• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD 9... start your bashing in 3, 2, 1...

I think James is more likely to spend his time getting Slyplayer out ;)

I know. That really truly sucks. The only thing I can tell you and James is to open an issue with customer support and tell them that you want to switch, but, it doesn't work. Give them detailed info on the problem. The more people that report it, the more likely it is to get fixed.

Did that with version 2 and never got anywhere so I gave up, I'll wait for the Slysoft player, might as well give my money to a company that listens

Did that with version 2 and never got anywhere so I gave up, I'll wait for the Slysoft player, might as well give my money to a company that listens

Completely understandable. That's how I feel about Cyberlink at this point.

PowerDVD 9 Ultra build 1530 released.

Any chance they fixed the audio issues (nothing mentioned in the rerease notes)?

Edit

As I read @ avs, they did not fix it.

The guys at Cyberlink must be using drugs.... :p

Last edited:
They're still evaluating the bug. How is that even possible? It's freaking pathetic. Glad I got my refund!

Don't worry, the Auzentech card will fix everything...:D

Uhh, yeaaaaaa, that's it. :) I suspect, btw, the auzentech will have the same PAP driver issues as our Xonar. I could be wrong but it'll be interesting to see if, er, I mean once the vapor card is ever released. When a PAP isn't requested, will reclock work with the vapor card's drivers? I'll be watching that one closely. Someday. :)

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. Fat chance I'll get THAT card, even if it does come out, if it only works with PDVD9.

Yup. I'd like to see Cyberlink succeed and get all the problems fixed, but, PowerDVD 8 really made me lose hope in the company completely. PDVD 9 isn't doing any better and in fact has gotten worse. Add to that fact that the vapor card hasn't been released due to driver problems (big surprise...they're Creative based) and you've got quite the combination. I'll stick to PDVD 7.

The new version seems to load a bit faster. The old one was annoyingly slow to load. Not sure about any fixes other than supporting new discs.

There is also an unpublished PowerDVD7 Ultra 7.3.5105 update. This update apparently allows playback of Slumdog Millionaire whereas previous versions didn't. It probably also supports Marley & Me. I've seen a report that this update can cause some audio problems, however.

There is also an unpublished PowerDVD7 Ultra 7.3.5105 update. This update apparently allows playback of Slumdog Millionaire whereas previous versions didn't. It probably also supports Marley & Me. I've seen a report that this update can cause some audio problems, however.

Downloaded and installed this update (found the link on AVSForum). As I expected, the audio is broken in this update the same way it is in PowerDVD 8 2521 and 2705 updates, and presumably PDVD 9:

In "2 speaker", ..., "8 speaker" setiings for "Speaker Environment" it does not honour the default sound card set in Windows, and always outputs to the internal laptop's sound card. The only way to output to HDMI now is to set "Speaker Environment" to "Use HDMI". But I hate this setting, as this way multichannel audio is very quiet if HDMI is connected to a stereo HDTV and probably not just quiet, but all the sound other than that from the 2 main channels is lost (perhaps if you connect it to a 7.1 receiver with all the speakers, it will be OK). That's why I always had "Speaker Environment" set to "2 speaker", and was selecting HDMI card using Windows. And I want the previous behaviour back!!!

So what if I continue using 4617a? Are the titles which do not work in it are only a few new BD+ titles from Fox which, I hope, AnyDVD will eventually handle? Or even if it does, they still won't play in 4617a because of some BD Java incompatibilities?

Downloaded and installed this update (found the link on AVSForum). As I expected, the audio is broken in this update the same way it is in PowerDVD 8 2521 and 2705 updates, and presumably PDVD 9:

In "2 speaker", ..., "8 speaker" setiings for "Speaker Environment" it does not honour the default sound card set in Windows, and always outputs to the internal laptop's sound card. The only way to output to HDMI now is to set "Speaker Environment" to "Use HDMI". But I hate this setting, as this way multichannel audio is very quiet if HDMI is connected to a stereo HDTV and probably not just quiet, but all the sound other than that from the 2 main channels is lost (perhaps if you connect it to a 7.1 receiver with all the speakers, it will be OK). That's why I always had "Speaker Environment" set to "2 speaker", and was selecting HDMI card using Windows. And I want the previous behaviour back!!!

So what if I continue using 4617a? Are the titles which do not work in it are only a few new BD+ titles from Fox which, I hope, AnyDVD will eventually handle? Or even if it does, they still won't play in 4617a because of some BD Java incompatibilities?

Well, I'm sure they had to update decryption stuff just like the regular updates with all the players. WinDVD9 had a March update, PowerDVD9 came out in March so they pushed back PowerDVD8 and PowerDVD7 updates to get people to buy v9. I really can't say what exactly has changed.

I would hope that you are correct and once AnyDVD HD handles the new BD+ then the version used won't matter with the currenly problematic discs and those releases in the near future. There will come a time, however, when older versions just won't work such as new BD profiles added in newer updates that are lacking in older ones.

On a side note, I heard a story about a woman who kept returning her BD copy of Australia because it wouldn't play on her standalone BD player. Apparently in order to play it she had to upgrade the player's firmware but she was clueless about it. The situation was resolved by her son after she returned the disc about 5 times claiming it just wouldn't work.

Last edited:
On a side note, I heard a story about a woman who kept returning her BD copy of Australia because it wouldn't play on her standalone BD player. Apparently in order to play it she had to upgrade the player's firmware but she was clueless about it. The situation was resolved by her son after she returned the disc about 5 times claiming it just wouldn't work.

The studios are doing their best to ensure that high-definition is meant for the tech savvy. This woman has probably told her friends what happened and imagine their reaction...
I can picture a Fox executive thinking "We will get you Slysoft", while hundreds of people struggle to make their discs play... :D

I realized this behavior with PowerDVD 2521 (even before the patch went up) and put up a support ticket back then. They asked me all kinds of irrelevant information but at last they said they were escalating the problem to the problem-fixing people. I'm sure they will fix it!:D

What a bunch of morons. No more Cyberlink for me.

My own terrible PowerDVD 9 Ultra experience...

So I bought the upgrade from PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra to PowerDVD 9 Ultra.

And now? If I put a Blu-Ray disc in my Blu-Ray drive, PowerDVD could not detect that it is even there (altho' AnyDVD HD can).

When I put a regular DVD in my regular DVD drive, or in the Blu-Ray drive, PowerDVD sees it, but crashes as soon as I try to play it.

Also, the Catalyst driver died and reset itself when PowerDVD started, on one occasion.

This is rather sucky.

Anyone else seeing this kind of behavior?

I'm using the current update as of this date for PowerDVD 9 Ultra, on Windows XP Pro, and the latest Catalyst drivers.

All around, this seems extremely flakey - how have people been at getting refunds?

- Tim

I got my refund without much trouble. I'm sure at least a couple of other people did as well. Haven't read of anyone who didn't get their refund eventually. It's supposed to be just a couple of clicks on your account, but just in case you might do well in letting them know via support how much their software sucks, and how little it works.

1531 patch is out now. It purportedly fixes the 2-channel HDMI audio. From the build number, I don't think it'd fix anything else.

Back