• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Windows Vista Blocks Gamejackal pro

fouad

at startup , vista blocks jackal, i can't find jackal in startup msconfig either and when i right click to convert to jackal it doesn't do anything. i think something is blocking it i check rules in northon jackal is listed and changed to allow in the firewall so i donno window defender is off i dono what to do!!

Well, I post now 2 threads, that report the same problem. Read them completely to understand what's going on.

Now, if you are an experienced user, there are 6 ways to fix that issue.
One is described here, made by me, but it won't work for everyone, due to unknown issues.

But if that doesn't solve the problem, because sometimes it needs a registry fix, I can give you a really advanced solution, but I don't believe you are, because then you would have some development skills and can solve that problem on your own if you go to MSDN Website and search for the article.

The issue is known by matthew, as I spammed him with that, by 10 PM and he has all the knowledge he needs to solve the problem.
The Problem is GameJackal not Windows Vista, as Chris wrote me once, that I shouldn't be using Vista. Not a good idea. It's also not a good idea to disable UAC for that.

Best Regards,
BurnerHEAD

Matthew posted a "solution" for this, but unfortunately it never worked for me. GameJackal gets started but I see no tray icon. Try it out yourself.

It's also not a good idea to disable UAC for that.

I disagree. I also disagree that it's not Vista blocking the program. User Account Control is useless, and it's security checks are useless and often invalidated (made redundant) by security software anyway.

If you don't want to disable UAC (which is the most logical choice to me), then you can also do what's described here (Frank posted the link before): http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/06/dont_shut_off_v.html (but again, I disagree with the premise that UAC should not be disabled; I feel most people promoting that concept have no clue what they're writing about . . . but that's my opinion)

The Problem is GameJackal not Windows Vista, as Chris wrote me once, that I shouldn't be using Vista.

I have trouble believing that Chris Gonzales told you not to use Vista.:confused: I suspect that you are taking his comments out of context.

Last edited:
Well, Webslinger I certainly have to say that you have never looked closely at UAC and all its features. If you call me dumb for using UAC, I have to say that back to you. For people that know what they are doing, they can disable it, when they install some security software and take a huge administration effort. But for normal people, it has been proven to me, that it's the most important security feature in Vista, that allows us to work without admin rights and provide a secure zone.

I hate all these people talking only shit about Vista, that it's crap and has only a new interface and slow and annoying. These people have either never used Vista or are so dumb that they just can't handle it and shouldn't be allowed to use a computer. I don't offend you by that. You're not ment. But some of my colleague, who have a general abomination against Vista.

That solution will not work for Home Editions. Only for Business and Ultimate. I read that months before, but it's not a real solution. In another thread I posted a CMD file that doesn't exactly the same.

I have trouble believing that Chris Gonzales told you not to use Vista. I suspect that you are taking his comments out of context.
Well, he wrote in German in a support mail to me and talks badly about vista.
I can sent it to you if you can understand it.

As I already said, "blame" the developers for that UAC issue, as a lot of other programs can handle that easily. For me, I found a perfect solution to this.
I thought about coding it in C++, but I actually don't have the time and why should I do things and spent weeks on it that can be done by the developers in hours?

No offense,
BurnerHEAD

Well, Webslinger I certainly have to say that you have never looked closely at UAC and all its features.

I have. UAC is absolutely useless for me.

If you call me dumb for using UAC, I have to say that back to you.

I didn't call you "dumb".

For people that know what they are doing, they can disable it, when they install some security software and take a huge administration effort.

There's no "huge administration effort".

But for normal people, it has been proven to me, that it's the most important security feature in Vista, that allows us to work without admin rights and provide a secure zone.

If you want to use UAC, that's your choice. I see absolutely no advantage (to me, anyway) especially if one already has security software installed.

I hate all these people talking only shit about Vista, that it's crap and has only a new interface and slow and annoying.

I don't mind the interface. But it is slower than XP for gaming. On the other hand, I have no choice since I want to not be limited by ram size and also use DirectX 10. So, I do mostly use Vista 64 bit Ultimate SP1 for gaming.

I don't hate Vista. I just have no use for UAC. Also, the added DRM nonsense in Vista annoys me (but that's another conversation . . .)

Okay, to find an end to this issue, I have to that we have 2 different kind of users here that have their own opinion towards UAC and will never agree.

But, shutting off the UAC is just the easy way out to solve GameJackal issues and should NOT be the solution for new users, that will properly not understand the warning messages of any firewall.

So, I hope you have a better suggestions for solving his problem, than just turning off the UAC.

Best Regards,
BurnerHEAD

I do wish to add to this:

Vista has caused me tremendous problems. I used to have XP on this computer, and after I "upgraded", it is slow as crap, crashes very often, keeps losing internet connection randomly, sound drivers go hay-wire, and directX 10 runs significantly slower than directX 9. The DRM stuff annoys the heck out of me, too. Vista just added a prettier interface, supposedly better graphics (but actually run much less efficiently, better security (that viruses eat around still), and simplified control (which is actually just a way of saying "you have less control of your computer".

The world doesn't like vista for a reason, they aren't lying or just randomly following the crowd.

I am using the Windows 7 beta now, and while generally beta software from M$ is unusable, I can tell you that it is running way better than vista, and maybe then you will see people stop complaining.

But, shutting off the UAC is just the easy way out to solve GameJackal issues and should NOT be the solution for new users

Well, just to test, I enabled UAC, and Game Jackal still works for me, so unless you locked yourself out somehow by answering UAC questions incorrectly Game Jackal should still work. /shrug

I didn't say GameJackal is not working. I'd said that the autostart of GameJackal is not working, refering to the first post.

BurnerHEAD

I didn't say GameJackal is not working. I'd said that the autostart of GameJackal is not working, refering to the first post.

Oh

Well, I'm not going to bother enabling UAC again (which I don't like), rebooting (which I don't want to do right now), and setting GJ to load at startup (which is pointless for me) just to test this. Maybe I will later.

Well, I'm not going to bother enabling UAC again (which I don't like), rebooting (which I don't want to do right now), and setting GJ to load at startup (which is pointless for me) just to test this. Maybe I will later.

Okay, I'm glad that you finally got to know the ugliness of that issue.

If you try it out, and don't get a fix, than you're getting annoyed by everytime having to make 3 clicks on that autostart block program and your kids with limited users accounts are never able to use GameJackal, unless you give them the administrator password, which is certainly not a good idea.

So, to say in general:
The autostart of GameJackal is not working on any Vista with enabled UAC.

BurnerHEAD

Back