• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why is Nero a bad choice for HD DVD playback?

Desmo888

I have just become an AnyDVD user and doing my homework on the various HD DVD Player software.

I already own Nero 8 with the HD/BD plug in, but playback is full of jitter; not to mention that it does not interface well with AnyDVD.

Why is Nero not a good choice (other than "because it SU!@S"):confused:.

A detailed/technical explanation would be appreciated, but any constructive reply is welcome.

Thanks!

nero doesn't seem to use hardware acceleration (at least never did with me with ATI). best case, it worked but the film was stuttering, worst case nero just closed down.

i tried arcsoft TMT, which claims to also play hd-dvds, but again it didn't seem to use hardware acceleration - but at least it didn't crash.

now i'm using powerdvd 8.2217u with the hd-dvd 'fix' from powerdvd 7. there are plenty of threads about it in the forum.

mrr19121970, says quite well.

The main problem with nero is it doesn't offload from the cpu.

Meaning if you gone use nero you really need very strong processor.

Also HD_DVD are mostly encoded VC1 which is even more stressful on cpu than mpeg4_AVC used on blu-ray.

Last but no least you luck may vary from disc to disc.

I have just become an AnyDVD user and doing my homework on the various HD DVD Player software.

I already own Nero 8 with the HD/BD plug in, but playback is full of jitter; not to mention that it does not interface well with AnyDVD.

Why is Nero not a good choice (other than "because it SU!@S"):confused:.

A detailed/technical explanation would be appreciated, but any constructive reply is welcome.

Thanks!

Mostly because it crashes or simply doesn't work at all with HD DVDs. I couldn't get the latest ShowTime versions (Nero 8) to play a single HD DVD, with or without AnyDVD. That's why it sucks.
To make it perfectly clear: It is a worthless peace of junk, if you want to playback HD DVDs or Blu-rays.

And they dropped support for Blu-ray in nero 9 Showtime as well

Back