• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Writing to ISO Failure: Code Geass Volume 2

Dravir

I'm trying to copy a DVD to my hard drive as an ISO file but I'm having tons of problems and it is a brand new disc. I even returned it to the store for a new one just in case I got a bad copy and the new one is having problems as well. Details below:

When trying to rip an ISO image using DVD Decrypter, right off the bat I get an error saying:

"On-the-fly IFO/BUP file patching failed!"
File Name: VTS_04_0.BUP
Size: 14,336 bytes
Reason: Invalid IFO/BUP file.

So I immediately went into ImgBurn. After getting to 69% it began to go into "CIRC Unrecovered Error":

I/O Error!
Device: [5:0:0] LITE-ON DVD SHD-16S1S ES03 (D:) (Fibre)
ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition
CDB: 28 00 00 24 C1 B5 00 00 01 00
Interpretation: Read (10) - Sector: 2408885
Sense Area: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 11 06 00 00 00 00 00 00
Interpretation: CIRC Unrecovered Error

Check Attached JPEG files for the error screenshots.

Movie Name: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Volume 2, Region 1, USA, Released on August 5, 2008

ImgBurn Version: 2.4.2.0
DVDDecrypter Version: 3.5.4.0

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_D_CODE_GEASS_VOL2.zip
    81.8 KB · Views: 12
  • error1DVDDecrypter.jpg
    error1DVDDecrypter.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 5
  • error2ImgBurn.jpg
    error2ImgBurn.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 4
I'm not quite sure how you are trying to rip this disc. You mention issues with ImgBurn and DVD Decrypter. The latter program shouldn't be used with AnyDVD. What happens if you use the built-in AnyDVD ripper by right-clicking on the fox in your systray and selecting Rip Video DVD to Harddisk...? If there is an error what is the exact error. Do not use the Rip to Image option. Right now we're trying to troubleshoot.

You can try scanning the disc for errors with Nero DiscSpeed:

1. Download Nero DiscSpeed (freeware).
  2. Extract it to wherever you wish
  3. Run the program
  4. Select the ScanDisc tab
  5. Place the original DVD in your DVD drive
  6. Select that drive from the Nero DiscSpeed interface
  7. Click Start

Any red spots that show up are read errors.

As far as answering your question as to how I am trying to rip it. I am just loading the original disc into said programs and trying to rip directly to an image file (ISO) to have a 1-to-1 copy on my hard drive.

I tried "Rip to image" but not "Rip to Harddisk" within AnyDVD and as you indicated, the Rip to Image gave back an error around the same part of the disc where ImgBurn gave an error (69% in). I can try the Rip to Harddisk tonight when I get home as I am currently away from my home computer, but I wanted to just make a reply and let you know I saw your post. I will edit this post with the results of that and/or Nero DiscSpeed.

On a side note: Knowing full well DVD Decrypter is outdated, it does sometimes yield results which ImgBurn does not. ImgBurn has a hard time verifying the data on a burned disc of any image it creates with AnyDVD running. However, if the image is created with DVD Decrypter, ImgBurn verifies a burned copy of that image fine.

Last edited:
Dravir said:
Changed firstplay: Jump directly to TitleMenu!

"Remove annoying adverts and trailers" does not work properly with all dvds, and may even make some discs unplayable.

1. Click the red fox icon on your toolbar. Click "default". Click "ok".

I tried "Rip to image"

Don't. Never use "rip to .iso" when the original disc contains structural protection. That feature was introduced after HD-DVD and Blu-rays were introduced (Blu-ray users were clamouring for this feature), and it's not a coincidence that neither HD-DVDs nor Blu-rays currently contain structural protection. Never use decrypter nor imgburn to rip.

2. Use "rip video dvd to hard disk" only. If you receive an error message, please provide the full error message.

ImgBurn has a hard time verifying the data on a burned disc of any image it creates with AnyDVD running.

Simply right click on the red fox icon on your toolbar, and uncheck "enable Anydvd" before verifying.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Volume 2, Region 1, USA, Released on August 5, 2008

Hmm

I wasn't aware Bandai Entertainment was using structural protection on their dvd releases. Interesting

This is the dvd, right? http://www.amazon.com/Code-Geass-Leouch-Rebellion-Vol/dp/B001AZ5ITW

Last edited:

Yes, sir you are correct.

What happens if you use the built-in AnyDVD ripper by right-clicking on the fox in your systray and selecting Rip Video DVD to Harddisk...?

It results in the following error, which I have attached another picture as well.

TitleSet 5 - 69% Complete
FileIO 3 VTS_05_1.VOB 4840378368 667648

"Remove annoying adverts and trailers" does not work properly with all dvds.

Good thought, so I tried Rip to Harddisk again with it disabled. Got to the same point and ended up with the exact same error code at the same point on the disc.

You can try scanning the disc for errors with Nero DiscSpeed

Despite knowing the disc was just taken out of its shrink wrap, I went ahead with this test as well (with the Adverts and Trailers option still disabled). Sure enough, 69% of the way in and errors began to pop up. I posted a screen shot of the results of that test too.

So at this point, I'm going to take a stab at it and say that there was probably a bad batch of DVD's off the assembly line at Bandai?

Attachments

• FileIO3Error.jpg
    FileIO3Error.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 4
  • NeroSpeedErrors.jpg
    NeroSpeedErrors.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
So at this point, I'm going to take a stab at it and say that there was probably a bad batch of DVD's off the assembly line at Bandai?

Not necessarily

Here's the problem: this dvd, according to Anydvd, contains structural protection.

a) If Anydvd doesn't handle this dvd properly (due to structural protection), then nero discspeed is still going to report read errors anyway. The only time I feel safe when nero discspeed is reporting read errors is when the original dvd doesn't contain structural protection.

b) If the disc is damaged, nero discspeed is going to report read errors.

So which is it? Is Anydvd not handling the disc properly--or is the disc damaged? I have no clue.

I'm going to send James (Drinklyeanddie and I don't work for Slysoft) a private message. He will decide what to do.

Last edited:
I checked the IFO and log files. VTS_05_1.VOB does contain structural protection, but according to the logs AnyDVD has removed it correctly.

Either I have overlooked something or the disc is indeed defective.

Thank you very much, all of you, for your help. I will contact Bandai's Customer Support and see whether this is an isolated problem or they truly have a bad batch of discs at retail.

Solution

It turns out there was a mastering problem on a batch of discs they manufactured. I sent my disc back to Bandai and they are going to be replacing it. Just wanted to give an update. Thanks again.

Back