• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

SlySoft Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I'd like to drop the damn things down below the image into the black bar area to get it off the actual picture. It will be quite the player.

Except I am thinking of the exact opposite! ;)
F.i. to be able to display French subtitles on an english speaking movie in 2.35:1, while not loosing the lowest line.

That's completely fine with me. :) Being able to move them should satisfy both of us. :)

What about an option to move up subtitles, for people using 2.35:1 projection screens, with an anamorphic device? ;)

Why do you need to use an anamorphic "device" (lens?) for 2.35:1 movies? As far as I know, no movies are anamorphic 2.35:1 for home video. Or did you mean just mask the projected image?

By the way, it would have been amazing if in the bluray specs there were actual anamorphic 2.35:1 movies just like there are 16:9 for DVDs...

Last edited:
Question

If SlyPlayer will NOT use DirectShow as has been suggested, will there be any way to use the Codecs, such as the audio Codec, inside programs like SageTV, so that they can be used with all sources including Live TV, recorded TV, DVDs, etc and retain the multi-client operation of SageTV?

Audionut

Requests for slyplayer

2 requests:

1. Not sure if this is possible, but I would like to see a player that can either take the DirectShow filter or VST plugin "Convolver" (in order to be able to run room correction and digital crossovers), or that could actually had a convolver itself and could take the files from Audiolense and Acourate FIR filter generation products.

2. Control over both audio and video delay. (or maybe positive and negative control over just audio) This would account for audio and video delays due to extra processing.

Both of these are problematic with the Current PowerDVD/WinDVD

Why do you need to use an anamorphic "device" (lens?) for 2.35:1 movies? As far as I know, no movies are anamorphic 2.35:1 for home video. Or did you mean just mask the projected image?
"Constant Image Height" setups with a 2.35:1 screen. Subtitles are a problem with such a setup.

By the way, it would have been amazing if in the bluray specs there were actual anamorphic 2.35:1 movies just like there are 16:9 for DVDs...
Indeed... :(

2 requests:

2. Control over both audio and video delay. (or maybe positive and negative control over just audio) This would account for audio and video delays due to extra processing.
Certainly. :agree:

If SlyPlayer will NOT use DirectShow as has been suggested, will there be any way to use the Codecs, such as the audio Codec, inside programs like SageTV, so that they can be used with all sources including Live TV, recorded TV, DVDs, etc and retain the multi-client operation of SageTV?

Audionut

No, it won't.

"Constant Image Height" setups with a 2.35:1 screen. Subtitles are a problem with such a setup.
Yeah, but I'm having a hard time figuring where the actual 2.35:1 anamorphic device is. In these setups, wouldn't it just be a zoom (for constant image height) or a crop?

Yeah, but I'm having a hard time figuring where the actual 2.35:1 anamorphic device is. In these setups, wouldn't it just be a zoom (for constant image height) or a crop?
With an HD image (BD or HD DVD), you can either simply zoom with the projector, to get rid of the black bars (that is actually the technique used in theaters, with Digital Cinema).
In that case, you do not need any anamorphic device, but you use less pixels to define the image.

Or you can process the image, in order to use all the pixels available on the PJ matrix (that is a vertical strech).
That way, you create an HD anamorphic image (like on DVD), that you need to horizontally strech, with an anamorphic device.

Purists will argue that, with the second option, the original image is degraded, because of the 2 processes : digital vertical strech, then optical horizontal strech.

They are quite right, but the problem is that very few PJs are able to sufficiently zoom, to fill a 2.35:1 screen, without having to be moved closer to the screen.

And using all pixels gives more light on the screen, compared to the "zooming" solution (not a problem with professionnal PJs, but in a HT, we are not in the same league!!!).

James already mentioned that option. :)
Back to this option (to move subtitles), will it be available for DVD as well? :confused:

It is indeed very easy to manage subtitles with HD formats (they use a separate video feed), but with DVD, their location is pre-defined in the authoring...

With an HD image (BD or HD DVD), you can either simply zoom with the projector, to get rid of the black bars (that is actually the technique used in theaters, with Digital Cinema).
In that case, you do not need any anamorphic device, but you use less pixels to define the image.
And "zooming & cropping" will reduce the light output. Whatever method you use, subtitles remain to be a problem.

I hope so, but I'm not sure.

Does this mean only "embedded" (on DVD or blu-ray media) subtitles will be supported, but no external files?

Loading external subtitles would be a great feature... :agree: I live in eastern Europe (obviously a non-english speaking country), but get most of my disks from amazon.com, so I must supply subtitles when watching a movie with a family. While there are ways to provide external subtitles even now, having that feature natively in player application would make it more robust and less difficult to synchronize with video.

Back to this option (to move subtitles), will it be available for DVD as well? :confused:

It is indeed very easy to manage subtitles with HD formats (they use a separate video feed), but with DVD, their location is pre-defined in the authoring...

Yes, for DVD as well.

Subtitles as a separate video feed on HD formats? Can't follow you. Subtitles are not encoded as a video stream on neither Blu-ray nor HD-DVD. However told you that told you wrong.

Slyplayer 5.1 / DTS audio over S/PDIF

Hi,
The prospects of a player like this and from the brilliant Slysoft sound fantastic, however, i've become confused ready through these threads.

I'm currently using P/DVD 8 for my Bluray disks. My mobo has a S/PDIF output I use to my 6 year old Sony decoder which can do DD 5.1 and DTS.
I set P/DVD audio properties to S/PDIF and DTS downmix which works fine for me, (particularly on disks that only have a true HD audio track).
I read hear about Slyplayer being able to send un-adultered audio to a reciever, which is a step forwards and good for those with HDMI set-ups and true HD recievers etc but what about those with still with standard 5.1 receivers that can't afford to upgrade yet, (and that would also include my PC hardware).
Will I be able to set the player audio properties to suit a set-up like mine
ie S/PDIF output and DD5.1 / DTS downmix from a True HD audio track?

Beyond what has already been said, is there any further information on when customers may have the opportunity to buy Sly Player?

(Are you testing a beta version right now? If so, how's it working?)

Thanks.

Slysoft hasn't released any information on a release date. (Well, other than James' infamous 'February' time frame. LOL) All we know is that this is a product Slysoft has decided to make. No other information is available. They are also working on a CloneBD type of program, as well, which also has no time frame for release.

Or you can process the image, in order to use all the pixels available on the PJ matrix (that is a vertical strech).
That way, you create an HD anamorphic image (like on DVD), that you need to horizontally strech, with an anamorphic device.
I see what you say, thanks.

I'm currently using P/DVD 8 for my Bluray disks. My mobo has a S/PDIF output I use to my 6 year old Sony decoder which can do DD 5.1 and DTS.
I set P/DVD audio properties to S/PDIF and DTS downmix which works fine for me, (particularly on disks that only have a true HD audio track).
I read hear about Slyplayer being able to send un-adultered audio to a reciever, which is a step forwards and good for those with HDMI set-ups and true HD recievers etc but what about those with still with standard 5.1 receivers that can't afford to upgrade yet, (and that would also include my PC hardware).
Will I be able to set the player audio properties to suit a set-up like mine
ie S/PDIF output and DD5.1 / DTS downmix from a True HD audio track?
Most likely it would include an AC3 encoder (I'm going by ReClock's options), which would work the same as DTS downmixing does in PowerDVD. A few questions though. Does your receiver have HDMI audio? Which soundcard/mobo do you have?

By the way, with almost all discs, you are able to extract a "core" DTS or DD soundtrack, so you shouldn't have to do DTS downmixing in PowerDVD, which has been known to have trouble (I used to have a high-pitched whine back in the day). Just disable DTS downmixing and it should automatically pass through that "core".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back