• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Will this bluray burner b ok?

Johno75

Hi,

Want to get a bluray burner soon to use with slyce when it's released.

I have a laptop with a bluray reader (not burner) and have a popcorn hour c200 media player and a ps3 so thinking a USB bluray burner might be the go.

Has anyone had any experience with this one from lg?

http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8542

Will it be ok for my uses?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Johno

It works fine, but I didn't think they made it anymore

If you can get the LG GGW-H20L it burns Blu-ray and rips HD-DVD's discs too It's a desktop one but since you are looking for external one you can make it external, Little bit bigger but you have an extra feature which is reading HD-DVD's they are cheap on ebay if you plan to collect a bunch of HD-DVD's. I have mine as external but without the enclosure I just bought a 12v power adapter and eSATA to USB cable, I've backed up so many blu-rays and ripped a lot of HD-DVD's and still going well.

Last edited:
That ggw-h20L is no longer in production. That drive is atleast 5 years old. Bd and hd-dvd combo drives haven't been built anymore since bd won the "format war"

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e met Tapatalk

Yes it has been discontinued because of the HD-DVD but still selling online and yes it's few years old but faster than my laptop built in Blu-ray burner that I bought 6 months ago, When you make a decision you have to look at the specification, features and price, discontinued or not is not a problem.

Then they must have put a crappy burner in your laptop if it's slower than the GGW-H20L. I've been installing 6 speed laptop writers for about a year now if not longer and the current round will also write BD-XL discs too. Makes no sense in buying the GGW-H20L. If you're going to buy a full size drive and put it in an external box then you might as well buy a new drive that has official warranty on it and that can handle newer disc formats such as LTH and BD-XL.
Also with the exception of a few films you can get all the old HD DVD's on Blu-ray now and pick them up dirt cheap second hand so I see no point in buying HD DVD's

Then they must have put a crappy burner in your laptop if it's slower than the GGW-H20L. I've been installing 6 speed laptop writers for about a year now if not longer and the current round will also write BD-XL discs too. Makes no sense in buying the GGW-H20L. If you're going to buy a full size drive and put it in an external box then you might as well buy a new drive that has official warranty on it and that can handle newer disc formats such as LTH and BD-XL.
Also with the exception of a few films you can get all the old HD DVD's on Blu-ray now and pick them up dirt cheap second hand so I see no point in buying HD DVD's

Unless you are going to fork $$$$ on expensive blank media such as sony, The fastet discs that I ever bought were 4X TDK $3/50GB still doesn't justify buying expensive blu-ray burner, like buying a car that goes 200 miles/hr where the speed limit is 65.

Who said he was only wanting to burn DL discs? Single layer discs are much cheaper for 6 speed and also why buy an old out of date writer that has no official warranty which you then have to buy a separate power supply for when you can buy a cheap new slimline one that powers through USB

Last edited:
Back