• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

WinDVD 9

Then wouldn't the simple solution be?:
a) burn your stuff on rewriteable discs (more expensive and 50GB rewritables in bad availability)
b) trick WinDVD9 (and powerdvd) into thinking it is a rewriteable disc

Then wouldn't the simple solution be?:
a) burn your stuff on rewriteable discs (more expensive and 50GB rewritables in bad availability)

And in order to do this we need to fully remove AACS and BD+ which Slysoft is so merrily doing for us with many many discs now. :D The thing I haven't yet seen [or maybe I've missed] is whether or not someone has ripped, burned and then played a BD-RE backup with WinDVD yet. Until someone reports on the results we're in the dark.

b) trick WinDVD9 (and powerdvd) into thinking it is a rewriteable disc

I believe this was discussed at one point quite some time ago. Possibly done when an image was mounted with Virtual CloneDrive. I don't know if anything ever came of it, though, beyond just being talk. I honestly can't even remember what James or peer said because I'm sure one of them had some input in the conversation.

And in order to do this we need to fully remove AACS and BD+ which Slysoft is so merrily doing for us with many many discs now. :D The thing I haven't yet seen [or maybe I've missed] is whether or not someone has ripped, burned and then played a BD-RE backup with WinDVD yet. Until someone reports on the results we're in the dark.

I believe this was discussed at one point quite some time ago. Possibly done when an image was mounted with Virtual CloneDrive. I don't know if anything ever came of it, though, beyond just being talk. I honestly can't even remember what James or peer said because I'm sure one of them had some input in the conversation.

They said, that Corel didn't want to sell the program, so we couldn't look at the problem. Now we'll do if we have the time (not so soon), after Corel finally decided to sell a retail version.

They said, that Corel didn't want to sell the program, so we couldn't look at the problem. Now we'll do if we have the time (not so soon), after Corel finally decided to sell a retail version.

Ah, yes, that would be it. I'm old and senile. I tend to forget. ;)

Thanks! :D

So far Win Dvd 9 is playing everything i have from iso, Blu rays and Hd dvds, with Anydvd HD running. the only thing i did was mount the image first and than i just started up win dvd 9, when i do that Win dvd automatically started playing whatever was mounted in daemon tools. when Win dvd is running first nothing worked right, i wonder if someone else could try it this way to see if it will work for them too

Last edited:
So far Win Dvd 9 is playing everything i have from iso, Blu rays and Hd dvds, with Anydvd HD running. the only thing i did was mount the image first and than i just started up win dvd 9, when i do that Win dvd automatically started playing whatever was mounted in daemon tools. when Win dvd is running first nothing worked right, i wonder if someone else could try it this way to see if it will work for them too

ok this is strange this morning when i turned on the computer, the above method does not work now. Does anyone know why it would work yesterday and after a restart it does not , i wonder if its with Win dvd or something with my computer its to bad because it was working with everthing, and one note yesterday when it was working, if it was a Hd dvd it would say that but if it was a blu ray it would say what ever the codec was eg AVC hd etc.

The thing I haven't yet seen [or maybe I've missed] is whether or not someone has ripped, burned and then played a BD-RE backup with WinDVD yet. Until someone reports on the results we're in the dark.
Burning ‘already existing…’ BR rips from HDD to BD-RE disc and playing the disc with WinDVD works fine.

Unfortunately the audio part of windvd is a mess (no DTS HD MA decoding, auto audio ‘expansion’ to 7 channels regardless of the source (so even if it manages to play a DTS HD MA 7.1 track we won’t know if we hear an ‘expanded’ 5.1 dts core track or the original 7.1 ma one), downsampling to 48/16, crazy audio bitrate reports etc).

I am asking for a refund and waiting for PDVD 8.

Maybe I have a crappy memory, but, I just don't seem to recall having this many problems with DVD playback back in the beginning. I had one of the Hollywood Real Magic decoders back then and it simply worked. Now I realize BD/HD DVD playback is infinitely more complicated, but, seriously, how can they get such basic things so very wrong? And it's not just WinDVD, it's pretty much everyone. The PS3 doesn't have DTS HD MA decoding yet, either. If it's so hard to implement, then why the hell did they include it in the standard? Yea, I guess I'm just frustrated with the status of playback. I just wish someone somewhere would get it right.

The thing I haven't yet seen [or maybe I've missed] is whether or not someone has ripped, burned and then played a BD-RE backup with WinDVD yet. Until someone reports on the results we're in the dark.

Yes, I did. I used WinDVD BD for VAIO, which came with my laptop. WinDVD 9 should behave the same. I mentioned this recently here.

Yes, I did. I used WinDVD BD for VAIO, which came with my laptop. WinDVD 9 should behave the same. I mentioned this recently here.

Thanks for the link. :) So BD-RE worked on WinDVD 8 and it's been confirmed with WinDVD 9, as well. Nice.

I do read nearly all the posts in this forum but seeing that I don't own an HD or BD player/drive I don't know nearly as much about things since I can't do any actual hands-on experimenting.

I don't always remember everything I've read in all the different threads. :eek:

And it's not just WinDVD, it's pretty much everyone. The PS3 doesn't have DTS HD MA decoding yet, either. If it's so hard to implement, then why the hell did they include it in the standard?

To my knowledge, support for DTS MA playback by a player is optional. Players are only supposed to play the 'core' part of it, which is normal DTS. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats. By the way, DTS playback is optional for DVD players according to the same source.

Interesting. Well that certainly blows. A lot of Fox titles have it yet not a hell of a lot of people can actually take advantage of it. In my case even if the PS3 did end up getting it I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it without a new receiver which just isn't in the budget right now. As it is I'm hoping to replace my bedroom tv with a 40-42" Samsung LCD in the near future. For me to take advantage of it I need a software player that can do it through analog.

[SARCASM]

Interesting. Well that certainly blows. A lot of Fox titles have it yet not a hell of a lot of people can actually take advantage of it.

Making use of something before anyone can really enjoy it or before players can really take advantage of it. That never happens. :rolleyes:

In my case even if the PS3 did end up getting it I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it without a new receiver which just isn't in the budget right now. As it is I'm hoping to replace my bedroom tv with a 40-42" Samsung LCD in the near future. For me to take advantage of it I need a software player that can do it through analog.

Hmmm... maybe a new Sony receiver? Wow, am I talking about Sony and the upgrades BD require or Microsoft and the hardware upgrades the Vista requires? :eek: This, right here, is part of why I haven't even gotten into HD or BD yet.

[/SARCASM]

LOL. No, no Sony receiver for me. I'd take one of the new Onkyo's though. Not bad for a cheap receiver. I wish Yamaha would put something in my price range. By the time I'm ready I'm sure they will. Then my existing receiver will migrate to the bedroom and piss my kids off. :D I already have a full logitech surround set up in there, but, a full yamaha with speakers in the bedroom would be overkill. Yes, we watch a lot of tv in there cause my wife works late and we tivo all her shows in HD. But I'd like to be able to watch BD's in there, as well, so, new TV first. I can't wait. I'm not sure when I'll pull the trigger on that one. Could be later this summer if I can wait.

A lot of Fox titles have it yet not a hell of a lot of people can actually take advantage of it.

You should have said 'take full advantage of it", because every Blu-ray player plays the 'core' part of DTS MA tracks which Fox puts on his titles. I think they use DTS MA so that they only have to use one audio track which includes both lossy (the 'core') and lossless (the whole track) sound. Otherwise, they would have to put both Dolby 5.1 and Dolby TrueHD (or, even worse, LPCM, which takes a lot of space).

EDIT: I listen to Blu-ray audio through internal speakers of HDTV, connected to my laptop with HDMI cable, so I'm OK with the current audio support in PowerDVD.

Last edited:
You should have said 'take full advantage of it", because every Blu-ray player plays the 'core' part of DTS MA tracks which Fox puts on his titles. I think they use DTS MA so that they only have to use one audio track which includes both lossy (the 'core') and lossless (the whole track) sound. Otherwise, they would have to put both Dolby 5.1 and Dolby TrueHD (or, even worse, LPCM, which takes a lot of space).

Point taken. Yes, I'd like to take advantage of lossless decoding of DTS HD MA. I'm sure we'll get there eventually.

Not Exactly. A Homemade video would be written on a Re-Writable type disc, which is not a ROM (Read Only) Blu-Ray disc. Studios use a 'press'-type technique that allows them 'put' (notice i didn't say 'write') the data on the disc. These are Blu-ray ROMs. We 'write/burn' data onto Discs, which are either classified as write once, read many, or rewritiable. The Drive can tell which type of disc is in it and if its a true 'ROM', it requires AACS to be present. If its a writable media type, it doesn't care.

thanks for your answer !
With daemon tools, there a lot of options to emulate drivers... too bad we can't emulate BD R(E) disc... it's the solution no ?
I hope Powerdvd doesn't follow the way :agree:

thanks for your answer !
With daemon tools, there a lot of options to emulate drivers... too bad we can't emulate BD R(E) disc... it's the solution no ?
I hope Powerdvd doesn't follow the way :agree:

I believe Slysoft is working on a new verion of Virtual CloneDrive to handle that very thing. They've, uh, been kind of busy lately so I'm sure it got shoved to the back burner, but, maybe they'll have a bit more time to work on that now.

Spent the day screwing with this program. It crashes about into 10 minutes of watching regular DVDs. The video enhancement is great, makes DVDS look like video tape. Audio is poor. On Kebmo 54th live the sound pumps up and down (like a compressor-limiter). Bass is also weak. Corel needs much work to make the product function properly.

I have had NO issues with PVD 7.3 3319a. The Clev2 works best with regular DVDs, Purevideo has too much motion artifacts.

All this software reminds me when I worked in IT. Lots of bugs and fire fighting to get apps to work. Too bad the consumer must suffer.:(

I have no problems at all with WinDVD 9. All2HD is comparable to a Theatertek+ffdshow LimitedSharpenFaster setup with Lanczos applied. Did some comparisons and got same results. It looks just great but it also makes badly authored DVDs look worse, thats true because it sharpens all the compression artifacts too. With well authored discs All2HD is great and I prefer it to the TT+ffdshow configuration!

Last edited:
Back