• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Windows Media Center - File/DVR converstion

epic4life

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and new to these products, but I am glad to have found great software with great capabilities. I bought these programs b/c I have a 500+ dvd collection (from my college days) and I wanted to back each one of them up on my storage servers.

I also have a ton of WMC recored movies. I was wondering if there was a way to ripp the movie file from WMC and turn them into MPEG or another format. If not, should I switch to another program that utilizes my tuner card that will allow me to rip into a MPEG format.

Thanks for your time

-EpiC

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and new to these products, but I am glad to have found great software with great capabilities. I bought these programs b/c I have a 500+ dvd collection (from my college days) and I wanted to back each one of them up on my storage servers.

I also have a ton of WMC recored movies. I was wondering if there was a way to ripp the movie file from WMC and turn them into MPEG or another format. If not, should I switch to another program that utilizes my tuner card that will allow me to rip into a MPEG format.

Thanks for your time

-EpiC

Use movie maker within Windows to convert back to mpeg format then all is well.

Hey Charlie, another question involving media center and movie maker.

In order to get the save as mpeg function on move maker, do you have to do some editiing to the file? Right now when I import the recorded DVR-MS files, It does not give me the option to save as anything but a movie maker file.

I didn't play around with this much b/c I had to go to bed, but I sure one of you guys with experience can guide me through with words so I don't have to waste my time.

Thanks again

-EpIC

Sorry I haven't used movie maker or nero to do what you want done. Maybe another person here with experiance on this can chime in. Be patient we have the best of people here.

No problem. That is why I went with this product line as oppose to another.

DVR-MS files have to be ripped somehow since they use WMP as a alternative to WMC to play the file. I have about 20 gigs of tapped movies, tv shows and sports games I want in mpeg format so I can edit and transport from computer to computer.

Hey Charlie, another question involving media center and movie maker.

In order to get the save as mpeg function on move maker, do you have to do some editiing to the file? Right now when I import the recorded DVR-MS files, It does not give me the option to save as anything but a movie maker file.

I didn't play around with this much b/c I had to go to bed, but I sure one of you guys with experience can guide me through with words so I don't have to waste my time.

Thanks again

-EpIC

Just drag the clip to the timeline and then select save movie file. I haven't used it for DVR-MS formats but many others and they have worked fine.

I did find the following on another forum so it would seem the source of the DVR-MS is important.
You can record and edit dvr-ms file by using a video enhancer to remove the macrovision sent over the cable. Do this by installing it between your cable box and your computer. when your computer records the movie it will not be protected. you can edit you commercials out with a free program called dvr-edit available though a search on the enternet. I heard that the sima2 is a good video-enhancer..once edited I would use dvdSanta to encode then use dvdshrink to turn into .Iso then use dvdcrypter to burn. I know it's sounds like a lot of work but it is a lot faster than using DVGATE by sony that came with my Vaio computer. The average time would be 12 min to edit with DVR-edit and save, 90min to encode using DvdSanta, 11 min using DvdShrink to ISO, and 8 min to burn using DvdCrypter. This is for an average 2:30 movie....The only movies I have run into that had Macrovision were movies From HBO, Stars, Max, and all of the other Pay Channels....They didn't need the commercials edited out because they didn't have any, but they will require being clipped at both ends, so you would only get the movie....The pay channels just started using Macrovision this year...Before then they were not protected...I think I'll get me one of those Sima2 myself.........HUM...

Last edited:
Back