• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Paramount to use BD+ protection

DoomBot

This just sucks :mad:

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced that it has become the second major Hollywood studio to license Macrovision’s BD+ copy-protection for Blu-ray Discs, following Fox as the only studios to use the extra layer of protection.

The deal also includes licenses for ACP and RipGuard, technologies used for copy-protection in DVDs and video streams.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/17841.cfm

I wish to Paramount all the same successes Fox has seen with BD+. ;)

Oh yey. That's likely to be an incredible "investment" for them. :rolleyes:

The article I saw said Paramount was happy if BD+ kept the movie from being copied in the first week of release--an obvious nod at how long it took SlySoft to crack Slumdog.

But then, that misses the point: The real pirates cracked the movie before it was even released to theaters, much less DVD or Blu-ray. When will the movie industry finally learn what the music industry had to learn the hard way: You can't make money by putting limits on what your paying customers can do, even in the name of stopping piracy???

Oh yey. That's likely to be an incredible "investment" for them. :rolleyes:

Why don't I get paid a gigantic salary to make idiotic decisions?

The world is so stupid, and this is just a small tip of the iceberg. :(

*sigh*

Anyway, I'll trundle off now . . .

I thought Peer was the one who was cracking BD+. Am I missing something here :confused:

I believe the individual developers have their own specialties but it takes them all to release the full products. As long as protections exist and evolve then this keeps all the developers employed because someone has to find a way to handle said protections. :)

Last edited:
Just a quick question

Marvel and Dreamworks are distributed by Paramount picture as well.
Do you think Marvel and Dreamworks will include BD+, ACP and Ripguard as well ?

It's certainly possible. What a pain. Like we really need this nonsense? How does it benefit anyone including the studios?

Not to mention your bad disc guide might not work with rip guard in place.

I think they'll just employ that on dvds. Also useless . . .

Oh well when time comes we will know for sure. It only serve as a warning that blu-ray may also include ripguard near in future.

Oh well when time comes we will know for sure. It only serve as a warning that blu-ray may also include ripguard near in future.

Can they actually employ Ripguard on Blu-rays (much less BD+ and Ripguard) without screwing up playback in standalone players? I'm a little skeptical

While I agree with your point of view, but if you remember how Sony arccoss messed up the some of the DVD. It wouldn't play on standalone. Based on that I am thinking yes it can happen again with BD+ as well though I am not sure. After all some studios really don't care about being consumer freindly and fair use at all.

Last edited:
There's been talk of structural protections on BD for a while now. So far we've not seen any. If and when it happens then I'll have to change some of my guides. Ripping with protection will no longer be an option, as well. But we're not at that point yet and if they did break compatibility with stand alone players they'd get the same uproar that happened when they did so on DVD's. That forced them to change it and reissue certain discs. A costly lesson to be sure. Not that it mattered...all the major rippers handled it within days.

I´m just wondering why Sony dont use BD+:bang:
On the other hand i dont think Paramount is as stupid to use that much different versions on their releases like Fox.

Like i understand that, Macrovision will run out of options sooner or later.

Back