Windows 10 updating dvd firmware

Discussion in 'High Definition Hardware' started by tgp7777777, Feb 23, 2020.

1. tgp7777777

tgp7777777 Well-Known Member

I have a friendly uhd drive and I seem to remember at the time the discussion about windows deciding to update firmware wasn't a concern and so far it hasn't touched my drive. Been seeing a few articles that Microsoft are going to get more aggressive with their auto firmware updates. Anything to worry about? Any steps to take to prevent this? I'd hate to suddenly find Microsoft have updated my friendly firmware and prevented it from working in a friendly way.

2. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

It hasn't touched the drive because it can't. It's impossible

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

It certainly is possible. It hasn't touched the drive because of many other reasons.

RedFox 1 likes this.
  4. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

Care to share?
    No.

5. tgp7777777

tgp7777777 Well-Known Member

6. Ch3vr0n

Driver updates aren't the same thing as drive firmware. Those are 2 completely different things.

Drivers: software that tells windows how to interact with the specific piece of hardware (in this case for example an optical drive)

Firmware: A piece of software ON THE DRIVE ITSELF! that tells the drive which optical discs are supported, what speeds it can burn them...

Windows cannot update drive firmware (if James is right and it can for some reason), it never will.

First they'd have to figure out if a computer even has optical drives (care to guess how many there are in the world), then they'd have to figure out what specific model every drive is (complicated by the fact that certain models get a new version but same model name), then they'd have to figure out what firmware each drive is running.

Once they're done with all that they'd have to check if there is a newer firmware for every drive in the computer, and multiply that for every computer in the world. Then they'd have to push it, on top of that if they did it, THEY would be responsible if their pushed update breaks the drive or removed functionality the drive owner was using.

That will never happen.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  7. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator

To say that it's impossible is definitely wrong. It's very much possible for windows to update firmware on a device. They're not doing so right now but it most definitely can be done. And not just for drives, either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RedFox 1, eviltester and tgp7777777 like this.
  8. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

RedFox 1, eviltester and tgp7777777 like this.
  9. Ch3vr0n

Well I guess it is possible then, though I doubt they themselves will do it on their own, I assume among other reasons for the ones I posted in my previous post.

It's the product manufacturers themselves that would need to push this through windows.

10. Ch3vr0n

you need to read those images again, and the topic title. Your images are talking about device DRIVERS (how windows interacts with a device), NOT about drive FIRMWARE. Drivers arent the same thing as firmware.

11. Jeff53404

Jeff53404 Well-Known Member

I deleted my post - thanks for the correction.