• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why is it so hard

damnskippy

To work with HD video compared to SD. Speaking in reference to HD-DVD and BD compared to a SD DVD. I have been looking through the different how-to guides here and other places to make backups of my HD-DVD disks. Looked at a couple ways including conversion to BD, single file such as avi and standard dual layer disks.

I really do not know much about the internal workings of how DVD's (SD or HD) work though I am knowledgeable as far as encoding video from working in 3d and rendering the animations. I don't think that transcoding video is much of the issue though. I just never dealt much with how the DVD's function. Therefore I don't understand why it is so difficult to create an application to such as DVD Shrink or CloneDVD that can take a HD-DVD and convert it to a BD or let you compress it to fit on a dual layer DVD while removing the extra stuff you do not need/want.

I am sure I am not the first to ask but in doing some googling I really did not find an answer. Some speculation and maybe some actual fact but not anything I thought answers the question I thought was trustworthy. So I thought I would ask here as I figure there are quite a few that would know.

Well I guess since this thread had 124 reads but no replies I either asked a stupid question or a very hard one.

Simple answer is that HD and BD are new. SD has been out for many years. That is why there is no simple way to do things just yet.

So it is possible to make a program like cloneDVD/DVDShrink for BD and HD-DVD but it just has not been done yet. That is incurraging because it is a huge pain in the but right now and it does not seem you can do all the things that you can with CloneDVD to the HD veriety even when jumping through all the hoops.

This will most likely happen when the blanks aren't 15+ dollars to get just 1 and the hardware is under 200.00 as well.

I mainly want to remove the stuff I don't want and rip it to the HD so I can play it from my HTPC. Getting rid of the lossless audio alone will save a ton of space. Hopefully the same app will be able to make it an ISO in the same process but I can live with using imgburn to make it if needed. Having one app do it all with a few clicks would be the shiznit though.

Thanks for the info Charlie.

Once on the hard drive I would imagine that it would be easy to burn it to a disc considering you have the hardware and blank media for it.

Back