• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why my 50GB BR copies freeze at the end of playback?

Hello gentlemen,

my name is Akis from Greece.

I have a unique problem with BR recordings and I still haven't find the answer.

I have a Denon DBP2012UD player and a BR recorder drive LG BH10LS30.

I have 70 original BR movies and I tried to make copies of them just adding the Greek subtitles.(with TS Muxer)

I have burnt 40 (25GB-six different brands) BR discs and they played perfect.

I have burnt 30 (50GB) discs and 5 played perfect and 25 freeze almost in the end of the movie,5-10 minutes from the end.I used Verbatim (are suggested from LG manufacturer),Panasonic and TDK.

Those discs who lets assume are "defective",on the Img burn veryfication succeded 100% and on 2 cheap BR players worked perfect.

On the other hand my Denon player plays PERFECT THE ORIGINAL 50GB movies.

*I once read a review about a similar problem and someone talked about setting a small space empty between layers during recording but I am not good with these terms and I didn't manage to search it.

Can anyone thing any possible cause?

I would really really appreciate your help !

Thank you !

the further near the edge of the disk the faster it is turning. burn as slow as possible on only high quality disks. remember playback is also limited by your hardware player too, just because your PC did a 1:1 verify does not mean that all devices can read the home made disks.

the further near the edge of the disk the faster it is turning

Sorry but I didn't understand it,you mean that as much data I put on a disk it is more possible to freeze?
If yes,I have to mention that as far as I remember always there is a free space after TS muxing.
Because I keep only the video+best available sound (usually Master Audio HD)+Greek subtitles and all the other sound formats+subs are deleted.So the initial huge size is being reduced.

*Also I forgot to mention that ALWAYS the writing speed is X2 and the discs are the best suggested by manufacturer Verbatim,Mitsubishi Kagaku Media

But I get crazy because my player plays all the 50GB movies and it stucks-freezes ONLY IN THE END.
So it plays the discs but something else annoys it.What?

the further near the edge of the disk the faster it is turning. burn as slow as possible on only high quality disks. remember playback is also limited by your hardware player too, just because your PC did a 1:1 verify does not mean that all devices can read the home made disks.

Since he mentioned having that problem with DL discs, at the END of the movie, it should be back at the INNER edge at that point, I suppose.

As they play on the other machines I'd say they are incompatible with the Denon. You could try burning slower, and check the discs don't have any marks on them from manufacturing or storage

As it concerns the speed,it is already X2.It can't be reduced,can it?The discs support X2,X4 and th minimum in setting of recorder is X2.

As it concerns the "incompatibility" what kind of incompatibility is this?I watch 2 hours JUST PERFECT and suddenly in the last 5-10 minutes the picture freezes.
In usual incompatibility the player wouldn't even start,or I would notice continuous picture blur etc or message "unsupported file-disc" or something else.
And bear in mind that I watch all 50GB movies perfect,but in the end the problem occurs.

It's got to be something else...

After some similar posts I'have read in web and from some things I discussed,my attitude is that as an expensive player it tries to make a "good-deep reading" of the disc content and it meets burning flaws that the other cheaper players play more surface and find nothing...

Last edited:
Since the discs play on other players, the Denon is the problem, plain-and-simple. Whether it's broke, out-of-alignment, incompatible, etc. is impossible to determine.

I don't know that player at all, but if it were me I would try to find a friend or a dealer who has that specific player and try my discs in another same model.

There are a lot of people with exactly the same problem,if you search on web you will see and they have other players than mine.So it's not the player.

(1) I buy the discs from e-bay (Japan-stop) here is what they told me...

Hello, yes we heard these troubles before even with Sony discs played on Play Station devices and we can't really know exactly the causes of it. If the discs were burned well then the discs were successful but the problem seems to be the player not the discs itself.
This issue is beyond our support but we suggest you to try and ply the discs on other devices to see if the same happens, then you can tell better. Panasonic are excellent discs and complaints are minimum, it doesn't mean all the discs will work perfectly in any devices, there is always troubles with bluray discs.

You can try cleaning the lens of your Denom player too or contact Denom for assistance too. I'm sorry about the troubles.
Regards.

(2) Also I found this interesting article in web...

Windows 7 may not calculate the size of writable area on BD-R, BD-R DL and BD-R XL correctly.

When attempting to burn 46GB of data to a BD-R Dual Layer disc, or 23GB to a BD-R Single Layer disc in master mode, the process fails and the following error message will be displayed:

"The disc wasn't burned successfully. Make sure that you have the latest firmware for your CD or DVD burner installed, and then try again."
This problem occurs because Windows 7 does not calculate the write capacity of BD-R correctly.

Note: This problem may occur also when you use BD-R XL (Triple or Quadruple Layer) media.
To work around this issue, do not attempt to write more than 22GB of data onto a BD-R Single Layer disc or 45GB for a BD-R Dual Layer disc.

Back to the top | Give Feedback
Note This is a "FAST PUBLISH" article created directly from within the Microsoft support organization. The information contained herein is provided as-is in response to emerging issues. As a result of the speed in making it available, the materials may include typographical errors and may be revised at any time without notice. See Terms of Use for other considerations.

Neither of those quotes prove that it's not the player. The fact that the discs work in 2 other cheap players points to a problem between the discs and the Denon, otherwise they wouldn't work on the other 2 players either. I'd say the Denon is much more sensitive to flaws in the discs than the other 2 players.
The first quote is basically saying the same thing we are, the second quote isn't relevant as they are referring to failures during burning, as you aren't getting that then it's also not relevant and I have to be honest, I'm not sure where they are getting their info from, but I've been burning Blu-rays for over 6 years using Imgburn and never had any issues with disc size being calculated wrong. (If I include the ones I have to do for work I'm probably nearing the 10,000 mark). As it doesn't state what software they are using it's difficult to asses where the cause is of their problem.
You say you buy the discs of Ebay, do they come in Jewel cases or just in sleeves? If in sleeves then check the surface as BD-R surfaces are slightly soft, and packing them in sleeves that have a cross hatch pattern can cause the pattern to be pushed into the surface making the discs unreadable, and sometimes un-writable in some players. I had a batch from Ebay that did that and were pretty much useless

I'd say the Denon is much more sensitive to flaws in the discs than the other 2 players

So we agree,there are disc flaws,simply my Denon is more sensitive on tracking them.Not that it needs to be repaired...
Also from Denon they veryfied me that if it plays the 25GB perfect then the device is OK...

The discs I buy are these...

Verbatim.jpg

Brand

Verbatim
Condition

Brand New,Factory sealed!
Format
BD-R DL Double layer Ver. 1.2
Speed 1 - 4X
Qty 50 Discs

Note

** Recording Surface on BD-R Made with
unique MABL (Metal ABlative Layer)
** Mitsubishi Kagaku Media's Own SERL
(Super Eutectic Recording Layer) Film
on the BD-RE
** Advanced Surface Protection Layer
(Cover Layer, Hard Coat Layer) hybrid!
** Precise Spin Coating Method
** High Precision Mastering Technology
** Inkjet-compatible Label
** Scratch resistance
** Smudge resistance
** Dust resistance
** Maximize Optical Media Performance
** Safeguard of Your Irreplaceable Data

Anyway,if anyone finds a solution,please let me know,thanks!

Last edited:
Yesterday I burned a movie (Hard Target) on a Verbatim 50GB blu ray disc.The veryfication failed (due to a lot of miscompare errors) so I stoped veryfication myself.

Listen carefully now:

I watched all the movie 1:28:06 hour,absolutelly perfect and on 1:28:06 it freezed for 3 seconds and started 10 seconds after (1:28:16) and there where 10 minutes untill the end (including the end titles)...
Usually when it freezed it stop reproduction.

I have been convinced that something happens with the two layers.
Maybe I should search more about "layer break".

What is your opinion?

We are talking I have the most bizzare problem with blu ray on earth...

Yesterday the veryfication failed DL blu ray disc played and freezed only in the end of movie.
The same disc played 100% perfect on a cheap br player.
Today I watched 100% perfect the tron legacy:

Disc: Verbatim DL (Kagaku Media Mitsubishi)
veryfication: successfull
burning speed: X2
Duration: 2 hours & 5 minutes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now,how can this be explained ?

Have you tried making one without adding in the Greek subtitles, so it remains untouched? Personally I've never had an issue ripping to folder then burning back to DL disc, but James recommends ripping DL's to ISO then burning that back as it preserves the file layout from the original disc.

I would have thought it depends on how the files are arranged on the disc. Some movies are small enough to fit on 1 layer with the extras on the second layer. Some movies are quite large and the 1 large file fills more than 1 layer, so when the layer changes it may have issues. Others are made up of lots of small files and use 'seamless branching'

Gentlemen,

I FOUND THE SOLUTION TO THE BD-DL FREEZING PROBLEM !

You must convert the BDMV file to ISO (via Img Burn) and then you burn the disc.
I suspect that the exact problem has to do with layer break...

To me it worked absolutely perfect and now I enjoy all the 50GB copy movies.
I have already burnt 10 discs and the work perfect.I keep on...
Among them,3 movies were freezing very strong (Hard Target,Event Horizon,Terminator 2) and now they just play pefrect.
I am testing all these movies by watching them entire,not skipping chapters.

Just try it !
I hope I help you,good luck!

Thank you all for your help.

Merry Christmas to everyone !

I just wanted to end this topic by confirming (for second time) that the solution I gave you works perfect.
Since my last post,I burned 23 BR-DL and they worked perfect.
Not even one mulfunctioned !!! and I tested those written discs by watching them as whole movies without stop,pause,skip chapter.

Also very important!!!

• I don't use anymore the veryfication which was not always reliable and consumed a lot of time (approximately an hour)...
  • During burning I run other applications such as downloading movies and surfing on web which until now seemed dream (risk of burning failure) ...

Back