• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

WinXP Pro 32 or 64 bit?

Roundtree

Greetings to all,

WinXP Home SP2 is my present operatingsystem with an AMD Athlon 2800+ processor. This summer I think to purchase a new dual core pc. Instead of one of Windows Premium or Vista I am considering WinXP Pro.

I am now investigating whether I should purchase one with 32 or 64 bits.

Admittedly my knowledge of the 64 bit operatingsystems is very limited. So I am busy googling almost everyday now.

If any of you more experienced forum members would give me the benefit of your experience and/or knowledge I certainly would appreciate it.

Thank you.

64 bit XP in my opinion was just a prototype for Vista that came out as a beta not much longer after the xp 64. xp 64 doesn't get any service packs but the SP1 that it has. XP 64 bit is very lomited support from MS it never really took off.

Charlie, thanks for replying. I see from your system configuration that you are using Vista 64 bit.

Is it your opinion that the potential of the dual core processors is better made use of using a 64 bit operating-system?

Is it true that the new 64 bit operating systems made by Microsoft are having serious difficulties running software that ran well under its 32 bit WinXP Home & Pro?

64Bit will render very little gain in any OS. The main advantage being recognition of 4GB's of RAM (if the MOBO is accepting) and that is far from necessary with XP. Many softwares are not compatible with the 64Bit platform.
XP Pro has very little advantage over XP Home and XP Home is considerably cheaper.

64 bit XP in my opinion was just a prototype for Vista that came out as a beta not much longer after the xp 64. xp 64 doesn't get any service packs but the SP1 that it has. XP 64 bit is very lomited support from MS it never really took off.

64Bit XP a prototype for Vista? Where did you get that information? XP 64 has been around a long time but really had no use because of lack of compatibility. with softwares.....much like now. The limitations of support was more software than MS.

Charlie, thanks for replying. I see from your system configuration that you are using Vista 64 bit.

Is it your opinion that the potential of the dual core processors is better made use of using a 64 bit operating-system?

Is it true that the new 64 bit operating systems made by Microsoft are having serious difficulties running software that ran well under its 32 bit WinXP Home & Pro?

Well we all use different software than others but from all the trial software I found and the ones I have there was no issues. Vista's big advantage is the UDF File system and support to handle more RAM as the whole Blu-Ray era is on it's way. Nothing is personally wrong with Vista and with my system I have actually gained performance with Vista over XP as I used XP at first to see if any difference was there. We all have our own opinions and when Windows 7 comes to market I really see the users going from Windows to either a MAC or Linux as code name windows 7 is only going to be a subscription service meaning they will charge you monthly or yearly to use their OS then from what I have been reading.

Well we all use different software than others but from all the trial software I found and the ones I have there was no issues. Vista's big advantage is the UDF File system and support to handle more RAM as the whole Blu-Ray era is on it's way. Nothing is personally wrong with Vista and with my system I have actually gained performance with Vista over XP as I used XP at first to see if any difference was there.

I have found a great many issues with many softwares and Vista but perhaps I use the wrong ones? :confused:
The abilities to handle more RAM is primarily dictated by the MOBO chipset as opposed to the OS.
I, as well as many others, have recognized NO performance gains using Vista compared to XP...actually quite the opposite.

I thank both of you for your input.

My impression was that a pc using a dual core processor would perform better if the OS was 64 bit.

If I understand you correctly, OldJoe, I can keep WinXP Home 32 bit as my OS when upgrading to a pc using a dual core processor.

I have found a great many issues with many softwares and Vista but perhaps I use the wrong ones? :confused:
The abilities to handle more RAM is primarily dictated by the MOBO chipset as opposed to the OS.
I, as well as many others, have recognized NO performance gains using Vista compared to XP...actually quite the opposite.

Windows Vista 64 bit gives a 10-15 bonus over the normal vista 32 bit version when a 64 bit applications is used. Any 32bit software that runs on Windows Vista 32 bit will run on Windows vista 64 bit as long as it does not require a driver.

If software requires a drive to be used you must have a certified Windows Vista 64 bit driver to use that software. An example of this would be Printers, DVD burning drivers, and ect.

The major advantage of Windows Vista 64 bit as stated before is the ability to use more then 4 GIG of memory. This is also a hardware restriction based on a motherboard. Examle : Motherboard with 4 GIG of memery running Windows Vista 32 bit version will only use\load about 2.75-3.5 GIGS of memory (Graphics cards and other memory uses this limitation also)

Windows Vista 64-bit break down on memory can be viewed at this webpage
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx

Windows Vista software combat ability issues come from the fact that software company are still using 16-bit install and process that use 16-bit code. This code is not supported at all on Windows Vista OS's.

The real question that should be asked is if ANYDVD works with Windows Vista 64 bit version since I be leave it uses a driver to communicate with the DVD-Rom exacting the information. (Nero 8 supports Vista 64bit for DVD drivers for burning)

I thank both of you for your input.

My impression was that a pc using a dual core processor would perform better if the OS was 64 bit.

If I understand you correctly, OldJoe, I can keep WinXP Home 32 bit as my OS when upgrading to a pc using a dual core processor.

You will definitely see a performance gain using a Dual Core CPU as opposed to a Single Core CPU but the performance gain using the 64Bit will be negligible in comparison.
Yes, you can use XP Home 32Bit with a Dual Core CPU..... without all of the hardware requirements that Vista demands to operate efficiently. That equals a substantial monies savings.

Windows Vista 64 bit gives a 10-15 bonus over the normal vista 32 bit version when a 64 bit applications is used.

The "Bonus" you speak of is determined by Vista..hardly a justifiable guideline.

Any 32bit software that runs on Windows Vista 32 bit will run on Windows vista 64 bit as long as it does not require a driver.
If software requires a drive to be used you must have a certified Windows Vista 64 bit driver to use that software. An example of this would be Printers, DVD burning drivers, and ect.

But, the needed drivers are needed for many software and hardwares and they are not readily available for many hardwares..... particularly for printers.

The major advantage of Windows Vista 64 bit as stated before is the ability to use more then 4 GIG of memory. This is also a hardware restriction based on a motherboard. Examle : Motherboard with 4 GIG of memery running Windows Vista 32 bit version will only use\load about 2.75-3.5 GIGS of memory (Graphics cards and other memory uses this limitation also)

Vista is the only OS that "requires" so much memory so the "advantage" is more like a necessity for Vista to perform efficiently. XP will perform with great ease with 1G of RAM.

The real question that should be asked is if ANYDVD works with Windows Vista 64 bit version since I be leave it uses a driver to communicate with the DVD-Rom exacting the information. (Nero 8 supports Vista 64bit for DVD drivers for burning)

To the best of my knowledge, AnyDVD has no problems with a 64Bit OS. Someone please correct me if that is wrong.

Thanks to you all for helping me.

I have decided to stick with WinXP Home Edition 32 bit as my OS for the new dual core computer that I am saving to buy. I have been googling the internet for a few days now and although opinions vary what keeps popping up is the view that the new Windows OS's are having problems with driver support and that the performance of the Home Premium OS only marginally out perform WinXP (if at all).

XP will perform with great ease with 1G of RAM.

My last set of XP machines were 512. And XP itself was fine, though some intense applications thrived better on 1G.

-W

I dual boot

I dual-boot. With 2 different harddrives. I love 64 bit, but, software is tuff to find.

Win xp pro 32 bit =This is where I install all my burning/office/quicken/virus-scanner/ all my other software/etc.

Win xp pro 64 bit. This is where I install my game BF 2142 and what few 64 bit software I need. I keep this Clean and fast.

I have run Preformance Tests 6 on both.
32 bit 900 something
64 bit 1100 something
Same hardware. 4 Gig Ram / AMD 6400 x2 OC to 3.3 mhz

5-8 years we will all be 64 bit and so will the software- I have read.

i lke 64 bit

I've been running XP Pro x64 for a couple years. I suppose there might have been one or two headaches that I could have bypassed if I had stayed with 32 bit, but then there are one or two headaches that 64 bit solve.
I just built a Media PC for my home, and made it 64 bit Vista. I didn't even consider making it 32 bit.
However, it's becoming more and more likely that I'll switch from Vista back to XP Pro x64. I can't say that I've found one feature that I like better under Vista, and there's several that I absolutely hate.

Greetings to all,

WinXP Home SP2 is my present operatingsystem with an AMD Athlon 2800+ processor. This summer I think to purchase a new dual core pc. Instead of one of Windows Premium or Vista I am considering WinXP Pro.

I am now investigating whether I should purchase one with 32 or 64 bits.

Admittedly my knowledge of the 64 bit operatingsystems is very limited. So I am busy googling almost everyday now.

If any of you more experienced forum members would give me the benefit of your experience and/or knowledge I certainly would appreciate it.

Thank you.

5-8 years we will all be 64 bit and so will the software- I have read.

Perhaps there will be more compatible software in that time frame. :D:D
Vista will be by the wayside by then and hopefully the next MS OS will actually be something new.

Back