• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Why do some episode simply have a much lower bitrate on Netflix?

venomone

Hey folks,

I noticed that some episodes on Netflix (explicitly Netflix) come in a much lower bit rate than the rest of the TV-Shows Season on download. Example, I download Series YXZ Season 2, Episode 1-12. They all have the same file size and all have a very similar bit rate of about 3 Mibit/s. Then episode 13 only has 1 Mbit/s, episode 14 again ~3 Mbit/s

To further investigate here, I switched on the Netflix app on my TV, started the Episode that came at under 1 Mbit/s using AnyStream. Then I displayed the detail view of my TV, and it simply shows 3.24 Mbit/s for the same episode I was not able to pull out with Anystream or just at about 1 Mbit/s, why?

I mean, the data is there obviously, but AnyStream seem not to be able to parse the playlist correctly or Netflix simply does not deliver the Playlist holding the 3.24 Mbit/s version. I have no idea what's the problem in the end, but it kinda sucks.

So, my question to the Any stream developers is, do you simply not receive the higher bit rate version or is it simply not available due to the way Anystream behaves against Netflix?

This issue does not occur that often, but it occurs and simply makes me delete the whole series again as it's not consistent according to the bit rate across the whole series.

Best regards

Your TV probably requests Main profile due to technical constraints, AS requests High Profile:

Code:
https://netflixtechblog.com/more-efficient-mobile-encodes-for-netflix-downloads-625d7b082909

Okay, but where does it make sense that the High profile has a lower bit rate compared to the main or baseline (not sure if they have baseline) ?

@0x0x0x0x0 Why the blog post ? Does Anystream or my TV act like a mobile device, can't really imagine that.

Okay, to me, it looks much worse, not better :(

Okay, but where does it make sense that the High profile has a lower bit rate compared to the main or baseline (not sure if they have baseline) ?

That's literally explained in the blogpost!

@0x0x0x0x0 Why the blog post ? Does Anystream or my TV act like a mobile device, can't really imagine that.

For a lot of stuff, the High profile actually ends up with better quality (and higher rates) than the Main profile (compare You, for example).

Last edited:
Hey folks,

I noticed that some episodes on Netflix (explicitly Netflix) come in a much lower bit rate than the rest of the TV-Shows Season on download.

discussion as old ad AS 1.0.0, lol. apparently NF is a douchebag and uses all the tricks in the book to lower the costs per user, per stream. thats the general concensus, with a bit of a personal touch by moi (douchebag part). up until recently i took it for a fact, until i ran into a 270kbps (yes, you read that right - 270kbps) episode of a popular NF produced series. and then, in another example i got a weird bug where the playlist displayed three instances for each episode and one of them had like 40% higher bitrate than the other two instances (all 3 were same resolution btw). combined with parachuters who occasionally appear on forum saying AS cant even get high bitrate files from NF, that got me thinking that albeit AS being a great product that ill support forever, and albeit it opened the doors to a tonne of content it is still somewhat flawed.

BUT, that being said i still think NF is a douchebag of a service that is deteriorating by day (unlike AS which always gets better and better) and im seriously thinking of ditching it since the files obtained are getting worse and worse (blockiness, banding issues, low bitrates etc). unlike AP nad HMAX which are, IMO, far superior servies and AS really shines with those. now i use NF only if i must, and 50p% of the time i delete what i get from NF and source the same material elsewhere (linux distros' providers etc, khm... well... wink-wink). and even those which are way higher bitrate files and 3-4x larger files, they STILL have banding issues and blockiness issues (this happens with AP as much as NF as of lately). example: let the right one in (series). each episode is 3gb+ and still has issues (mainly due to grain, if you havent noticed grain just kills digital videos unless they get insane bitrate treatment).

all in all, NF is what it is. AS is what it is. NF sucks, AS (despite its possible limitations on what it can grab) is great and thats about it. stick with AP and HMAX. NF is last resort, IMO. cheers!

Pretty sure Anystream uses a L3 CDM of a Android, because i don't use AS very often, and when i do i get a e-mail from Netflix that some Android Device logged in into my account and if it was me or someone else...

Pretty sure Anystream uses a L3 CDM of a Android, because i don't use AS very often, and when i do i get a e-mail from Netflix that some Android Device logged in into my account and if it was me or someone else...

You can be "pretty sure" about anything you like, doesn't make it so.

You can be "pretty sure" about anything you like, doesn't make it so.

Well, that's my conclusion - you can also write everything here, without proof it's just a post in forum...

Code:
https://imgur.com/dTF3bXW
That's the mail i've got immediately after i downloaded something with AS.
And i don't even own an Android and don't share my login credentials

Last edited by a moderator:
Back