• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Won't Burn DVD -R

What can I say...the answer was starring me in the face. After making a dozen coasters with the Verbatim DVD -R (4X), media ID MCC01RG20, I remembered that I also had a registered version of 1Click DVD Copy Pro. You guessed it, it worked fine with the Verbatim -R blank media. I guess I just got tunnel vision when trying to get Clone DVD 2 to burn to that freaking -R media. I used 1Click DVD Copy Pro before I purchased Clone DVD 2. I figured that having AnyDVD and Clone DVD 2 being developed and supported by the same people would be a wise decision with regard to compatibility. And, until the -R fiasco, it has been a great decision. So, my solution is to use Clone DVD 2 for +R media and 1Click DVD Copy Pro for -R media.

Questions: I think I have pretty much eliminated the media as the culprit; it works with Nero for Data and Music, with Norton 360 for system backups, and now it works with 1Click DVD Copy Pro for Movies. Could this be something specific to Clone DVD 2 or is it AnyDVD? Perhaps Clone DVD 2 could offer more specific choices for the type of blank media; e.g., DVD -R, DVD -RW, DVD +R, DVD +RW, DVD +R DL, etc. That way they could hone in on specific problems such as the one I had using the Verbatim -R media. Also, choosing the Maximum speed is not really explained anywhere that I could find.

Once again, thank you so much for spending time with this problem....

Could this be something specific to Clone DVD 2 or is it AnyDVD? .

Since this is a burning issue, I would look at Clonedvd2; it shouldn't have anything do to with Anydvd. And I have no issues burning dvd-r, dvd+r, and dvd+R DL with Clonedvd2 on three different systems (over six burners). For Verbatim +R DL media though, I've completely switched to Clonecd.

Last edited:
I did notice that 1Click DVD Copy Pro has a setting named "Set DVD-R write mode" and the choices are Burn Engine Decides, DAO Packet Writing, or Try SAO First. I had mine set to the default of "Burn Engine Decides." Not that I'm smart enough to know the differences....

Will admin pass this thread along to the developers? Should they? Can you?
Or, is this a non-issue because I used a different software as my work-around or I have a unique combination of OS, burner, software, and blank media?????

Did you say that you've switched to CloneCD for DVD +R DL media? Why? I haven't checked out CloneCD, because I thought it only applied to music CD's and not movies. Whoa boy and am I lost now......

Last edited:
Will admin pass this thread along to the developers? Should they? Can you?

With all due respect, I have over 3000 posts here, which, in of itself, is meaningless, but I have read probably over 95% of the threads here. This issue you're having with this specific type of media, your burner, and Clonedvd is pretty unique. Therefore, I sincerely doubt any company, much less Elaborate Bytes (the developers of Clonedvd2), would care that much--especially if they can't reproduce the issue (and I certainly can't).

It's possible that some other software on your system is interfering with Clonedvd in some manner, but you'd have to start uninstalling stuff (and I'd start with anything involving burning applications) to figure out what it is.

You're certainly welcome to contact Elaborate Bytes to see what they'll say:
http://elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/publisher.php

Last edited:
Did you say that you've switched to CloneCD for DVD +R DL media? Why? I haven't checked out CloneCD, because I thought it only applied to music CD's and not movies. Whoa boy and am I lost now......

Because Clonedvd2 will not retain the original layer break position with +R DL media. Read http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=685

Actually, I now use this method exclusively for backing up my collection:
visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

Last edited:
What can I say...the answer was starring me in the face. After making a dozen coasters with the Verbatim DVD -R (4X), media ID MCC01RG20, I remembered that I also had a registered version of 1Click DVD Copy Pro. You guessed it, it worked fine with the Verbatim -R blank media. I guess I just got tunnel vision when trying to get Clone DVD 2 to burn to that freaking -R media. I used 1Click DVD Copy Pro before I purchased Clone DVD 2. I figured that having AnyDVD and Clone DVD 2 being developed and supported by the same people would be a wise decision with regard to compatibility. And, until the -R fiasco, it has been a great decision. So, my solution is to use Clone DVD 2 for +R media and 1Click DVD Copy Pro for -R media.

Questions: I think I have pretty much eliminated the media as the culprit; it works with Nero for Data and Music, with Norton 360 for system backups, and now it works with 1Click DVD Copy Pro for Movies. Could this be something specific to Clone DVD 2 or is it AnyDVD? Perhaps Clone DVD 2 could offer more specific choices for the type of blank media; e.g., DVD -R, DVD -RW, DVD +R, DVD +RW, DVD +R DL, etc. That way they could hone in on specific problems such as the one I had using the Verbatim -R media. Also, choosing the Maximum speed is not really explained anywhere that I could find.

Once again, thank you so much for spending time with this problem....

I have had the same result - with DVD -R Media Using CloneDVD2

Using the 1Click5 // PRO Burn engine
- I must have it Set to "Try SAO First"
- or I have the same result

It has something to do - with the Burner
- It usually more effects LG ( based ) Drives

My solution is Simply to Use DVD +Rs only - when using CloneDVD2 to burn
( I prefer +Rs anyway )

In the time I've spent on the LGSI forum
- we see this quite a lot
The "Try SAO First" setting usually resolves the 'freeze-up' Issue
- when burning -Rs with 1Click5 // PRO

We are not sure - exactly what causes this ;
It definitely depends on the Burner .
The Set-Up ?
If it also depends on an influence - from other software ?
- like if the Sonic Burn Engine - is also installed ?
- We're just not sure
There is definitely some conflict - somewhere

I don't really have a solution for you
I never resolved the Issue for Myself
I just wanted to share my experience
- before you go ripping your Computer apart

I Just use +Rs when Burning with CloneDVD2/ CloneCD
You could just Burn the Folder with 1Click/PRO
or then - even try IMGBurn/Nero for your -Rs

;)

Many many thanks to everyone who responded. I have taken to heart all of the suggestions given. I think I will check out CloneCD and see how it handles the -R media and because of how it is suppose to retain the layer breaks on the +R DL media. I do agree that the +R media is the way to go and I'm working on getting rid of the old DVD player that can only run the -R media.

Once again, thank you to everyone for your patience

Hold on a sec . . .

Have you tried changing the booktype of +r media to "dvd-rom"?
Read step 3

Exactly !
and I should have added this ....

My HP640b(LG) Automatically Book-Types to DVD-ROM
as does my MAD DOG MD-16X3DVD9-8X

My PS2 and My Toshiba both only accept -Rs
.. or then +Rs Book-Typed to DVD-ROM
The +Rs(ROM) play beautifully in ALL of my players

Alex's Guide to Booktyping DVD+R to DVD-ROM

;)

I followed the instructions for using the Nero CD-DVD Speed. I have version 4.7.0.2. All of my screens matched the tutorial. Apparently my drive does allow setting the book type, because the first screen I received showed all 3 types of +R media and the column for new setting automatically showed DVD-ROM. However, when I clicked on the Set button I received the message "Setting Book Type Failed." I understand you are trying to save me time and money by being able to use the +R media in the old DVD player and that is terrific. And, I understand what you want me to do about changing my book type. But it won't "Set", let alone allow me to set DVD-ROM as the default. Should I try Imgburn instead?

I followed the instructions for using the Nero CD-DVD Speed. I have version 4.7.0.2. All of my screens matched the tutorial. Apparently my drive does allow setting the book type, because the first screen I received showed all 3 types of +R media and the column for new setting automatically showed DVD-ROM. However, when I clicked on the Set button I received the message "Setting Book Type Failed." I understand you are trying to save me time and money by being able to use the +R media in the old DVD player and that is terrific. And, I understand what you want me to do about changing my book type. But it won't "Set", let alone allow me to set DVD-ROM as the default. Should I try Imgburn instead?

You may already be 'Book-Typing"

Place a Burned DVD+R in your Drive
Let AnyDVD recognize the Disc
Look at the 'Status Window"

If it reads as below
You're already all set to go ....

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.1.3.6)
HP DVD WRITER 640B E223 05/10/21KRKC27185B
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2286096 sectors (4465 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: BOBBY
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

If not , Could you post your Burners Make Model
- from the AnyDVD "Status" Window
.... and I'll try some 'research'

;)

AnyDVD reports boot type as dvd +r dl. Before you do anything else, please let me make sure it is not me....questions: Do I need a blank media inserted to set the book type? If so, do I need a copy of each of the 3 +R media types to set the book type for each one individually. Will I have to set the book type each and every time I burn a DVD? BTW, same problems with ImgBurn; i.e., won't save book type changes...

Do I need a blank media inserted to set the book type?

Yes (in your burner); the booktype for the disk isn't going to change otherwise. And you'll want to change
booktype before you burn.

If so, do I need a copy of each of the 3 +R media types to set the book type for each one individually.

Not necessary

Will I have to set the book type each and every time I burn a DVD?

For your Samsung burner--quite possibly (it depends on the burner and its firmware)

Last edited:
Used blank +r, change to DVD-ROM accepted on all 3 types of +R media. Won't let me save as default setting. I'm assuming this is the why behind the question do I need to set the book type each time I burn a DVD.

Off to burn a +R and the try to play it on the DVD player that only accepts -R. Assuming I'm on the right track....

Used blank +r, change to DVD-ROM accepted on all 3 types of +R media. Won't let me save as default setting. I'm assuming this is the why behind the question do I need to set the book type each time I burn a DVD.

Yes, that's correct.

Back