• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

XP Retirement Extended

oldjoe

Windows XP sales (from MS) will be extended to May, 2009....largely due to the lack of enthusiasm and the required resources for Vista.
That date will closely coincide with the predicted launch of Windows 7.

I got a barebone hi performance from almost useless DELL computers the last week they had Windows XP pro in their XPS machines.

Got it mildly souped up now, and put a Blu-ray optical drive in. So far so good.

Rumor:
Microsoft will be coming out in 2010 with a non-resource hog operating system, back to basics and is supposed to be one that will be user friendly and compatable with software programs.

:agree:

Thanks for the news Oldjoe. It seems like a lot of folks are not upgrading to the Vista line. I have the Premium but have temporarily switched back to WinXP Home. However with the onslaught of new and improved methods of pc hacking Vista is beginning to be more attractive to me.

It is surprising, fast eddie, that Microsoft will be coming out with a new OS so soon (2010). I thought they would be busy improving their Vista line. Unlike some others I don't its all bad. I can remember when XP appeared. Wow, the headaches it caused and now people just love it (me included!).

Merry Christmas:)

Apparently Vista was a "filler" OS until Windows 7 was ready. Remember ME & 200 before XP?

fast eddie: The major retailers (Dell-HP etc.) are the ones demanding MS to continue offering XP. They can't build "budget" PC's with the hardware that Vista demands to operate.
Roundtree: Vista is no better at deterring hacking than any other OS. No OS is going to stop/deter PC hacking. 3rd party softwares are the best protection.

Apparently Vista was a "filler" OS until Windows 7 was ready. Remember ME & 200 before XP?

fast eddie: The major retailers (Dell-HP etc.) are the ones demanding MS to continue offering XP. They can't build "budget" PC's with the hardware that Vista demands to operate.
Roundtree: Vista is no better at deterring hacking than any other OS. No OS is going to stop/deter PC hacking. 3rd party softwares are the best protection.

It wasn't intended to be a filler. I've seen comments from the new CEO how Windows 7 is going to be what Vista was supposed to be. I know they are targeting the home PC market a lot more with 7 now because of all the negative Vista ads out there.

7 Beta is supposed to be out in the spring from what I hear. I didn't like Vista until I bought a PC that could actually use it.

I would say Vista was in part a filler and a test for Windows 7. Personally I like Vista as long as the hardware is up to the task. It also brought 64bit into mainstream much more than XP 64bit ever could.

Let me just add in my 2 cents in favor of Vista. On my home office computer, i dual boot both Vista and XP and my video playback software works better (faster load, more stable) on Vista than on XP.

Also, maybe it's just me, but Vista seems more responsive than XP does. Also, important functions have a more "built in" and stable feel to them (Windows update, Network Setup, etc).

Lastly, I love the new Media Center interface tons more than the old Media Center. It's quicker and more stable.

It's a shame that so many people have jumped on the "I hate Vista" bandwagon. I remember when XP was the new kid on the block and the growing pains were MUCH greater with XP. The service packs also did not come out at as fast a clip as they are with Vista and for the most part Vista was stable out of the box (outside of driver compatibiliy issues with some hardware).

I really think that Vista is a more sound operating system. Windows 7 will probably outshine Vista, but in no way would i consider Vista the ME edition of XP. I remember Windows ME and i wouldn't give that OS to my worst enemy. Vista is definitely not ME.

Back