• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why can't I get dolby digital on PDVD9??

wzabka

All of my bd's iso's will only play in stereo once I upgraded to PDVD9. Most rented BD's will play fine in PDVD and in DD but Avatar will only play in stereo.

Can someone please tell me how to remedy this?

Thanks!!

Well it depends on what audio streams are embedded on the disc. If you want Dolby Digital but the disc has no DD track then it uses another one. Avatar blu-ray for example does not have a DD track. The HD audio is DTS-HD Master audio. DTS =/= DD

Well it depends on what audio streams are embedded on the disc. If you want Dolby Digital but the disc has no DD track then it uses another one. Avatar blu-ray for example does not have a DD track. The HD audio is DTS-HD Master audio. DTS =/= DD

What do I have to do to get 5.1 surround. I've vever had a problem with it until I went to pdvd9. Is there something I can do to get it to work?

What do I have to do to get 5.1 surround. I've vever had a problem with it until I went to pdvd9. Is there something I can do to get it to work?

If this is an OEM copy of PDVD9 (came with a drive or something similar) you may need to upgrade to a full retail version to get past stereo audio. They often do not include the expensive-to-license multi-channel codecs in OEM versions.

Otherwise, it depends on how you are connected from the computer to the receiver (or whatever is decoding and amplifying the signal).

If you are connected with analog cables, PDVD should be decoding the DTS HD track to do it. Check the audio configuration in the settings.

If you are connecting via optical or coaxial digital audio cables, you may need to enable DTS audio out on those cables by telling PDVD that your receiver can handle it.

If your receiver or other playback device cannot handle DTS at all, then you have fewer choices.

You can buy a card with "Dolby Digital Live" encoding and set PDVD output to analog, directing the output to the DDL card. The card will re-encode the audio onto an optical output, allowing your receiver to work with DD all the time. DD Live cards are available from a variety of manufacturers for $50 to $80.

If you can't do HD Audio via HDMI bitstreaming, then the all analog (4 <3> dual channel cables from your computer to the receiver) is the best sounding and most robust solution (if the receiver has a 7.1 <5.1> direct input). It will let you hear the output from any source on your computer, which helps when using lots of different players, including web browsers for some audio.

If this is an OEM copy of PDVD9 (came with a drive or something similar) you may need to upgrade to a full retail version to get past stereo audio. They often do not include the expensive-to-license multi-channel codecs in OEM versions.

Otherwise, it depends on how you are connected from the computer to the receiver (or whatever is decoding and amplifying the signal).

If you are connected with analog cables, PDVD should be decoding the DTS HD track to do it. Check the audio configuration in the settings.

If you are connecting via optical or coaxial digital audio cables, you may need to enable DTS audio out on those cables by telling PDVD that your receiver can handle it.

If your receiver or other playback device cannot handle DTS at all, then you have fewer choices.

You can buy a card with "Dolby Digital Live" encoding and set PDVD output to analog, directing the output to the DDL card. The card will re-encode the audio onto an optical output, allowing your receiver to work with DD all the time. DD Live cards are available from a variety of manufacturers for $50 to $80.

If you can't do HD Audio via HDMI bitstreaming, then the all analog (4 <3> dual channel cables from your computer to the receiver) is the best sounding and most robust solution (if the receiver has a 7.1 <5.1> direct input). It will let you hear the output from any source on your computer, which helps when using lots of different players, including web browsers for some audio.

I purchased pdvd9 ultra from the cyberlink web site. I'm currently connected from my htpc to my onkyo receiver using a spdif cable. It just seems odd that the same bd iso's I've had for a couple years that used to work in dd no only some up in stereo through pdvd9.
Under audio setting in pdvd9 it shows it's using current spdif connection. Under the output mode section it says use primary audio when I change the to dts or dolby during the movie playback it sounds really odd and chopped up.

I purchased pdvd9 ultra from the cyberlink web site. I'm currently connected from my htpc to my onkyo receiver using a spdif cable. It just seems odd that the same bd iso's I've had for a couple years that used to work in dd no only some up in stereo through pdvd9.
Under audio setting in pdvd9 it shows it's using current spdif connection. Under the output mode section it says use primary audio when I change the to dts or dolby during the movie playback it sounds really odd and chopped up.
Did you make sure all updates were applied? (the download may or may not contain them?)

Does you Sound control panel correctly indicate the number of speakers (5.1) that you have? I have had that reset itself to 2 more times than I can count. That will force down conversion to stereo.

It is probably better to point PDVD directly at the SPDIF output you want to use than to assume that going through the Windows audio system will yield the desired results. Going direct will normally bypass the control panel speaker count setting and just send the data out the port, to be handled by your receiver.

Did you make sure all updates were applied? (the download may or may not contain them?)

Does you Sound control panel correctly indicate the number of speakers (5.1) that you have? I have had that reset itself to 2 more times than I can count. That will force down conversion to stereo.

It is probably better to point PDVD directly at the SPDIF output you want to use than to assume that going through the Windows audio system will yield the desired results. Going direct will normally bypass the control panel speaker count setting and just send the data out the port, to be handled by your receiver.

I just did the initial pdvd download recently and it looks like I have the most recent update - version 2528.51.

My sound control panel shows
digital output device (spdif out) SigmaTel high defintion audio codec working
There is nothing under properties that gives the option on the speaker config.
When I play a standard def iso they all play in DD.

In the PDVD audio settings I have use spdif under the speaker environment.

I just did the initial pdvd download recently and it looks like I have the most recent update - version 2528.51.

My sound control panel shows
digital output device (spdif out) SigmaTel high defintion audio codec working
There is nothing under properties that gives the option on the speaker config.
When I play a standard def iso they all play in DD.

In the PDVD audio settings I have use spdif under the speaker environment.

Right now I'm playing Wall-E it is coming in stereo. I'm looking at the audio settings page while the movie is playing. Under speaker environment it shows use spdif
in the output mode it has only primary audio selected. If I click the drop down box it shows dolby digital mixing and dts mixing as the other two options. If I click on either of those the sound goes haywire.

I just checked all of my bd iso's will only play in stereo. I have rented other bd's in the last two weeks that would play in surround off of the disk but not Avatar.

So frustrating!!

I just checked all of my bd iso's will only play in stereo. I have rented other bd's in the last two weeks that would play in surround off of the disk but not Avatar.

So frustrating!!

What were you using before PDVD9? Does it still produce full surround?

Some trial versions limit you to two channel output. Since you recently installed this, perhaps it is not fully activated? Does it show your serial number in its information?

I checked to Cyberlink site for limitations and found that they either are not selling any PDVD9 or they hide it very well. Only PDVD10 available.

I last purchased PDVD7/8, so PDVD9 was after I decided I did not need the PDVD issues. I am using TMT2 and TMT3 now.

What were you using before PDVD9? Does it still produce full surround?

Some trial versions limit you to two channel output. Since you recently installed this, perhaps it is not fully activated? Does it show your serial number in its information?

I checked to Cyberlink site for limitations and found that they either are not selling any PDVD9 or they hide it very well. Only PDVD10 available.

I last purchased PDVD7/8, so PDVD9 was after I decided I did not need the PDVD issues. I am using TMT2 and TMT3 now.

I was using pdvd7 before but I had some issues with it and had to uninstall and they would only let me get pdvd9.
I just got pdvd10. I'll let you know if that works. If not I'm going to TMT. This really sucks buying these pdvd pos's!

Well I'm having the exact same issue with pdvd10 only playing in stereo. WHY?!

Well I'm having the exact same issue with pdvd10 only playing in stereo. WHY?!

1. You missed a setting in PDVD.
Check when playback is stopped (some settings may not be available when playing a disk). It may think that it should convert to two channel, then send PCM through the SPDIF instead of passing the DD through without alteration. There may be a mixing option that allows the two audio sources to play at once or some sound effects from the player. Turn it off.

2. You missed a setting in Windows.
Make sure Windows thinks you have at least a 5.1 speaker setup.

3. Your audio driver may be contributing to the delinquency of PDVD.
See if there is a newer better version of the driver (or a PDVD update).

1. You missed a setting in PDVD.
Check when playback is stopped (some settings may not be available when playing a disk). It may think that it should convert to two channel, then send PCM through the SPDIF instead of passing the DD through without alteration. There may be a mixing option that allows the two audio sources to play at once or some sound effects from the player. Turn it off.

2. You missed a setting in Windows.
Make sure Windows thinks you have at least a 5.1 speaker setup.

3. Your audio driver may be contributing to the delinquency of PDVD.
See if there is a newer better version of the driver (or a PDVD update).

I've looked at the pdvd settings over and over again. In the audio settings panel it says spdif out that is the only option. When playback is stopped it no longer give me the output mode options.

I've looked and looked in windows and have went through the sound card properties and I do not see a option to do 5.1 it does show spdif though.

The pdvd I have is the most up to date and When searching for an audio driver update it says it's the most up to date version.

Dolby works fine in media center.

I've looked at the pdvd settings over and over again. In the audio settings panel it says spdif out that is the only option. When playback is stopped it no longer give me the output mode options.

I've looked and looked in windows and have went through the sound card properties and I do not see a option to do 5.1 it does show spdif though.

The pdvd I have is the most up to date and When searching for an audio driver update it says it's the most up to date version.
Are you using Windows 7? What does the audio (speaker) panel say you are capable of playing? You should be able to set 5.1 speakers as the audio default and test that it works. If it does, then pdvd using s/pdif should work in 5.1 as you have a retail version.

I gave up on pdvd (7 & 8 Ultra) audio problems and bought a Sondigo Callisto (for $50) which takes 8 channel audio from pdvd and converts it to dts. All my audio woes stopped right there. Eventually, I switched to TMT2 on my other system for $40 and it converts to dts natively.

I watched Avatar (US) on both of those with dts. pdvd 7.3 build 5711 (without anydvd) and tmt2 build 133 (with anydvd 6.6.3.7).

Last edited:
Are you using Windows 7? What does the audio (speaker) panel say you are capable of playing? You should be able to set 5.1 speakers as the audio default and test that it works. If it does, then pdvd using s/pdif should work in 5.1 as you have a retail version.

I gave up on pdvd (7 & 8 Ultra) audio problems and bought a Sondigo Callisto (for $50) which takes 8 channel audio from pdvd and converts it to dts. All my audio woes stopped right there. Eventually, I switched to TMT2 on my other system for $40 and it converts to dts natively.

I watched Avatar (US) on both of those with dts. pdvd 7.3 build 5711 (without anydvd) and tmt2 build 133 (with anydvd 6.6.3.7).

I'm using vista. I've looked in the sound panel many times and there is not a speaker option. It shows that it has spdif hooked up.

Sure wish this could be a lot easier. Sure is a lot of tinkering.:bang:

I'm using vista. I've looked in the sound panel many times and there is not a speaker option. It shows that it has spdif hooked up.
IIRC you should be able to test the s/pdif output through the sound panel setup and tell it it is 5.1 capable - I haven't used that for a long time because I went back to XP after running the Vista beta on my HTPC. My laptop with Vista doesn't have s/pdif, so I can't test it.

Maybe another user running Vista / s/pdif can chime on on the setup.

All of my bd's iso's will only play in stereo once I upgraded to PDVD9. Most rented BD's will play fine in PDVD and in DD but Avatar will only play in stereo.

Can someone please tell me how to remedy this?

Thanks!!

Check your settings in PDVD audio and make sure it's set to non-decoded DD/DTS and NOT PCM decoding. That's about the only thing I can think of.

Back