• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Will AnyDVD HD be able to encrypt UHD Blu-Rays in the Future?

I am decidedly NOT Joe Public viewer, yet I still do all of my purchases of video titles on DVD.

Old TV shows, my main purchases, do not get better with Bluray compared to DVD.

Others may and will disagree. That is their opinion.

Good discussion.

The biggest unanswered question is will Joe Public accept another physical format? Many factors are involved such as TV manufacturers, studios, pressing facilities, speed of transition, cost etc. IMO it's too early to declare UHD a either flop or DOA or both.

I feel confident in calling it a niche market at best.
That said, free PR comes from breaking it first - reason enough to look at it closely.
-W

Just aquired a 65 inch sony xbr-850c 4k uhd tv. Oh man night and day difference comparied to my sony kdl 70 r550a. The colors pop on the xbr tricolor and it now supports hdr :) thanks to sonys firmware update. 4k material looks jaw dropping on a 3 grand tv. Im in htpc heaven. I won the panel lottery. 0 grey uninformity and 0 banding. My pc now transmitts 10 bit. Oh yah...Upscaling is perfect. So ill be checking in to see if james figures out uhd protections. I do know if requires a call in feature for aurothrized key every 30 days. Ill be the first to buy uhd protection remover any day. Get to work redfox. Our money awaits you.....lol

To the original question, the answer is most likely going to be "hopefully but probably not for some time, if ever.". Aside from the technical challenges, as mentioned, UHD BR will be a relatively small niche and a smaller niche of those buyers will want to have computer software to play it back and a smaller portion of that will be willing to pay for decryption software. So there is will be the question of incentive for any business to try to do so. The lack of PC playback software options also means few opportunities to find holes like the one with TotalMedia Theater that allowed to decrypt and encode DTS MA as FLAC.
To the bigger problem of the technical challenge:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...y-discs-probably-wont-be-cracked-for-a-while/

You must take notice of the evidence. If as you say Joe public is interested in HD and beyond, why, even after all these years is blu ray only at 15% and falling against DVD.
You must not have read the rest of my comments. Its all about play-ability. People don't want to buy Blu rays that will not play in their Blu ray players.

Don't understand what you mean, are you talking about player updates.

If you are then I have only once updated my BD Standalone, it is not connected to Internet normally.

You would HAVE to have the player connected to the internet to play a lot of 4K disks, this is because you need permission to play your paid for and owned 4K disks (some of them) bloody cheek.

Redfox welcome back and thank you for all the wonderful years of faithful undying service. If I were you I would not even concern myself or bother with UHD, it may look nicer but just a waste. I had Betamax, Vhs, LaserDisc, Dvd, Blu-Ray and now UHD ? Forget it this is where I get off Blu-Ray is good enough for me, anything more than that is just over kill, and besides your eyes see no better than 720 they can't even see 1080p, yet alone 4k, 6k, 8k, 10k, 12k and so on. If you don't believe me google it and find out for yourself. The next thing will be eye implants so you can see all this stuff the way it was meant to be seen.

I believe that there is a lot larger percentage of Joe Public that cares about quality than you think. A bigger problem is reliability. If you purchase a DVD it works in your player, simple but important. With Blue ray if it will play depends on the encryption on the disk and how new your player is. I recently purchased 2 Blu ray disks and my player and my computer drive will not even recognize a disk present. Sure I can go to the hassle of Going online and see if there is an update for my player, but since it is over 2 years old there probably will not be any more support from the manufacturer for updates.

While I enjoy good quality video, I will support quality play-ability. I will not be buying any more Blu ray or any other format disks until the powers that be settle out on encryption codes and I don't have to constantly buy new players every time the disk producers employ a new encryption. Those non-playable Blu ray disks are going to sit on my shelf as a constant reminder to me.

Some of you may be too young to remember the death of VHS. While the improved quality of DVD was great. What drove the rapid transition was that many VHS tapes had such heavy encryption the play-ability was really bad. This drove people to DVD in droves.

While I have had some play-ability issues with DVD's, with AnyDVD I can remove the encryption and play it through my home theater set up. As I have not had a situation where the player refused to recognize a video disk present this has worked very well for me. I enjoy the higher quality video of Blu ray and bought the equipment for it, but there are other factors that are weighed into what kind of disks I will be purchasing in the future.

I think that you are a little off with the death of VHS (and BETA) tapes. What really caused their death was the point that the tapes themselves could be ripped or damaged and you were out of luck. Another point was that you had to "REWIND" the tapes to watch it again.

It just like the audio cassette tapes that went to CDs.

IMHO, vinyl records are not better quality than CDs because vinyl can be scratched, dust build up on the needle, and the true sound is not as good as a CD. Also, over time vinyl can and will degrade over a short time compared to CDs. Mind you, you can take very good care of vinyl and they could last a while, but the same goes for CDs.

I'm not trying to start a debate, but when the technology gets better, sound and video also becomes better. I'm still waiting for TRUE 3D movies without wear glasses. It would almost be like being able to walk right into the screen. I don't want to be wearing technology to enjoy better quality. Then again, this is just my opinion.
:cool:

and besides your eyes see no better than 720 they can't even see 1080p, yet alone 4k, 6k, 8k, 10k, 12k and so on. If you don't believe me google it and find out for yourself.
Then you and the guy on Google needs glasses or a bigger display, what size are you running, 40 inches ? :rolleyes:
The difference between 720 and 1080p is night and day.

I sit about 2 3 seater couches away from my uhd TV and its night and day on 65 inch screen. I've read these articles on 1080p and 4k. They are all wrong because I own a 4k TV. Also 3d is amazing on a uhd TV.

While I've started purchasing UHD Blus, I haven't got a UHDTV or player yet. The one title I've bought (Deadpool) also came with a Blu-Ray, which I'm using until I have UHD hardware. I'm waiting mainly until televisions that support HDR and/or Dolby Vision and their increased colour gamut begin trickling out. IMO, that wider gamut will have a far bigger impact on image quality than the increased pixel count (especially on moderately-sized televisions where the increase in number of pixels isn't as noticeable at normal viewing distances). Ideally I could wait until TVs that cover an appreciable percentage of Rec.2020 show up, but in the end I'll probably settle for one with 97%+ DCI-P3.

I am decidedly NOT Joe Public viewer, yet I still do all of my purchases of video titles on DVD.

Old TV shows, my main purchases, do not get better with Bluray compared to DVD.

Others may and will disagree. That is their opinion.

There are some exceptions to that. Batman '66, Star Trek TOS and TNG, Lost In Space and all been released and look amazing on Blu-Ray. Any old show that was shot on 35mm could benefit, it's just a matter of how much work and money a studio is willing to put into it; particuarly for those shows that contain a lot of effects shots (and whether those effects shots also exist on film, or only low-res videotapes à la ST:TNG). A lot of retro (70s and earlier) shows could potentially benefit, but probably not a lot of 80s/90s series as many were shot (or composited, at least) on god-awful videotape and the final edited episodes now only exist in that form.

Last edited:
There will always be "purists" reaching for meaningless minutia, i.e. ultimate "picture quality" or "sound fidelity". I was one of them. I remember when I was a broadcast engineer being gaga over a real microwave network feed on an NTSC studio monitor. That was long before an entire generation grew up with a perfect HD picture all the time. Now the only ghosts on TV are being hunted with infrared cameras. Of course I'm in my 60s, my hearing is going, and I wear glasses. Sitting in my recliner at 15 feet or so from my 60" screen, the difference UHD would make is no big deal. I still enjoy watching my up-scaled DVDs too. The technology is closing in on the limits of human perception, and HD is good enough for me.

A national magazine recently ran an article that 47% of Americans couldn't come up with $400 for an emergency expense. I don't think they will be buying UHD tech any time soon. Yet I remain fully behind the idea that people with too much money should have something to spend it on. Can a 360 degree zenith-to-nadir sub-retina-resolution media room be far away? Maybe some billionaires have them already.

As for AnyDVD HD, at this time I have no intention of buying another lifetime license. It was valuable and I got my use out of it, but I have realized I was simply acting like a hoarder and will probably never watch 10% of my vast ripped movie collection ever again. If I decide to, well I have the original discs, or I can stream just about anything I might want.

Of course that's just me, and I wish Red Fox and crew much future success.

Most of you hit the nail on the head. I have adopted the 4K hardware. However, what most do not know is the 4K standard uses HDCP2.2 and enforces it. That means everything in the connection stream has to be HDCP2.2 compliant. I learned that the hard way when I purchased Deadpool in 4K. My TV had one port that could do 2.2, the blu-ray player I had could not. The Blu-ray player stated it could do 4K and upscale, but could not do HDCP2.2. I was left with no choice but to buy another blu-ray player that could support it. Than I had to find HDMI cables to support HDCP2.2, and let me tell you, there are not many out there. I started with getting the message, your media does not support HDCP 2.2 and your movie will be played back in 1080P. Once I upgraded everything i needed to upgrade, i could finally play Deadpool. I am not sure it was worth the extra 400$ it cost to get the cables and Blu-ray player for it. While I can see a difference in the picture and color quality, it is not worth the extra money. Just my .2 Cents

Most of you hit the nail on the head. I have adopted the 4K hardware. However, what most do not know is the 4K standard uses HDCP2.2 and enforces it. That means everything in the connection stream has to be HDCP2.2 compliant. I learned that the hard way when I purchased Deadpool in 4K. My TV had one port that could do 2.2, the blu-ray player I had could not. The Blu-ray player stated it could do 4K and upscale, but could not do HDCP2.2. I was left with no choice but to buy another blu-ray player that could support it. Than I had to find HDMI cables to support HDCP2.2, and let me tell you, there are not many out there. I started with getting the message, your media does not support HDCP 2.2 and your movie will be played back in 1080P. Once I upgraded everything i needed to upgrade, i could finally play Deadpool. I am not sure it was worth the extra 400$ it cost to get the cables and Blu-ray player for it. While I can see a difference in the picture and color quality, it is not worth the extra money. Just my .2 Cents
Yea I've seen those falsely advertised players they say they are 4k player but are not a 4k disc player but a Blu-ray disc player with 4k upconvertion only .

It is someting about the whole copy protection regime I find... ironic in loss of a better word.

I've read through this thread and I think the numbers notet here are quite accurate, so...
The number one media for movies are DVD which has 4 out of 5 sold discs. I am pretty sure anyone would agree that most people find the SD of DVD sufficiant as their priority is the content rather than pixels. As everyone know, copy protection of DVD is next to none and can be played with almost any mediaplayer available for download. So why do they still release movies on DVDs? :unsure:
I do not have any numbers on how many of pirated copys are DVDs vs BDs, but that wouldn't actually matter if you look at the statistics, 'cause it's the content that matters. If the companies like to decrease the amount of piracy and increase income I think maybe the first thing they should do is to stop releasing movies on DVDs. The cost of a BD player today is quite low, so it wouldn't have a huge impact on the general consumer. Releasing movies on 3 different medias will not bring any good to the future of physical media.
Next step would be to force all companies selling BD players to implement the ability to play UHDBDs. The player itself doesn't need to be able to send the complete list of improvements from regular BD to UHDBD through the HDMI, but downscale to keep cost down. Voilá and we have one media (y) This will of course not happen, but it would be the correct way forward.

I'll explain why I find it "Ironic" if you didn't get what I'm trying to say here (my native is not english).

As the copy protection of DVDs are not there, the copy protection of BD is quite difficult to bypass and the UHDBD is not broken yet, they should at least try to take advantage of the situation and make the transition.

As a sidenote (also on the very naive side of things). Software like AnyDVD/CloneBD should be released by the BD consortium, and then tag the lisens number of the application into every iso/file made with it. This way they could track down whoever shared a movie. Then we would be rid of those bastards who are the reason why we have to deal with copy protection in the first place. :)

It is someting about the whole copy protection regime I find... ironic in loss of a better word.

The number one media for movies are DVD which has 4 out of 5 sold discs. ... So why do they still release movies on DVDs? :unsure:

Next step would be to force all companies ... to implement the ability to play UHDBDs. ... it would be the correct way forward.

Software like AnyDVD/CloneBD should be released by the BD consortium, and then tag the lisens number of the application into every iso/file made with it. This way they could track down whoever shared a movie. Then we would be rid of those bastards who are the reason why we have to deal with copy protection in the first place. :)

Uh, no.

Any HDMI cable can use HDCP 2.2 , as long there's no joins or splicing .
I hope Redfox will decrypt HDCP 2.2, cos my Denon receiver can't do HDCP 2.2

Anydvd doesn't decrypt any type of hdcp, it removes the 'flag' for the system to require it. That's not what this topic is about. You're confusing HDCP (cable connection handshake), with AACS 2.0 (encryption used on uhd discs). 2 completely different things.

Back