• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Paramount to use BD+ protection

... which keeps my job safe. ;)

*sigh* slysoft is so talented and there is _so much_ that needs to be done to make HTPCs all they might be that I cry at the engineering effort that goes into crippling the media & players and then makeing them usable again.

Imagine if all the effort they and you and eveyone (AACS forum, Macrovision, Cyberlink, MS, Intel/AMD/Nvidia, etc.) put into this "feature" had instead been focused on making a compelling consumer friendly set of interoperable products. Or business models.

And for what? A < 1 month delay before bitpefect isos are available for widespread infringement? (I wonder what the S/N ratio is for a sony 1080p 24 camcorder on a tripod in a dark living room watching a ps3 decoded blu-ray over HDMI to a bravia screen. But I digress. But then the rocket scientists keep trying to scramble a video from it's intended recipients, their customers).

Macrovision must have one heck of a sales team.

Yet, as I've said before. It must be fun to keep shooting these well funded fish in the barrel like ya keep doing.

My HD PVR can be connected to component output and optical input to record 1080i and 5.1 ac3 audio so whatever protection they come up with is useless anyway. It's wasted time, effort, and money on everyone's part to protect these movies. Pirates will pirate. Honest people will get screwed as always.

My HD PVR can be connected to component output and optical input to record 1080i and 5.1 ac3 audio so whatever protection they come up with is useless anyway. It's wasted time, effort, and money on everyone's part to protect these movies. Pirates will pirate. Honest people will get screwed as always.

Heh, I almost forgot about the 1212.

And I was almost hoping the very unfortunate recurrence of real piracy in the news would start to cause people to call infringers infringers instead of "pirates"

Heh, I almost forgot about the 1212.

And I was almost hoping the very unfortunate recurrence of real piracy in the news would start to cause people to call infringers infringers instead of "pirates"

Yea, it's not really piracy. This is true. Infringement is as good a word as any. Nonetheless, those hellbent on stealing content will do so. Those that pay for it always end up getting the shaft with all the restrictions placed upon them. Fortunately we have companies like Slysoft fighting for our fair use. Would your HTPC be nearly as useful if it weren't for Slysoft? Hardly. BD+ is just another thorn in our back side. We'll let the experts deal with it. ;)

Would your HTPC be nearly as useful if it weren't for Slysoft?

Honestly I would have stuck with my PS3 as a Blu Ray player and a Dish DVR as my 'digital media server' if AnyDVD wasn't around. Of all the time, effort and money I've spent on a Blu ray-capable HTPC, none of it would have happened otherwise in my case. :)

OK, suck-up mode OFF...but its true.

I never would have bothered with HTPC at all if it weren't for AnyDVD. So, a lot of companies owe Slysoft IMO. :)

As much as the software player companies may work to prevent AnyDVD HD from being able to easily do things due to the pressure placed upon them by the BDA and such, those same companies have made far more sales, IMHO, due to what AnyDVD HD can do which actually benefits them.

I couldn't agree more. The ability to put my most watched movies on my HTPC for easy mounting and playback....that's a huge plus and makes me want to buy MORE movies not less.

Except that is an analog copy, which is a generation loss. Even though it's HD, an analog generation loss copy has always been more palatable than a direct digital copy, to the DMCA freaks.

Which is ridiculously stupid. They spend all their time worrying about protecting the highest quality content when that's NEVER been the issue. DVD's got compressed to DivX and shared. Now they're downsampling audio being sent over a protected HDMI path. Idiots.

The audio downsampling issue is interesting in that

(1) the sampling rate difference is audibly indistinguishable (barring decoding issues), and
(2) they absolutely didn't have to go higher than 16/48 for full quality (see #1:D ).

It seems to me that they promise invisible dragons in our garages, then say if you don't have a PAP, we won't be giving you your invisible dragon, but you can have that perfectly visible car in the garage anyway.

Not to beat a dead horse...:D It's just the downsampling requirement/"issue" seems so silly to me.

I have a HTPC connected via analog (YUV), so I'm dependent on AnyDVDHD and will not buy / rent discs that cannot be handled by AnyDVDHD. Of course studios are free to put BD+ onto their discs, but at the same time will lose a customer.

The audio downsampling issue is interesting in that

(1) the sampling rate difference is audibly indistinguishable (barring decoding issues), and
(2) they absolutely didn't have to go higher than 16/48 for full quality (see #1:D ).

It seems to me that they promise invisible dragons in our garages, then say if you don't have a PAP, we won't be giving you your invisible dragon, but you can have that perfectly visible car in the garage anyway.

Not to beat a dead horse...:D It's just the downsampling requirement/"issue" seems so silly to me.

Yup. I couldn't agree more. It's completely ridiculous.

Yup. I couldn't agree more. It's completely ridiculous.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to circumvent the audio downsampling using AnyDVD HD?

Sure, it may be audibly indistinguishable, but still, I like everything in the highest quality possible.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to circumvent the audio downsampling using AnyDVD HD?

Sure, it may be audibly indistinguishable, but still, I like everything in the highest quality possible.

No. It's done by the player software as it decodes the audio into LPCM. Nothing AnyDVD or Reclock for that matter can do about it.

No. It's done by the player software as it decodes the audio into LPCM. Nothing AnyDVD or Reclock for that matter can do about it.

Well, this is correct, but...

Downsampling is only required by the specs, if AACS is present. Similar to HDCP.

AnyDVD = no AACS = no HDCP requirement = no downsample requirement.

Unfortunately the players didn't read the specs, or didn't understand it.
At least Cyberlink has announced to stop downsampling, if no AACS is on the disc in a future version. (Sorry, don't have a link to quote).

That's absolutely correct. Apparently a future version of PDVD 9 will indeed stop downsampling if no AACS is present. Let's hope they keep their word on that and really do it. Of course, I no longer own PDVD 9 and am not likely to.

That's absolutely correct. Apparently a future version of PDVD 9 will indeed stop downsampling if no AACS is present. Let's hope they keep their word on that and really do it. Of course, I no longer own PDVD 9 and am not likely to.

Maybe ArcSoft will do the same to be competitive, unless some "agreement" forces them otherwise.

I have no idea what WinDVD does.

While I think even the presumably "crappy" downsampling of PowerDVD likely is still a non-issue (contrary to most of you I guess), I don't know if I can trust what the CL guy at AVS said. Was that the source you guys are referring to?

Maybe ArcSoft will do the same to be competitive, unless some "agreement" forces them otherwise.

That'd be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath. I can ask Jason on the Arcsoft forum to look into it.

I have no idea what WinDVD does.

Does anyone? :D

Back