• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

WinDVD 9

I have not been able to get WinDVD 9 + HD/BD to play Blu-ray ISO's created from AnyDVD backups including 6.4.0.0. HD works Ok.

Of the 3 (PowerDVD 7.3, WinDVD 9 and Nero 8), WinDVD is the least reliable and appears to check for the presence of AnyDVD and stops when it finds it.

Wow, not too long ago I predicted that we would start seeing some sort of detection algorithm with respect to Blu-Ray / HD DVD player software and AnyDVD_HD. I though it more likely to show up in PowerDVD Ultra first though.

Interesting,….

It seems to be a little too early to make that type of determination but it’s a direction I think we will likely soon see.

I don't have AnyDVD on my computer trying to play ISO's using WinDVD 9. ISO's are stored on 2 x 3TB NAS devices in Raid5 configuration.

It can detect all it wants. I won't play the Blu-ray ISOs. I think it's a bug in the player.

It should play BD rips written to actual BD-RE disc though. WinDVD 8 BD for VAIO does. I don't think WinDVD checks for the presence of AnyDVD. It's something different. James said he would fix it one day.
Yup. It is probably the "BD-ROM & !AACS = DO NOT PLAY" check.
PowerDVD did the same (starting with 3319f IIRC), AnyDVD now "converts" every BD-ROM into a BD-R (or RE? or DVD? don't remember). I am certain this just needs a little modification to work with WinDVD (which I never succeeded to buy, so I couldn't fix it).

PowerDVD did the same (starting with 3319f IIRC)

I think this check started with 3319 (without any letter). In 3319f they removed playback from folders and "BD+ with no AACS" playback. So 3319a still remains most decent version.

I think this check started with 3319 (without any letter). In 3319f they removed playback from folders and "BD+ with no AACS" playback.

You might indeed be right, my memory often fails me... :eek:

PowerDVD did the same (starting with 3319f IIRC), AnyDVD now "converts" every BD-ROM into a BD-R (or RE? or DVD? don't remember). I am certain this just needs a little modification to work with WinDVD (which I never succeeded to buy, so I couldn't fix it).

WinDVD 9 will not play Die Hard 4 after latest AnyDVD HD backup and then converted to ISO.

What about patching the program?

Just disable autorun of the program called "RemoteControl" (c:\program files\cyberlink\powerdvd\pdvdserv.exe). You can use very nice program called "Autoruns" from Sysinternals/Microsoft to do this. Or Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> System Configuration ("Startup" tab).

Thanks, testing now.

Purchased, downloaded, installed, and activated WinDVD9 on my main HTPC.

Plays DVD's fine.

Will not play BD or HD-DVD from ISO. Tried both with AnyDVD HD running and not running, no difference.

Have not tried playing directly from a disc.

Since it did not work on that HTPC, I installed and activated on my second HTPC as a test. Exactly the same results.
Just like WinDVD8, it is not recognized by my ATI Remote Wonder. Yet another strike against it, since PowerDVD Ultra is recognized, as is Intervideo Home Theatre.

So far, that was $59CDN wasted.....

Just tested WinDVD9 with a Blu-Ray disc.

Would not play with AnyDVD HD running.

Played fine with AnyDVD HD not running.

Why does WinDVD9 have AnyDVD HD blacklisted?

Just tested WinDVD9 with a Blu-Ray disc.

Would not play with AnyDVD HD running.

Played fine with AnyDVD HD not running.

Why does WinDVD9 have AnyDVD HD blacklisted?

They don't have it "blacklisted". It is the BD-ROM check. No AACS & BD-ROM = DO NOT PLAY. HD DVD doesn't have such a requirement, so HD DVDs should work fine.

They don't have it "blacklisted". It is the BD-ROM check. No AACS & BD-ROM = DO NOT PLAY. HD DVD doesn't have such a requirement, so HD DVDs should work fine.

I'm trying to help my dad set up his HDPC and we need AnyDVD since something with our reciever is messing up HDCP (even though it works fine with my Xbox). If we plug directly into the TV everything is fine. He would perfer going through the reciever for ease of use.

I was wondering if you think you will be able to get around this issue with WinDVD? From the sounds of it PowerDVD does not have the same issue. However he really doesn't like it, so if we can avoid it thats best :p

After reading this, I did a bit more testing.

I have verified that WinDVD9 will play an HD-DVD movie from iso image, and from disc, with AnyDVD HD running.

However, since AnyDVD HD and imgburn should create an iso that has neither AACS or BD+, I don't understand.

After reading this, I did a bit more testing.

I have verified that WinDVD9 will play an HD-DVD movie from iso image, and from disc, with AnyDVD HD running.

However, since AnyDVD HD and imgburn should create an iso that has neither AACS or BD+, I don't understand.

You just said that HD-DVD worked fine from the disc and an image. As it should and as James said.

Apparently WinDVD checks BluRay (BD-ROM) discs and if the disc has no AACS then it won't play. This is unrelated to HD-DVD. It is mandatory for all BD-ROM releases to have AACS. The HD-DVD specs made AACS optional so WinDVD couldn't block non-AACS playback of HD-DVDs w/o being total morons. To top it off HD-DVD does not even have BD+ as a protection mechanism.

You can't compare HD-DVD playback to BD playback in this situation with WinDVD. :)

Last edited:
Basically it means it won't be a viable player to us unless someone releases a patch to trick WinDVD 9 to play all blu-rays regardless.

Being that the player is buggy, I doubt much effort will be exhausted to make it work when PowerDVD already works.

Apparently WinDVD checks BluRay (BD-ROM) discs and if the disc has no AACS then it won't play. This is unrelated to HD-DVD. It is mandatory for all BD-ROM releases to have AACS.
OK, it makes sense now. I was not aware of this.

but if you make a BD with homemade's video you can't play with windvd 9 because it's BD but without AACS ?
it's stupid no ?

but if you make a BD with homemade's video you can't play with windvd 9 because it's BD but without AACS ?
it's stupid no ?

Not Exactly. A Homemade video would be written on a Re-Writable type disc, which is not a ROM (Read Only) Blu-Ray disc. Studios use a 'press'-type technique that allows them 'put' (notice i didn't say 'write') the data on the disc. These are Blu-ray ROMs. We 'write/burn' data onto Discs, which are either classified as write once, read many, or rewritiable. The Drive can tell which type of disc is in it and if its a true 'ROM', it requires AACS to be present. If its a writable media type, it doesn't care.

Back