• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Will AnyDVD HD be able to encrypt UHD Blu-Rays in the Future?

Sthomp001

Will AnyDVD HD be able to encrypt UHD Blu-Rays in the Future? I'm more interested in that format now as I am sure more members will be eventually with the better resolution and HDR. 4k discs have been out for the last few months and now that my lifetime license is not good anymore, which is a joke by the way, I see no need to purchase a new license if RedFox doesn't support UHD discs. Maybe a Redfox representative can chime in on this topic.

a RedFox rep has already "chimed" in as you call it. James stated a while ago, that he will look into UHD support. NOTE the wording, i said look into. This can go both ways, positive and negative. The thing with UHD is that it requires AACS 2.0, and with the lack of documentation on it the entire protection needs to be reverse engineered and doing that isn't going to be easy. It can take months, or it may never happen. It all depends on how strong the protection mechanism is and if some documentation eventually surfaces. Until support is added, i'd advise to stick with normal bluray.

Most UHD discs also include a standard Blu-Ray in the package, so you can decide whether UHD is worth the gamble (about $10 extra it seems) without losing current HD flexibility.

I think we can just cross our fingers and hope for the best, But as long as AnyDVDHD can keep nailing the Latest BluRay movies then we should be happy.

I sincerely hope they try. I already have a Samsung UHD TV and would really love to start watching movies in that format. Was thinking about getting a standalone player but it would be hard to give up all the convenience that goes with using a HTPC. Of course the playback/decoding and HDR passthrough would also have to be figured out on PC as well.

I sincerely hope they try. I already have a Samsung UHD TV and would really love to start watching movies in that format. Was thinking about getting a standalone player but it would be hard to give up all the convenience that goes with using a HTPC. Of course the playback/decoding and HDR passthrough would also have to be figured out on PC as well.
I purchased a Samsung Ultra BD player to go with my Samsung UHD TV. AWESOME picture. I
I decided to go ahead a purchase a Samsung Ultra BD player. The Revenant in 4K has the best picture I have ever seen in my home. I still plan to support anyDVDHD but right now, the big companies are winning. I hate this but it is what it is. I'll support anyDVDHD because without that support, who's going to change the situation? My preference would be to use my HTPC. Most of what motivated the purchase of the Ultra HD player was that because there are so few titles, Ultra HD TVs aren't the main stream, and the how tough the encryption may be to break, I think I will spend years wasting the ability of my TV.

4k Bluray has become mainstream. I was in my local Walmart yesterday and they just put up a fairly large display of all the available 4k blurays, probably 25-30 titles. I was surprised as I thought it would take a few more months before Walmart adopted it for instore sales. I was also in Target yesterday and they had the Revenant 4k bluray. That was the only title I could find in 4k.

mainstream? Hardly, if it was there wouldn't be a couple dozen titles but hundres. 4K (and 4k hardware) isn't nearly as adopted as bluray is

I purchased a Samsung Ultra BD player to go with my Samsung UHD TV. AWESOME picture. I
I decided to go ahead a purchase a Samsung Ultra BD player. The Revenant in 4K has the best picture I have ever seen in my home. I still plan to support anyDVDHD but right now, the big companies are winning. I hate this but it is what it is. I'll support anyDVDHD because without that support, who's going to change the situation? My preference would be to use my HTPC. Most of what motivated the purchase of the Ultra HD player was that because there are so few titles, Ultra HD TVs aren't the main stream, and the how tough the encryption may be to break, I think I will spend years wasting the ability of my TV.
I think I might get one when there's a major price drop or more player options, as I would also have to get a new headphone amp with optical input. And right now the only movies I'm really interested in are The Martian and The Revenant, but Ghostbusters, Labyrinth and Independence Day will be released before long.

Of course it's not as big as Blu-ray, UHD BD has only been out for a couple of months, but it seems to be moving forward at a surprisingly good pace considering all the streaming options available. Blu-ray struggled so I was afraid UHD would fail miserably from the get-go, but it seems to have a genuine fighting chance. And personally I don't really care if it doesn't take over the physical market completely, all I want is for it to survive so I won't have to deal with over-compressed low-bitrate garbage streams.

And in terms of hardware we're way past the point where pretty much the only 1080p TVs released are el cheapo sets for the kitchen.

As Chevron said "hardly mainstream".

How long has blu ray been out, market is still 85% DVD, 15% blu ray.

You have to understand, people you see on here are NOT Joe public.

Joe public are apathetic re definition and audio.

I may be wrong but I really don't think the market will adopt yet another disk format.

...and just when you thought, "how could there be a better 4K TV format"....Samsung introduces SUPER UHD >>> "SUHD" at the 2016 CES Show in Vegas...which adds Quantum Dot Color & High Dynamic Range (HDR 1000) capabilities...
Seems like 87 euro for a new ANYDvD HD license is small change, when early adoption to new technologies costs dearly..

Last edited:
Suhd falls under the standard uhd header. It's just visual color improvement.

How long has blu ray been out, market is still 85% DVD, 15% blu ray.
Blu-ray sales are shocking.

In the UK, DVD sales where 41.3 million in 2001, peaking in 2010 with 210.1 million sales. In 2014, sales were 124.9 million.
Between the Blu-ray launch in 2007 and 2014, sales peaked at just 18.8 million before dipping to 17.3 in 2014.
(Source: https://www.avforums.com/threads/dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-statistics.2004986/)

Going by the Blu-ray statistics, I predict UHD will be a total flop. Sales will be even worse than Blu-ray.
UHD will die. It can be buried next to HD DVD.

Last edited:
Blu-ray sales are shocking.

In the UK, DVD sales where 41.3 million in 2001, peaking in 2010 with 210.1 million sales. In 2014, sales were 124.9 million.
Between the Blu-ray launch in 2007 and 2014, sales peaked at just 18.8 million before dipping to 17.3 in 2014.
(Source: https://www.avforums.com/threads/dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-statistics.2004986/)
I think DVD sales were immense partly because there was zero competition which made it ubiquitous, and partly because you could put anything you wanted on there; fast, easy and cheap. Crappy soap from the mid-'90s you happened to have digitized tapes of? Just shovel that garbage onto discs and onto store shelves. The market was completely flooded from every direction and people hoarded cheap discs and box sets they never watched once.

Of course the requirements of Blu-ray and entrenched position of DVD would prevent any kind of similar adoption but looking at some of these number I don't think things are that dire:

In its first week of sales in the US 83% of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens discs were Blu-ray, and these were the five top-selling discs in the US for the last week, with the percentage of those being Blu-ray:
  1. Deadpool (71%)
  2. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (64%)
  3. The 5th Wave (39%)
  4. The Revenant (47%)
  5. The Boy (37%)
So yeah, DVD-level of sales will never happen again in physical media, but like I said as long as it makes financial sense to keep releasing movies on UHD BD I'm fine with it staying an enthusiast format. If it weeds out all the garbage that wouldn't have taken advantage of the format anyway, good riddance.

Going by the Blu-ray statistics, I predict UHD will be a total flop. Sales will be even worse than Blu-ray.
UHD will die. It can be buried next to HD DVD.
HD DVD died because it was pointless next to Blu-ray, UHD BD is not, especially with HDR which makes a big enough difference that even some of the Joe Public might notice.

And why all the negative attitudes around here, why even care about AnyDVD HD if you don't care about quality?

I think DVD sales were immense partly because there was zero competition which made it ubiquitous, and partly because you could put anything you wanted on there; fast, easy and cheap. Crappy soap from the mid-'90s you happened to have digitized tapes of? Just shovel that garbage onto discs and onto store shelves. The market was completely flooded from every direction and people hoarded cheap discs and box sets they never watched once.

Of course the requirements of Blu-ray and entrenched position of DVD would prevent any kind of similar adoption but looking at some of these number I don't think things are that dire:

In its first week of sales in the US 83% of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens discs were Blu-ray, and these were the five top-selling discs in the US for the last week, with the percentage of those being Blu-ray:
  1. Deadpool (71%)
  2. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (64%)
  3. The 5th Wave (39%)
  4. The Revenant (47%)
  5. The Boy (37%)
So yeah, DVD-level of sales will never happen again in physical media, but like I said as long as it makes financial sense to keep releasing movies on UHD BD I'm fine with it staying an enthusiast format. If it weeds out all the garbage that wouldn't have taken advantage of the format anyway, good riddance.

HD DVD died because it was pointless next to Blu-ray, UHD BD is not, especially with HDR which makes a big enough difference that even some of the Joe Public might notice.

And why all the negative attitudes around here, why even care about AnyDVD HD if you don't care about quality?

You TOTALLY missed the point, WE DO CARE ABOUT QUALITY.

You must realise that people like US (on here) are NOT Joe Public, we are a minority, in fact a very small minority. Joe public DONT care about quality but they are the vast majority, so the success/failure of UHD Disks rests with them.

15% Blu ray sales (and falling) says it all, UHD Disk will be a failure, that's not anybody being negative, its the evidence of poor HD sales compared to high salses of standard definition DVD's after years of HD Blu Ray disks being available, that's the evidence.

Even worse, we are introducing yet another Disk Format, bad news, it will cause yet more public confusion and lack of confidence of the disk market in general and will act as a de-stabiliser.

As to your figures for certain Blu Ray titles, I'm afraid they are totally irrelevant, you cant just choose a few titles to see the picture of sales, you have to look at the whole.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can still buy vinyl records, I believe that as long as there is a market for something, even if it is small, as long as it's returning a profit, it will continue.
A person can try and predict the out come of a product based on history and percentages, but in the end it's the public that decides if a product sells or not, weather that public is a majority or a minority.
Trying to apply statistics to something unpredictable as to why people like or dislike something is a game that people have been playing since the beginning of capitalism.

The marketing end of it is making an attempt to introduce UHD Blu-ray to the "Joe Public"; I can go to Walmart.ca and buy UHD discs _ Amazon.ca too.
If there was ever stomping ground for the average person, it's Walmart and Amazon.

If something is marketed properly where Joe consumer is convinced that he/she needs it, then it will sell.
All these percentages of sales and outcomes are only just that, I don't believe they mean anything, they just point out that the marketing end of it is not doing it's job _ or it is.

And talking about marketing, I believe one of the biggest contributors to its failure was its name; "HD DVD".
HD DVD is sort of a mouth full to say, it doesn't really roll of the tongue very well, the name itself was a disaster right from the beginning. Try say it 10 times fast.
Something as seemingly trivial as a name plays a big part of it, even the logo for HD DVD was pretty uninteresting when compared to the Blu-ray logo.
If a teenager saw the HD DVD rack in the store next to the Blu-ray display, which do you think the teen ager will be drawn to, or for that matter, Joe Public ?

I'm just hoping that the name "UHD Blu-ray" and its black case is interesting and attractive enough to attract more then just the minority on this forum and its specifications.

Last edited:
You TOTALLY missed the point, WE DO CARE ABOUT QUALITY.

You must realise that people like US (on here) are NOT Joe Public, we are a minority, in fact a very small minority. Joe public DONT care about quality but they are the vast majority, so the success/failure of UHD Disks rests with them.

15% Blu ray sales (and falling) says it all, UHD Disk will be a failure, that's not anybody being negative, its the evidence of poor HD sales compared to high salses of standard definition DVD's after years of HD Blu Ray disks being available, that's the evidence.

Even worse, we are introducing yet another Disk Format, bad news, it will cause yet more public confusion and lack of confidence of the disk market in general and will act as a de-stabiliser.

As to your figures for certain Blu Ray titles, I'm afraid they are totally irrelevant, you cant just choose a few titles to see the picture of sales, you have to look at the whole.
I believe that there is a lot larger percentage of Joe Public that cares about quality than you think. A bigger problem is reliability. If you purchase a DVD it works in your player, simple but important. With Blue ray if it will play depends on the encryption on the disk and how new your player is. I recently purchased 2 Blu ray disks and my player and my computer drive will not even recognize a disk present. Sure I can go to the hassle of Going online and see if there is an update for my player, but since it is over 2 years old there probably will not be any more support from the manufacturer for updates.

While I enjoy good quality video, I will support quality play-ability. I will not be buying any more Blu ray or any other format disks until the powers that be settle out on encryption codes and I don't have to constantly buy new players every time the disk producers employ a new encryption. Those non-playable Blu ray disks are going to sit on my shelf as a constant reminder to me.

Some of you may be too young to remember the death of VHS. While the improved quality of DVD was great. What drove the rapid transition was that many VHS tapes had such heavy encryption the play-ability was really bad. This drove people to DVD in droves.

While I have had some play-ability issues with DVD's, with AnyDVD I can remove the encryption and play it through my home theater set up. As I have not had a situation where the player refused to recognize a video disk present this has worked very well for me. I enjoy the higher quality video of Blu ray and bought the equipment for it, but there are other factors that are weighed into what kind of disks I will be purchasing in the future.

You must take notice of the evidence. If as you say Joe public is interested in HD and beyond, why, even after all these years is blu ray only at 15% and falling against DVD.

You must take notice of the evidence. If as you say Joe public is interested in HD and beyond, why, even after all these years is blu ray only at 15% and falling against DVD.

I tend to agree. The upscaling DVD players today make it harder to see the "value added" for Blu-Ray.
This not to say that the discerning eye can't tell the difference - "but the average Joe" is too busy watching the content to notice.
It is strange (to me) is that most new flat screens are (at least) 1080p - and TV providers largely support Hi-Def....
But when it comes to DVDs - the same people who have Hi-Def TV see an upscaled 480p DVD and never notice.
But though strange - the numbers don't lie. Blu-Ray is far from cornering the market share.
-W

Last edited:
Back