate the sources of problems so that the actual source can be located.

If you want to go the route of the computer manufacturer and do a restore or returning the system to the shop then that's up to you but manufacturers aren't exactly the best people at helping resolve a problem due to the approaches I've seen them take.

Ok I will try deleting and see what happens.

If you just do this, it's almost guaranteed your drives will pop back.

• Create a backup of your registry. Refer here for how to do so.
  • Download ImgBurn (freeware).
  • Start ImgBurn and go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order...
  • Select "PxHlpa64". Click Remove Selected Filter. Select "ASAPIW2k." Click "remove selected filter". Click OK.
  • Reboot.

That worked, thank you very much. In retrospect it seems that some patch for pinnacle studios 10 for vista caused the problem. Thanks again for the help and sorry for being such a pain. Really tired today due to lack of sleep and having a lot of frustration over the new computer in general and Windows Vista in particular.

That worked, thank you very much. In retrospect it seems that some patch for pinnacle studios 10 for vista caused the problem.

Yes, it caused this to happen:

Looks like the ASAPIW2k (a very old driver) is in the registry, but the driver file is missing. Delete the entry with ImgBurn as Webslinger has suggested, reboot, and your drive(s) should reappear.

That is, ASAPIW2k was listed in your registry's filter stack. But the actual file itself, ASAPIW2k.sys, wasn't on your hard drive. That Pinnacle patch deleted the file but not the corresponding filter entry located in your registry. In other words, the patch didn't do a very good job.

When that happens, Windows makes your drives go *poof*.

PxHlpa64 can cause conflicts with Anydvd. So I just had you remove that anyway. But PxHlpa64 being listed in your registry wasn't the reason you were getting that specific error message from Anydvd. Whatever program installed PXHlpa64 may no longer function properly (it may be a winamp burner plugin--or something associated with a Sonic program). But at least you're less likely to have problems running Anydvd now.

Take care

Last edited:
The only fix which worked for me was to do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start , type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.

3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs.

See which Windows updates are installed
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/See-which-Windows-updates-are-installed

Just an fyi buddy, this thread is almost a year old so I'm guessing whatever problem they were having has been solved a long time ago.

Back