• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Windows 10 1809 update: Known issues

DrinkLyeAndDie

Retired Moderator
WCCF tech: Microsoft Blocks Windows 10 October 2018 Update on Devices with Intel 6th Gen and Newer Processors

Microsoft decided to begin the Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout process for the public yesterday, skipping the release for the Release Preview ring. The company offers a number of new features with its latest incremental update to Windows 10. However, as many had suspected, it doesn’t come without issues.

Microsoft has now confirmed at least one compatibility issue with a “range of Intel Display Audio device drivers” that could result in “excessive processor demand and reduced battery life.” The update to Windows 10 October 2018 Update will fail due to this issue.

The Redmond software maker added that it is blocking devices from being offered Windows 10 version 1809 until updated drivers are installed on your current OS.

Intel says the fix is already available to this Windows 10 1809 compatibility problem

Intel in its own advisory has recommended users with 6th Generation or newer processors to simply confirm that Intel Graphics Driver version 24.20.100.6286 or newer is installed on their computers before they install Windows 10 October 2018 Update. The chipmaker said that a fix is already included in Intel Display Audio Driver version 10.25.0.10, which is bundled with 24.20.100.6286.

I updated 2 computers yesterday and had no such issue, but that doesnt mean it didnt happen for others LOL

I updated 2 computers yesterday and had no such issue, but that doesnt mean it didnt happen for others LOL
The driver that is required was actually released on August 29. Not to confused with the driver update released on October 1st. That said, it's possible that they made a mistake in the article or some other anomaly.

I've got macrium reflect to do a weekly backup of the entire C drive every sunday at 2 am, so even if that happens i can max lose a weeks worth. Though i probably won't let it even download until a saturday or sunday. (got updates postponed via GPE). That way i've got full control on what gets installed and when

Here's something just as "bad"

https://www.myce.com/news/serious-b...8-update-wipes-entire-documents-folder-85200/

lose your entire \documents folder ^^. Make sure you have a backup before you update :)

https://www.myce.com/news/serious-b...8-update-wipes-entire-documents-folder-85200/

lose your entire \documents folder ^^. Make sure you have a backup before you update :)
The My Document folder would be in the Windows.old folder if it did get erased.

Nope, not according to the Reddit topics linked in the myce post. It's completely replaced with a clean copy or permanently deleted. Users checked Windows.old nothing was there

It's just a problem(potentially) with the Documents folder only and not any of the other Libraries? I just copied my Documents folder over to a network location just in case, I haven't received or forced the update yet.

Neowin has an editorial article discussing both issues plus a Task Manager bug.

Neowin: Windows 10 October 2018 Update issues highlight flaws in Microsoft's "seeker" deployment

Once again, Microsoft decided that anyone checking for updates is seeking out the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, and it seems to once again be backfiring. There's a Task Manager bug that was known since the build shipped to the Fast ring, and there's a compatibility issue with an Intel driver that's preventing the update from being installed.

Today though, an even more serious bug was reported by users on Reddit. People are finding that upon upgrading to Windows 10 version 1809, their documents and other personal files are going missing.

The one safeguard that the company has in place is powered by AI. For example, there's an Intel driver that's preventing the update from being installed, so Microsoft's telemetry should see this and Windows Update should automatically stop offering the October 2018 Update to those users. If the company finds that the missing files are directly related to a certain PC characteristic, those users should stop seeing it as well.

Last edited:
It's just a problem(potentially) with the Documents folder only and not any of the other Libraries? I just copied my Documents folder over to a network location just in case, I haven't received or forced the update yet.
Read the Reddit topics, I believe some say it's NOT confined to just the documents folder

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

The upgrade didn't wipe my documents folder on the PC I finished up-dating, one is currently being updated with a third pending, but if it had I do a daily mirror image of the boot hard-drive(s) so restoring back to before I manually applied the update is easy.

The only bad thing about my back-up schemes and the software I use it creates additional backup sets when there is a major update to Windows like this one.

Ain't PCs grand? It's almost as if they are the masters and we are the slaves. ;)

I've re-titled the thread. It's now inclusive of all issues for the Windows 10 1809 update.

I updated my Acer laptop to Build 1809

My documents were no longer in their prior location

I found them at the below location!

Acer/Users/*****/Documents

Update: Now my documents are available at their original location. When I checked right after updating to 1809 my documents folder showed as empty.

Last edited:
Even Forbes is posting articles about the 1809 update:

Forbes: Avoid Windows 10 October Update Until You Do One Thing

The lost Documents folder issue is discussed and Task Manager bug. No mention of the Intel audio driver, however. There was also mention of an NVIDIA driver problem.

Aside from the looming threat of losing valuable data, I also spotted PC World editor Brad Chacos explaining some minor visual issues following the Windows 10 October update when combined with Nvidia's latest GeForce driver:

Windows 10 Oct. Update + Nvidia's driver is causing some weird display performance on my PC. Opening a new tab & quickly typing in the URL bar makes a stream on my 2nd monitor lag. Same if I try using my mouse scroll wheel on some sites. Occasional weirdness resizing windows too.

— Brad Chacos (@BradChacos) October 4, 2018

The latest driver? Which driver? That leaves me wondering if this is occurring with the 416.16 drivers given they were released on October 4th or the previous drivers. Given the date of the tweet I really don't know for sure. The 416.16 drivers do directly address 1809 compatibility as per the release notes.

I edited post #15 as I found all my documents

I found them at the below location!

Acer/Users/*****/Documents

Update: Now my documents are available at their original location. When I checked right after updating to 1809 my documents folder showed as empty.

Last edited:
I did 2 updates on different desktops and everything was transferred. Its probably specific manufacturers issue.

well its a big enough issue for M$ to pull the plug on the outrol and possibly needing to build a new RTM

Back