• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Windows 10

Tried to find the w10 assistant, couldn't find it. Constantly got directed to w8.1 one

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

Tried to find the w10 assistant, couldn't find it. Constantly got directed to w8.1 one

There isn't one, a Win10 Upgrade Assistant, per MS support engineers on the MS Community website:

Is there a WINDOWS 10 Upgrade Assistant available?

Upgrading from Win 8/8.1 looks like a straight-across deal, upgrading from XP/Vista/7 there are some technical caveats:

As noted, there is no Upgrade Assistant for Windows 8.1, but most laptops that run Windows 8.1 should be Windows 10 compatible.

How will I know if my computer can run Windows 10?

Windows 10 system requirements are similar to Windows Vista and Windows 7 with some caveats:

1 GHz or faster processor
1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Your processor (CPU) must support the following extensions: SSE2, NX, PAE

Last edited:
Exactly what I thought, which is why I said to use 8.1 assistant

Exactly what I thought, which is why I said to use 8.1 assistant

For users upgrading from Vista/7 they need to use the 8.1 upgrade assistant.

If someone is upgrading from XP they need to use the 8.0 upgrade assistant, apparently.

Upgrade Assistant: FAQ

It's always a good idea to maintain a working image of the root drive using something like Macrium Reflect for boot level restores from an external drive:
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Otherwise it can be impossible to recover from unwanted O/S changes.

On applications written more than a few years ago, it's hit and miss depending on the complexity. Most engineering software usually doesn't survive. I still use a windows XP virtual machine to use an older AutoCAD. Works with 7.0 but probably doesn't work with 8.0 or above. Expect some hardware peripherals to stop working because Win10 won't recognize the drivers. MS does that every time they have a major uprev and is another way of generating billions of dollars in new hardware.

BTW, does anyone know if MS offers an XP VM for Win10?

Last edited:
Why bother with third party software. Both Win 7 and Win 8 include imaging software that works excellently. Whenever we send a system out we make an image for the customer so they can always image it back to how it was setup when it left us. It's free and takes around10-20 minutes to image back.

Why use any imaging procedure at all ?
Just create another partition in Windows disc management while your in W7 _ around 25 GB's is enough to play with.
When installing W10 go into the advanced mode during the installing and allow it to install on your new partition.
You'll create a dual boot machine where Windows will give you a choice to boot to either 7 or 10.

If you don't like it, boot back to W7 and simply delete the partition that W10 is on.

To each his own I guess... :)

Why bother with third party software. Both Win 7 and Win 8 include imaging software that works excellently. Whenever we send a system out we make an image for the customer so they can always image it back to how it was setup when it left us. It's free and takes around10-20 minutes to image back.

Not plugging MR here, but just found it to be more user friendly than trying to figure out the MS Windows methods. You are more seasoned with imagining drives than I am. MR free version worked for me when I recently had to replace a root SSD drive. Was not able to figure out how to do it (in a reasonable amount of research time) with the backup tools of the native MS Windows 8.1 Bing free version. MR worked right away :).

@Jeff_R1, that partition level duel boot thing is ok if you can spare the GB's but it doesn't protect against a complete loss of the hard drive.

Last edited:
@Jeff_R1, that partition level duel boot thing is ok if you can spare the GB's but it doesn't protect against a complete loss of the hard drive.
With me I have lots of drive space, I never keep my files of anything on my machine because of hard drive failures (the non SSD ones any way)
And no it doesn't protect a complete loss of hard drive, but I thought we were talking about an easy way to assess W10.
Creating an image of your old OS and allowing Windows utilize the whole drive to upgrade to W10 seems like allot of bother.
And the having to put the whole thing back using an image, however that image was created, takes a long time.

I agree with Adbear, the Windows imaging application is much easier to work with. I tried Macrium Reflect and found that there were way too many steps.
The Youtube tutorial makes it seem simple, but I found it took longer then simply using the method from with in Windows.
MR works well for XP and I dare say Vista, but only because those antiquated operating systems don't have there own back-up applications.

Roycal, once you get to know the back-up system from Windows, I am sure that you'll find MR quite a bit more work.
And I say this having used both applications or rather I tried using MR and gave up on it after realizing it was taking too long going through all it's steps.

Last edited:
Back