• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Win 7 Ult x64 - Can't access mounted images

SpongeBob

Hello everybody, this is my first post and I'll try to be as specific as possible without much redundancy, and try to do it right. I spent reasonable time trying to search the forums and just a couple of threads where similar without real solution for my problem. Here's the deal:

As the title of the thread suggests, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and just installed VCD 5.4.3.5.
I don't have Nero, or DT or any other virtual drive soft installed atm. I have a Plextor PX-880SA and Roxio Creator 10 CE which came with the drive.
I enabled Buffered I/O and Virtual Sheep and I can see both the virtual drive with the sheep icon and my physical plextor drive with normal icon on the windows explorer. If Virtual sheep isn't enabled I see a nifty BD-ROM icon and label.

I've assigned letter V to the virtual drive and I can right click it in the explorer and it shows all the options, mount, clear history etc. Also all the files are correctly associated and furthermore, I can right click the files and choose "Open with" and select "Mount files with Virtual Clone drive", or the option "Mount (Virtual CloneDrive V: )".

After mounting any ISO file (I tried games, movies, software, etc) however, I experience the following symptoms:

1. With Virtual Sheep disabled my BD-ROM icon turns into a DVD-ROM icon, but the label still says "BD-ROM Drive V:" With Virtual Sheep enabled, you can't notice this change, because the label remains the same as well as the sheep icon.

2. When I right click the virtual drive in win explorer it appears to have mounted the file and displays the option VCD (path\filename)> unmount

3. Windows does not autoplay it, and if I double click it, it says "Please insert a disc into BD-ROM Drive (V: )". Same message if I right click it and choose "Open", "Open in new window" or "Open AutoPlay...". Also the message repeats if I try to use WMP or other software trying to access drive (V: ).

After unmounting the icon changes back to BD-ROM with Virtual Sheep disabled, and if enabled you don't see a change. Can't acces the images after apparently mounting them.

Some additional information I noticed while trying to solve this issue I think is worth mentioning. While in "Administrative Tools" > "Computer Management", if I have a file mounted, windows displays its file system as "RAW" instead of NTFS or Fat, and its Capacity as 4.36GB and free space as 4.36GB aswell. Very intriguing.
If I go to Device Manager, under Storage Controllers, and see the Virtual CloneDrive properties, it says this device is working properly in the general tab. Drivers tab shows Elaborate Byte's drivers, but the resources tabs says "This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem".
And lastly in the windows explorer if I check the virtual drive's properties, under the Hardware tab and choose ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device and then properties and check the drivers, those are Microsoft's drivers.

That's pretty much what I've notice so far, I do not get Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer crashes, or any BSOD and I've had absolutely no conflicts or problems whatsoever other than not being able to access the mounted images. If this issue has been resolved, I would deeply appreciate the link to that thread. And if not, Any little bit of help will be very very much appreciated, since I rely on VCD for all my virtual driver needs and I have no problems mounting the same images on my other computer running Win XP 32-bit SP3, only on this newly built machine.

I apologize for the lenghty post and also thank you beforehand.

Last edited:
I am a bit confused how you can have VCD 5.4.3.5 as the latest one I can download is 5.4.3.2.

Also, I will try on my Windows 7 x64 bit if you want. And report back if I have the same problems. That way, you know if the problem is only with your system/setup, or a general problem perhaps.

Can you evade on the version 5.4.3.2 vs 5.4.3.5 ?

5.4.3.5 is at the top of this forum.
I've no issues with VCD under Win 7 64, sounds like something is messed up on your system

Last edited:
I am a bit confused how you can have VCD 5.4.3.5 as the latest one I can download is 5.4.3.2.

Also, I will try on my Windows 7 x64 bit if you want. And report back if I have the same problems. That way, you know if the problem is only with your system/setup, or a general problem perhaps.

Can you evade on the version 5.4.3.2 vs 5.4.3.5 ?

5.4.3.2 is the "latest" official release (not officially in a testing stage) available to download from the main site.

5.4.3.5 is the "latest" beta (prototype if you will) version, still considered in a testing phase. It includes minor changes such as new features or options, but mostly for troubleshooting bugs and issues. This beta version is made available in this forum. The "latest" available beta is usually made sticky. All of these courtesy of our good friends SlySoft Development Team, with help from Moderators, Senior Members and this community in general. Also from people like me, who provide the problems they'll very kindly try to fix. ;)

As for your offer, it could indeed help in a lot of ways; and although knowing that if you experience the same problem, it's no guarantee that it's caused by the same issues/setup, it would still provide valuable insight into the matter. Therefore, I'd appreciate your help and I'd be looking forward to your findings.

As an additional note, I forgot to mention in the original post that I have no other Slysoft software such as AnyDVD or CloneDVD installed yet on this machine. This is a new built and I just got all the parts shipped to me a couple of days ago and just yesterday finished building it. I have them installed, however, on my other machine, running XP SP3. If you think it would make any difference, or at least I'll be better off installing any of them, I'd do so. Similarly, if further details about my rig are important, I'd also provide them.

Last edited:
5.4.3.5 is at the top of this forum.
I've no issues with VCD under Win 7 64, sounds like something is messed up on your system

You are right, unfortunately something probably is messed up, and I'm trying to figure out what that could be.

Last edited:
Alright, I downloaded the beta version.
And I'm sorry for you, because it must be something on your system. All works fine on my pc, with or without sheep enabled.
It's actualy quite nice to be able to mount a BD image from right clicking the image file.
Well done SlySoft!
I hope you get it working!

Good news!

@Squawk:
Thanks for your help man. Actually, your results and the fact that the great majority of users have no issues with this exquisite piece of software, encouraged me to find a solution to a problem that I pretty much believed was to some extent specific to my system. I'm glad to hear you have no issues and everything works fine for you.

The good news are that after realizing this issue was somewhat particular to my case, I trial and error with specific software that I tought could be conflicting with VCD, and it wasn't too hard to do, because I didn't have too much programs installed in the first place. Also, we shouldn't just rely completely on the good will of our peers in this community, but additionally try on our own aswell. And so I did.

The findings? Well, for anybody and everybody out there who may experience similar symptoms, may this specific solution help them figure out what's their own issue. Let's just say that after experimenting with firewall settings, antivirus, permissions and registry, I managed to narrow it down to a software bundled with my physical drive, which if you haven't read my first post, it happens to be a Plextor Drive, specifically the PX-880SA model. The software in question is...wait for it...wait for it... "PlexUtilities" (PlexTools' successor), and for some reason it can not coexist with VCD. Simple exiting PlexUtilities from the system tray will allow VCD to work flawlessly and as intended. Alternatively, you can permanently prevent PlexUtilities from running at startup by disabling it from your msconfig startup settings.

In the meantime, I'd live with alternating between VCD and PlexUtilities however I need them; that is, until someone figures out a way to make these two finally get along.

Cheers!! :rock:

Last edited:
Cant access mounted image.

My problem is very similar to Spongebob.Okay so I used daemon tools lite(latest version) to mount an iso I downloaded. When i tried to access the mounted image i got an error saying "Windows cant access this disk. The disk might be corrupt. Make sure the disk uses a format that windows recognizes. If the disk is unformatted you need to format it before using it." Well any suggestions? Im using windows 7. I tried virtual clone drive and the same thing happened. I checked device manager and all the devices were working properly. Daemon tools had the right settings. So is the iso bad or something? Any help would be appreciated.

@Hillit: Do not hijack other peoples threads, although your problem MIGHT have similarities it is NOT the same problem. Please create your own thread. Also Deamon Tools is known to cause problems, especially with the SPTD filter it installs. Uninstall Deamon, use IMGBurn to remove the filter then try VCD again.

Back