• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why no Linux Love???

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicemaster

well, i have been following the development of AnyDVD HD for some time and the product sure seems to be maturing and becoming the standard for reliable HD-DVD and Blu-ray back-up. this is a great step towards giving people their fair use rights back and i am grateful their are talented coders like your selves to develop quality software such as AnyDVD. anyways, i have been a windows user forever but have recently started using Ubuntu as my primary operating system, however making the switch has left me out in the cold so to speak if i want to have the flexibility to backup ALL HD content whether it be HD-DVD or Blu-ray, easily. it seems that AnyDVD HD is the only product cable of doing this so i was wondering why a Linux version is not available.

Also note: i feel the concept of Slysoft developing an in house DVD playing app capable of playing our content the way we want it with full menu support on Blu-ray and HD-DVD is a really good idea, and i would be more then willing to pay for it, as long as their were versions available for Linux as well as windows.

Peace,
Slice

Could it be because the only place you can make any money in Penguinville is by selling support?

You can't sell closed source software because you are immediately branded as 'evil'.

To repeat what James has repeated ad-nauseum, a Linux version of Anydvd just isn't happening.

James said:
AnyDVD is an extension to the operating system, so it must run in kernel mode.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=97100&postcount=8

Linux is a problem because of the GPL licensing of the Kernel, and the requirement, that *linking something against the kernel* requires it to be licensed under GPL, too.
So AnyDVD for Linux is a no-go. FreeBSD / NetBSD wouldn't be a problem.

A 1:1 portation of AnyDVD for Linux is not possible because of GPL requirements.
Of course, sitting on Antigua I could simply show the finger and say "sue me!". But we are not like some other companies who use GPL code without licensing. I could tell names, but it's not my business. If the authors of the abused GPL code don't care, why should I.

Thread closed :policeman:

I need another Linux thread like Britney Spears needs another driving accident.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back