• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Writing to ISO *sometimes* goes VERY slow

SkyLiner

Hi there, I write my BDs to ISO using the following method:

*) First of all, I'm using the Trial version of CloneBD
1) Run AnyDVDHD (in the background)
2) Run CloneBD and select certain Titles (not a full copy)
3) Create an ISO
4) I use one of my 2 internal HDs for the temporary folder to hold the files and I write the ISO to an external USB HD connected to a front USB3 port on my desktop

The first stage of ripping (creating the files to the temporary folder) always goes pretty fast, maybe 15-30 minutes on average. The 2nd stage...where it writes the ISO file sometimes takes 15-25 minutes, but SOMETIMES it takes hours. When I find that it's taking hours (where it gives an estimate of 4-15 hours), I abort the process, eject the USB HD, unplug it, plug it back in again and try again. Sometimes this solves the issue and will finish a copy in 20-30 minutes, but sometimes it doesn't. I thought maybe there was an issue with my external HD (where maybe it wasn't being recognized as USB3 and was connecting as USB2 instead), so I tried another external HD and I have the exact same issue. Today I tried making a backup of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly 5 different times, but each time (and using 2 different external HDs) it's taking me 12 hours to do the ISO creation part of the process.

I wonder if any of this rings a bell to anyone, or if there might be a solution to this problem of taking so long to create the ISO.

Thank you

I just tried doing the same process as outlined above, but instead of writing the ISO to an external USB drive, I wrote it to one of my internal HDs. Same result...22+ hours of reported time to create the ISO.

I'm a user not some kind of staff but I'm wondering what your computer specifications are?
It would also help to know what kind of primary hard drive you have in your computer, model number, brand and type.
Is it either 2.5" or 3.5" form factor? aka a laptop vs a desktop drive.

Thanks for your answer. My system specs are as follows:
CPU: Quad Core Q9550 2.83GHz
RAM: 8GB
HD1: ST3750640NS (750GB partitioned 3 ways; C (Windows 8), D (Windows 10) and E (Data)
HD2: Samsung SP1614C

I've been ripping BDs like this for some months now...and 1 out of every 5 backups I do I'll get the very long ISO writing issue. So, I stop abort the operation, unplug the USB drive and start again until it completes in about 20 minutes. These past few days it's been only doing the very slow method...even when writing the ISO to the free HD in the computer. I thought it might have been an issue with The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, but it's doing the same thing with a different movie now. This is what the graphic in CloneBD looks like: https://www.screencast.com/t/6AIOLFm3URFq

After a few more tests I noticed a certain pattern:

The first stage of the rip (processing clip(s)) goes fine and rather quickly. The 2nd stage (creating the ISO) goes fine for the first 5 minutes. It starts out at a Burn Rate of about 27000 kilobytes per second. After about 5 minutes, it slows down to 16-24 kbps...which seems to take about 24 hours to complete.

Which one of those drives are you outputting to? That 4th bar from the top is supposed to be empty. If it's full it's the encoder that's filling up because target destination is supposedly too slow to write as fast as the encoder wants it too.

What's your source drive/partition and target drive/partition?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

I've tried outputting to all of the drives mentioned above. For months now I've been outputting to external USB3 drives...no problem.

I just tried making an ISO using only AnyDVDHD and it did the whole process in 20 minutes. So the issue is definitely with CloneBD, not the HD.

I've tried outputting to all of the drives mentioned above. For months now I've been outputting to external USB3 drives...no problem.

I just tried making an ISO using only AnyDVDHD and it did the whole process in 20 minutes. So the issue is definitely with CloneBD, not the HD.
A CloneBD log file of such a slow encode would really add a lot of information.
You can process the disc that way and wait for the slow-down, then abort and create and post a log file.

Oh, didn't know I could get a log file if I aborted. OK, I'll do that now. It starts the slow-down only 5 minutes into the ISO creation part, so I should have a log file in about 20 minutes.

Thanks....

OK, here's the CloneBD log file for the movie, 2012 which I just created. the first 5 minutes of ISO creation, the burn rate was at 27000, then it slowed down to about 16. I then aborted the process and created the log.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2012.cbdlog
    507 KB · Views: 2
You still haven't said which partitions you're using. The reason could be if the source and target 'drive'(aka partition) are on the same physical drive, the HDD needle has to constantly swap sectors and between reading and writing. That is a major factor.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Right, I understand that if the source and target drives (albeit on different partitions) are on the same physical drive, it slows down the process. I've made sure never to do that. When I first started using CloneBD, I WAS using the same physical drive to read (create the "Default temp directory") that I have Windows on. Once I changed the "Default temp directory" to a different physical drive, the FPS during the read process went much faster.

I've never done both the read (Default temp directory) and the write (Default output directory) on the same physical drive. I've always used an external USB3 drive as the "output" drive (though sometimes I've disconnected the external drive and reconnected it again to make sure it was being seen as a USB3 device as the write would sometimes go slow...but never 25 hours slow).

Not sure if the log file I shared earlier revealed anything, but I wanted to give a little update to this phenomenon I've been experiencing with CloneBD's Burn Rate slowing down to 20'ish kilobytes per second after 5 minutes into the ISO creation:

I thought I'd try and create a full 1:1 ISO file using only AnyDVDHD. The conversion went fine and only took about 20-25 minutes to do the read and the write of the ISO file. I then took the full 1:1 ISO copy and using CloneBD did my regular selection of Titles (only choosing the desired Titles...which saves about 10GB per BD in my case) to see if it would write a new ISO in regular time (Burn rate of about 27000). It worked fine and CloneBD kept the 27000 Burn Rate the whole way through. So, I then tried directly with a BD in CloneBD...and now it is back to working normally and keeping the 27000 kbps Burn Rate the whole way through. I tried a few BDs in a row and all of them went through just fine. So, I suppose whatever was wrong with CloneBD slowing down the ISO creation process after 5 minutes was fixed when running AnyDVD to create an ISO.

Kind Regards

Direct 1 to 1 from encrypted disc with CloneBD (AnyDVDHD in background) will take longer as disc must be decrypted before CloneBD can do anything, making a decrypted ISO then running through CloneBD is faster.

Direct 1 to 1 from encrypted disc with CloneBD (AnyDVDHD in background) will take longer as disc must be decrypted before CloneBD can do anything, making a decrypted ISO then running through CloneBD is faster.

Decryption does not cost any measurable amount of time.

Back