x64 Windows XP support

Discussion in 'GameJackal' started by SnowmanDK, Jun 7, 2007.

1. SnowmanDK

SnowmanDK Member

I hope I did understand this the right way.
    A version that supports x64 OS'es is in development, right?
    I really hope so, as I already upgraded my old license.

2. ivanX

ivanX Translator (ru)

I have absolutely no doubt that work on the 64-bit version (both XP and Vista) is underway. More and more systems take advantage of such developments in technology so I am sure that Slysoft will not treat that area of the market with neglect :disagree:

3. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

From what I am told, the answer is yes, but you will need to be patient.

4. Targon

Targon Well-Known Member

A big part of the problem with 64 bit is the drivers need to be completely re-written. In addition to this, for Vista 64 bit, you need to have the software certified and "signed" by Microsoft in order for it to work. You know all those drivers that work under XP(32 bit), but you need to give specific permission before installing? That won't work under 64 bit Vista, so it has to be fully checked by Microsoft before it will work.

5. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

That's no problem. I've already done that for AnyDVD, so I already have some experience how to do this. :D

6. evlncrn8

evlncrn8 Well-Known Member

drivers dont require a total re-write for vista / 64 bit, they are just required to play by the rules microsoft set - no interrupt hooking, drivers must be signed etc etc, there is not that much fundamentally different with 64 bit driver coding than the 32 bit code...

7. Raukowath

Raukowath New Member

I've been checking every couple weeks to see if the new version by slysoft is out so I can upgrade.. but let me get this straight.

My gaming machine is running x64 pro, and the pre-slysoft version does work under it.. but the Slysoft version does not? I'm going to upgrade eventually, but I might hold off if that is the case.

8. James

No, it doesn't. It installs, it looks like it is working, but it does nothing.

9. Raukowath

Raukowath New Member

Hm.. So it doesn't. Bizarrely enough, apparently all the games I've been playing since I got this were ones that never worked under GJ (Blizzard games) or didn't need the CD.

I didn't realize the Far Cry 64 Bit edition didn't do a CD check, and other games I've been launching don't. Heh.. Wow. Now I feel like an ass. ;)

10. James

Don't. It took Peer several days until he realised that GJ isn't working on 64-bit OS at all.... Har, har.... :D