• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

WASAPI Support

Just curious....

Mark_A_W said:
With my hardware I am 90% certain the Analogue 5.1 inputs are not re-digitised. My Pre/Pro cannot do anything to the 5.1 inputs other than volume control - no bass management, no delays, nothing.

The only way to be 100% certain is to build a 7.1 volume control - I'm currently looking for a kit. There used to be a 5.1 kit available locally, but no more.

First of all why go through all that trouble to 'build' a 7.1 surround volume controller from a kit when your sound card on has the limited capabilities of only 5.1 surround? Would it be more logical to have a 7.1 surround sound card to start with?

There is still 10% space ha? :disagree:

Afaik all the Pre/Pros have DSP units which means even you set it to "direct" mode, analog signals converted from digital by your sound card's DAC have to enter DSP. ADC+DAC. ADC converts them to digital first and later DAC again converts them back to analog and sent to pre-amp.
If you send bitperfect digital signals over HDMI to your receiver, this time the signal directly (without dropping to DSP) goes to the decoder and later preamp.

_ _ _ _

Second, it seems to me that having your CPU waste processing power and speed on converting your audio from digital > analog then to your external audio receiver? Some sound cards like mine (Creative Labs' X-Fi Fata1ity Platinum with 64MB A-Ram on-board) has the 7.1 surround sound and all I need is a cable from them to utilize the digital output by way of the SPDIF port.

I dunno....maybe I am missing something. :confused:

Last edited:
Trust me, it does. It "just adjusts the audio clock" .... but how?
Drumroll ... using the resampler! But as your ears have witnessed, it does a very good job.

Thanks; yes my ears have to be satisfied until i get a 24p TV. :)

First of all why go through all that trouble to 'build' a 7.1 surround volume controller from a kit when your sound card on has the limited capabilities of only 5.1 surround? Would it be more logical to have a 7.1 surround sound card to start with?

Second, it seems to me that having your CPU waste processing power and speed on converting your audio from digital > analog then to your external audio receiver? Some sound cards like mine (Creative Labs' X-Fi Fata1ity Platinum with 64MB A-Ram on-board) has the 7.1 surround sound and all I need is a cable from them to utilize the digital output by way of the SPDIF port.

Yes, i suppose you confused the posts; it is not me who is looking for a 7.1 kit. :)

Well, a 7.1 soundcard is only $200. That's no huge issue.

And I don't have a crappy receiver, I have a once-flagship Rotel Pre Pro. I would like to replace it with a 7.1 volume control preamp. Volume control is all the Rotel does now.

But I could run my poweramps direct from the soundcard. A preamp/volume control is just insurance.

I cannot afford a receiver of the quality I would want. And I like to build things anyway ;)

And you are missing the fact that SPDIF sucks. We now have 7.1 channel, 24bit, 96khz audio going mainstream. The only way to handle that is HDMI or Analogue. For me, HDMI is unnecessary (I have an analogue projector too).

Hey guys, can i say this is bitperfect anymore?

Attachments

• james_03.jpg
    james_03.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
It is. ReClock even says this under renderer infos.

Do you mean EVR shows 23.976 and Reclock Audio renderer pininfo shows 24/96?
EDIT: believe me my ears can not differ 10 Hz of 96000.

BTW i returned back to TMT .121 and removed CheckUpdate.dll and checkupdate.set and i'm very happy with ReClock+121.
No need to MPC-HC anymore.

Last edited:
Well, a 7.1 soundcard is only $200. That's no huge issue.

And I don't have a crappy receiver, I have a once-flagship Rotel Pre Pro. I would like to replace it with a 7.1 volume control preamp. Volume control is all the Rotel does now.

But I could run my poweramps direct from the soundcard. A preamp/volume control is just insurance.

I cannot afford a receiver of the quality I would want. And I like to build things anyway ;)

And you are missing the fact that SPDIF sucks. We now have 7.1 channel, 24bit, 96khz audio going mainstream. The only way to handle that is HDMI or Analogue. For me, HDMI is unnecessary (I have an analogue projector too).

I see what you mean...Having the ability to adjust your volume control before it goes into your amplifiers saves you from possibly blowing and ''popping'' your speakers from the other end. :agree:

BTW...I like building my own stuff also...a little more exnsive, sometimes, mind you, but at least you can get what you want when you want it... :D

A three-eyed monster? :cool:

Yep.

If you want one, let me know. I know people who know people on all continents - it's a fairly small community.

Not for everyone though, it's like having a boat mounted to the ceiling :rock:

EDIT: believe me my ears can not differ 10 Hz of 96000.
I never said you would hear any difference, I only said that it was not bit exact.;)
I prefer the no resampling aproach not because I can hear any difference with my current gear, but because I need the cpu power that I free by not resampling...:)

I never said you would hear any difference, I only said that it was not bit exact.;)
I prefer the no resampling aproach not because I can hear any difference with my current gear, but because I need the cpu power that I free by not resampling...:)

Lets say "it is 99% bit exact" :agree:

I use wasapi (foobar2000) exclusively for my cds. It switches my receiver from 5.1ch 48Khz to 2.0ch 44.1Khz disabling the vista mixer and any other sounds. Works fine with dts wav files, flac, etc. couldn't live without it. Exclusive mode is the only way to get bit perfect playback on vista.
I begged and begged for certain bd applications to use the exclusive mode but the answer was NO so when James said yes I thought to myself :rock: on

Sorry, but I'm scratching my head about this one. How do you make Foobar2000 to switch 5.1 to stereo automatically? Mine with the wasapi plugin doesn't do it.

I am curious about that, too!

But, I am more curious on how, or if, you can get WASAPI to work with Windows XP SP3.

Can you???

andy o said:
Sorry, but I'm scratching my head about this one. How do you make Foobar2000 to switch 5.1 to stereo automatically? Mine with the wasapi plugin doesn't do it.

I am curious about that, too!

But, I am more curious on how, or if, you can get WASAPI to work with Windows XP SP3.

Can you???

I thought wasapi was a vista thing. Don't know much about it though, probably wrong.

Back