• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

WASAPI Support

Nvidia HDMI audio driver does not support 24- bit audio in WASAPI mode

I (Vista 32, Nvidia 9400, Nvidia HDMI audio driver) can not get 96/24, 48/24 sound using WASAPI mode. Reclock says "Hard/driver does not support".
And if I send 96/16, 48/16 everything is OK.
The question is: does Nvidia HDMI audio driver truncates everything to 16 bit in non exclusive Vista mode (not using WASAPI)?
Can anybody get 96/24, 48/24 sound using Nvidia HDMI audio driver in WASAPI or Vista mixer mode (non exclusive Vista mode )?

I (Vista 32, Nvidia 9400, Nvidia HDMI audio driver) can not get 96/24, 48/24 sound using WASAPI mode. Reclock says "Hard/driver does not support".
The question is: does Nvidia HDMI audio driver truncates everything to 16 bit in non exclusive Vista mode (not using WASAPI)?
Can anybody get 96/24, 48/24 sound using Nvidia HDMI audio driver in WASAPI or Vista mixer mode (non exclusive Vista mode )?

Try setting Reclock to only output 32 bit.

My only other suggestion is keep trying.

I found that sometimes the formats aren't accepted, particularly if you change settings without restarting the player. This happens with Foobar a lot.

And can anybody get 24-bit 7(5).1 LPCM sound via HDMI using ATI cards?

May be something is wrong with the way Reclock interacts with Nvidia HDMI driver?
James
Should I play with buffer size or latency for PCM ?

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Bypassing_Windows_Mixer

Cons

* Forfeits advantages of modern Windows audio pipeline: audio stream formats that aren't natively supported by your audio hardware will fail to play. You're likely to get errors with:
o Mono streams.
o Multichannel (more than two channels) streams on a soundcard with stereo output only.
o Uncommon channel configurations.
o Uncommon sample rates.

To workaround these issues, you'll have to use additional DSPs such as resampler or "convert mono to stereo" in foobar2000.

* Interacting with soundcard drivers directly rather than letting Windows Mixer do it will often expose soundcard driver bugs that can't be triggered otherwise and lead to system-wide instability. There have been countless documented cases of otherwise stable soundcard drivers causing BSODs when using KS, ASIO or WASAPI. This happens because:
o KS and WASAPI: while these output methods rely on the same driver code as playing sounds through Windows Mixer, various quirks such as buffer sizes are different; drivers tend to make unsafe assumptions that whoever is invoking them behaves exactly as Windows Mixer does; these drivers would also stop working correctly after OS updates that change these behaviors.
o ASIO: many major hardware vendors release massively buggy ASIO drivers and suspend any work on their drivers as soon as they get some subset of ASIO software working with their product without obvious problem symptoms.

Last edited:
renethx's summary
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16007740&postcount=1182
Here is a summary of audio formats supported by hardware/driver:

Radeon HD 4xxx HDMI

- ReClock+WASAPI exclusive mode: 16 bit LPCM, 32 bit LPCM
- foobar2000+WASAPI exclusive mode: 16 bit LPCM, 24 bit LPCM (only with Buffer Length < 900 ms)

GeForce 9400 HDMI

- ReClock+WASAPI exclusive mode: 16 bit LPCM
- foobar2000+WASAPI exclusive mode: None

James (or anyone who happens to know)

I got an ATI 4550, with drivers 2.18 (also tried 2.13). Is WASAPI exclusive mode supposed to change number of channels automatically, regardless of "set matching speaker config for PCM sound" being checked or not?

James (or anyone who happens to know)

I got an ATI 4550, with drivers 2.18 (also tried 2.13). Is WASAPI exclusive mode supposed to change number of channels automatically, regardless of "set matching speaker config for PCM sound" being checked or not?

Yes. But I keep it checked anyway.

Yes. But I keep it checked anyway.

argh. That's what I was fearing. I'm screwed then. I can't figure out what's going on with my WASAPI exclusive setup. I've been dealing with it with jmone at the jriver forums (trying MC13 now), but it seems my setup is somehow screwed. Don't need to read that whole thread, basically, I get all the other effects of WASAPI exclusive, but no auto channel switch. Sample rate passthrough, everything works as it should except for number of channels. I've asked them for their registry key for their ATI drivers.

I got k-lite codec pack, but programs like foobar2000, MC13 and XMPlay which don't use directshow don't do it either with their WASAPI exclusive modes, so I don't think it's interfering. Further, Reclock outputs through WASAPI last, after all that decoding mumbo jumbo is done, right?

Any ideas? I'm thinking some obscure Vista setting, or a registry change.

renethx's new summary for new Nvidia HDMI driver v1.00.0.41

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=16024807&postcount=1243

Update on WASAPI excluded mode
Radeon HD 4xxx HDMI/R2.18

- ReClock+WASAPI exclusive mode: 16/32bit+44.1/48/96kHz PCM
- foobar2000+WASAPI exclusive mode: 16/24bit+44.1/48/96kHz PCM (24bit only with Buffer Length < 900 ms)

DTS on wave is supported only when stereo speakers is selected.

GeForce 9400 HDMI/v1.00.0.41

- ReClock+WASAPI exclusive mode: 16bit+48/96kHz PCM
- foobar2000+WASAPI exclusive mode: 16/24bit+48/96kHz PCM (24bit only with Buffer Length < 900 ms)

44.1kHz is not supported.

BTW I haven't tested 192kHz.

James
Could you tell why foobar2000 does support 24bit and ReClock does not?

Last edited:

Update on WASAPI excluded mode

- ReClock+WASAPI exclusive mode: 16bit+48/96kHz PCM
- foobar2000+WASAPI exclusive mode: 16/24bit+48/96kHz PCM

No support for 44.1kHz

James
Could you tell why foobar2000 does support 24bit and ReClock does not?
No idea. Maybe they are "cheating"? Try 32bit PCM in ReClock config.

Update on WASAPI excluded mode by renethx

Radeon HD 4xxx HDMI/R2.18

- ReClock+WASAPI exclusive mode: Up to 7.1 channel, 16/32 bit, 44.1/48/96 kHz PCM
- foobar2000+WASAPI exclusive mode: Up to 7.1 channel, 16/24 bit, 44.1/48/96 kHz PCM (24 bit is supported only with Buffer Length < 900 ms)

DTS on wave is supported only when stereo speakers is selected (in both ReClock and foobar2000; check the thread ATI 45xx, Bit perfect, and Vista).

- ReClock+WASAPI exclusive mode: Up to 7.1 channel, 16 bit, 48/96 kHz PCM (32 bit is not support unlike HD 4xxx)
- foobar2000+WASAPI exclusive mode: Up to 7.1 channel, 16/24 bit, 48/96 kHz PCM (24 bit is supported only with Buffer Length < 900 ms)

44.1kHz is not supported.

JAMES
Should we play with Buffer Length in Reclock config to get 24bit output for Nvidia HDMI audio (like foobar`trick)?

JAMES
Should we play with Buffer Length in Reclock config to get 24bit output for Nvidia HDMI audio (like foobar`trick)?

No, the size of the Wasapi buffer is now independent of ReClock's pre-buffer.
You can change it via the registry (DWORD WasapiBufferSize in ms), but I believe this won't help. Default is 50ms, you can try a bigger value. Check the logfile, if the buffer size really changed.

Back