• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Yo Slysoft Guys...read THIS

I have yet to watch either format on anything but from reading here and the net HD-DVD does sound allot by far more impressive to me.

Because they share the same codecs, visually there's no difference between modern Blu-Ray and HD DVD movies. (Studios that release movies on both formats, such as the recently released 300, share the EXACT same transfer) So, the differentiation has to be in extra features each brings to the table. HD DVD provides HDi for interactive features. On 300 they gave some impressive features so I hear. Blu-Ray has BD-J, but, from what I understand, the first attempts at doing this only worked on the PS3. That seems....ungood. :) Blu-Ray offers more space than HD DVD, but, with VC1 and AVC codecs, that space isn't overly necessary at the moment. HD DVD is a COMPLETE standard, meaning that every player supports the entire HD DVD standard from the beginning. The same is NOT true of Blu-Ray. So, yes, HD DVD is the better format for many many reasons.

Because they share the same codecs, visually there's no difference between modern Blu-Ray and HD DVD movies. (Studios that release movies on both formats, such as the recently released 300, share the EXACT same transfer) So, the differentiation has to be in extra features each brings to the table. HD DVD provides HDi for interactive features. On 300 they gave some impressive features so I hear. Blu-Ray has BD-J, but, from what I understand, the first attempts at doing this only worked on the PS3. That seems....ungood. :) Blu-Ray offers more space than HD DVD, but, with VC1 and AVC codecs, that space isn't overly necessary at the moment. HD DVD is a COMPLETE standard, meaning that every player supports the entire HD DVD standard from the beginning. The same is NOT true of Blu-Ray. So, yes, HD DVD is the better format for many many reasons.
You forgot some very important differences, making Blu-ray consumer unfriendly:

Blu-ray is region coded, HD DVD is not. You can buy a Studio Canal HD DVD Terminator 2 disc and run this "Blu-ray exclusive" title on your US HD DVD player. Same is true for other titles, like "The Prestige" released by Warner in the UK on HD DVD, but "Blu-ray exclusive" in the US.

Pressed Blu-ray discs are required to be AACS encrypted, HD DVD discs are not. This may be a weak argument (why should I care, as long as the disc plays?), but it is *not*. If a publisher *wants* to allow you to stream a HD movie in your home network, he *cannot* allow it, if he publishes on Blu-ray (unless you have AnyDVD HD, of course....)
If a publisher *wants* to avoid AACS licensing costs (small independent studio?) he cannot.

Blu-ray is adding more protection layers like BD+ and nobody knows how this will impact the customer later on - HD DVD does not.

SlySoft may follow Paramount and drop Blu-ray support
(Just kidding :D )

Yes I will most likely be going HD-DVD this Shopping holiday as there is words of a 200.00 USD HD-DVD Player.

You forgot some very important differences, making Blu-ray consumer unfriendly:

Blu-ray is region coded, HD DVD is not. You can buy a Studio Canal HD DVD Terminator 2 disc and run this "Blu-ray exclusive" title on your US HD DVD player. Same is true for other titles, like "The Prestige" released by Warner in the UK on HD DVD, but "Blu-ray exclusive" in the US.

Pressed Blu-ray discs are required to be AACS encrypted, HD DVD discs are not. This may be a weak argument (why should I care, as long as the disc plays?), but it is *not*. If a publisher *wants* to allow you to stream a HD movie in your home network, he *cannot* allow it, if he publishes on Blu-ray (unless you have AnyDVD HD, of course....)
If a publisher *wants* to avoid AACS licensing costs (small independent studio?) he cannot.

Blu-ray is adding more protection layers like BD+ and nobody knows how this will impact the customer later on - HD DVD does not.

SlySoft may follow Paramount and drop Blu-ray support
(Just kidding :D )

All quite true. And as you say, Amazon is your friend for HD DVD releases not in your home country. :)

Yes I will most likely be going HD-DVD this Shopping holiday as there is words of a 200.00 USD HD-DVD Player.

Keep an eye on Walmart. You can bet on a Black Friday sale on HD DVD players.

Wise move. :D
And to all others: Let Disney, Sony & Fox Blu-ray discs collect dust on the shelves. Just don't buy them. It isn't hard. If the "Cars" disc happens to be in front of you, just look away. Buy something else. It is not that hard. It can even be fun. Really.

And to all others: Let Disney, Sony & Fox Blu-ray discs collect dust on the shelves. Just don't buy them. It isn't hard. If the "Cars" disc happens to be in front of you, just look away. Buy something else. It is not that hard. It can even be fun. Really.

Tell that to my 7 year old son. :) I get the point, but, for me it's going to be more difficult. The best I can personally do is buy every dual release title on HD DVD. But Disney....not gonna be easy.

Sad part though is my favorite T.V. show is "Prison Break" and it is a fox exclusive. :(

Tell that to my 7 year old son. :) I get the point, but, for me it's going to be more difficult. The best I can personally do is buy every dual release title on HD DVD. But Disney....not gonna be easy.
I know what you're talking about, but if I am not mistaken, 7 year old don't give a damn if the movie is HD or not, so the regular DVD version should do it for most Disney flicks. :D

I know what you're talking about, but if I am not mistaken, 7 year old don't give a damn if the movie is HD or not, so the regular DVD version should do it for most Disney flicks. :D

You don't know *MY* 7 year old. ;) He knows the difference. He can even explain it to people. He's, um, remarkable. :) Of course, at that age, I was starting to program in basic, so, I don't know where he gets it from. COUGH COUGH. :D

Good, yes. Upscaled, even more so. But compared to HD...not a chance. :)
Right you are. But to be honest, the bigger the screen & the shorter the viewing distance, the greater the effect.
If you secretly replace the TV with a HD device in the average living room, not changing screen size and viewing distance, most people won't notice.

Right you are. But to be honest, the bigger the screen & the shorter the viewing distance, the greater the effect.
If you secretly replace the TV with a HD device in the average living room, not changing screen size and viewing distance, most people won't notice.

Ok, I'll grant you that. However, on my TV with where I sit in my living room, there's just no comparison. In fact, the cable box HD is noticeably FAR worse than HD DVD or Blu-Ray because of the crappy compression they use. (They use "high" bitrate MPEG2 whereas they SHOULD use VC1 or AVC to cut down on bandwidth and increase quality). This is why I invested in a very good TV. But, the average consumer, yea, you're right, they wouldn't notice. Upscaled DVDs are probably fine for most people.

All quite true. And as you say, Amazon is your friend for HD DVD releases not in your home country. :)
If you happen to shop at Amazon UK... look out for "Spaced - the complete series" on Region 2 PAL DVD.
Very weird funny stuff... and you can witness, how Simon Pegg & Co. of "Hot Fuzz" and "Shaun of the Dead" fame started their career.

If you happen to shop at Amazon UK... look out for "Spaced - the complete series" on Region 2 PAL DVD.
Very weird funny stuff... and you can witness, how Simon Pegg & Co. of "Hot Fuzz" and "Shaun of the Dead" fame started their career.

Sorry, there seems to be a re-release, it is now called "Spaced - Definitive Collectors' Edition"

Back