• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Windows 10 Tech Preview

RedFox 1

Forum Admin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=84NI5fjTfpQ

The Windows 10 Technical Preview Will Be Available For Download Tomorrow

Windows 10 for desktop and laptop users

After the very poor response to Windows 8, and the bitter taste it left in the mouths of millions of users, Windows 10 is a very important release for Microsoft. On the one hand, it needs to rectify Windows 8′s wrongs and offer normal PC users a reason to upgrade from Windows XP or 7. On the other hand, Microsoft continues to lose ground in the mobile sector as well. Windows 10 will actually have to be the jack of all trades, rather than Windows 8′s rather ignominious status as the master of none. How will Microsoft do this? Well, let’s take a look.
The Start menu returns. After a few years of claiming that the Metro-style Start screen was just as good for mouse-and-keyboard use as touchscreen use, Microsoft has finally backed down. Windows 10 will have a Start menu on the Desktop; the left side will look a lot like the standard Windows 7 Start menu, but the right side will have the option of being populated with Metro-style live tiles. The left side of the menu will adopt a new Metro-like look, too — though you may be able to configure it to look like the good ol’ Windows 7 Start menu.

SOURCE Extreme TECH

So what happened to Windows 9? MS trying to dispel the "every other Win version stinks" curse?

probably to play with it all the "leakers" that said the final name was going to be windows 9. But whatever the reason may be, i will be following windows 10 closely. Now that the start menu will return, i may finally ditch my main OS vista and upgrade it. (yeah i know w7 exists too but for some software reasons i can't upgrade my vista) But it's too soon to tell. I'm lookin forward to the next news.

According to myce and another site i read w10 will sort of be an "adaptive" windows. Install it on a tablet like device > touch screen gets detected and auto activated, install it on a desktop / laptop and it will default to the normal desktop ui aka start menu etc...

http://www.myce.com/news/windows-9-will-be-called-windows-10-72883/

Myce.com has the jump on all the good news.

Well considering there won't be a windows 9 off course its free. It doesn't exist. Now whether W10 will also be free or a cheap upgrade, that's a different cookiejar

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Well considering there won't be a windows 9 off course its free. It doesn't exist. Now whether W10 will also be free or a cheap upgrade, that's a different cookiejar

They did not charge me a dime for an upgrade on my TechNet license so I would guss is that it will be very cheap for Windows 7 users that actually bought the OS, not the OEM OS that came with computers. Windows 8 and 8.1 should be the same cheap upgrade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=84NI5fjTfpQ

The Windows 10 Technical Preview Will Be Available For Download Tomorrow

Windows 10 for desktop and laptop users

After the very poor response to Windows 8, and the bitter taste it left in the mouths of millions of users, Windows 10 is a very important release for Microsoft. On the one hand, it needs to rectify Windows 8′s wrongs and offer normal PC users a reason to upgrade from Windows XP or 7. On the other hand, Microsoft continues to lose ground in the mobile sector as well. Windows 10 will actually have to be the jack of all trades, rather than Windows 8′s rather ignominious status as the master of none. How will Microsoft do this? Well, let’s take a look.
The Start menu returns. After a few years of claiming that the Metro-style Start screen was just as good for mouse-and-keyboard use as touchscreen use, Microsoft has finally backed down. Windows 10 will have a Start menu on the Desktop; the left side will look a lot like the standard Windows 7 Start menu, but the right side will have the option of being populated with Metro-style live tiles. The left side of the menu will adopt a new Metro-like look, too — though you may be able to configure it to look like the good ol’ Windows 7 Start menu.

SOURCE Extreme TECH

I strongly advise against running Windows 10. See here: http://www.techworm.net/2014/10/microsofts-windows-10-permission-watch-every-move.html

Holy crap, that's scary. That's screwup number 1 against me and its a big one. If they don't remove that by the RTM build W10 isn't going on my systems either like w8. Period, nobody but myself needs to know about my browsing habits, file history etc.

Holy crap, that's scary. That's screwup number 1 against me and its a big one. If they don't remove that by the RTM build W10 isn't going on my systems either like w8. Period, nobody but myself needs to know about my browsing habits, file history etc.

Absolutely, its outrageous, I don't know if they can do that in Europe, prob breaks HR.
Even if they cant do it, the fact that they think its OK to try is insulting.

Oh i'll be letting certain tech sites and privacy watchdogs I have contacts with know about that article. Pretty sure it's a direct violation of the EU privacy law.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC Sensation met Tapatalk

I am running it with VMware Workstation so I do not believe I have any issues. I have the internet blocked until I can see all the new features.

Hi :)
I am truly amazed how many seasoned PC users didn't read the acceptance blurb.

Your right of course but I for one am certainly Guilty of clicking the Accept/Agree etc without always reading.
I think its because it appears on most s/w and we are just used to doing it.

Is this Big Brother crap on a Free version of 10 or a paid for version do you or anybody know.

Nobody knows yet. W10TP is far from ready, but I do know that if they put that snooping in the retail version the EU will have a fieldday on Microsoft's ass for violating a user's privacy. Wouldn't be the first time and doubt it would be the last either.

According to the link it is on the free version, as to paid, there is at present no paid version, yet.

That's because the TP is a preview release, its the first public release for testing. Its not even remotely ready for release

Being a beta / test preview release, I can certainly understand how Microsoft would want to collect usage data on it. Usually, such data is anonymous, but not only does their privacy policy clearly state that it is not anonymous; they put a mother f*****g KEYLOGGER in. That's one of the most invasive privacy policies I've ever seen on official beta software.

Bullet points:

Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.

We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility” and “use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing.

If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of]it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you]enter text, we may collect typed characters, and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spell check features.

If you want to mess around with this preview release, for sure don't use your real name and DO NOT enter any of your passwords to websites and such on it.

Last edited:
Two points worth considering:

1. Skipping Windows 9 may have been due to primitive code checks in older software. For example, check out this code search:
https://searchcode.com/?q=if version,startswith windows+9 #3805512540505855442
Essentially, there could be a code condition that says "if version starts with 'Windows 9' then..." which would be an easy way to capture Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows 98 SE in one go.

2. The keylogging is likely due to this being a tech preview where Microsoft want to see how people use Windows after the debacle that was Windows 8. In other words are people using keyboard shortcuts to move around, are they clicking the mouse, are they using touch? The motivation is likely to survey how users actually use Windows now that they have been exposed to new ways (e.g. tiles). This is likely to backfire spectacularly from a PR perspective: if I had to pick exactly one reason why, it would be that when people type in passwords, Windows will phone home to Microsoft. Of course it might exempt UI elements that are masked, but who knows? I have not heard that the fine print exempts that.

Back