• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why can't anydvd pass aacs2.1?

Zangmonkey

I'm asking to learn. I already know how to address this using other tools like makemkv.

But given that anydvd now uses makemkv for libre, and others have cracked aacs2.1 why is anydvd still unable to do so?

I see that you think "other tools have cracked aacs 2.1" but that's simply not 100% accurate. For example, try decrypting the latest version of Zombieland even with MakeMKV. You'll find....it doesn't work. Mike has a solution for it but refuses to release it until there are more titles released with aacs 2.1. I don't know how other tools handle aacs 2.1 but given the complaints about this particular title on MakeMKV forum, I suspect none of them handle it.

The second thing to know is that LibreDrive has absolutely NOTHING to do with aacs at all. It disables bus encryption. It does nothing with decrypting anything.

Finally, why is aacs 2.1 so hard to decrypt? It's complicated. Mike said they are released in pairs of titles which is why it's so expensive to use and why it's seemingly (at the moment) abandoned. AACS 2.1 works in a similar way to BD+ but is on steroids. There are 65535 paths through decrypting different parts of a title. HOW you decrypt it, however, performs traitor tracing, allowing the studios to figure out what's been compromised in order to shut it down with an MKB update. It will trace pretty much everything about the environment that's decrypting it, including the IP address and MAC address of the player used. This gets embedded in the decrypted stream like a watermark. Given there are currently 4 titles out there with this protection, no one is going to spend a ton of time on supporting this.

AACS 2.1 has not been "cracked" in any real sense.

Hope this helps.

I'm asking to learn. I already know how to address this using other tools like makemkv.

But given that anydvd now uses makemkv for libre, and others have cracked aacs2.1 why is anydvd still unable to do so?
this protection is, firstly, very expensive and secondly, it spies on the customer so that it can be considered almost illegal, most studies have left it and use AACS 2.0, which is also not cracked in the true sense of the word

I see that you think "other tools have cracked aacs 2.1" but that's simply not 100% accurate. For example, try decrypting the latest version of Zombieland even with MakeMKV. You'll find....it doesn't work. Mike has a solution for it but refuses to release it until there are more titles released with aacs 2.1. I don't know how other tools handle aacs 2.1 but given the complaints about this particular title on MakeMKV forum, I suspect none of them handle it.

The second thing to know is that LibreDrive has absolutely NOTHING to do with aacs at all. It disables bus encryption. It does nothing with decrypting anything.

Finally, why is aacs 2.1 so hard to decrypt? It's complicated. Mike said they are released in pairs of titles which is why it's so expensive to use and why it's seemingly (at the moment) abandoned. AACS 2.1 works in a similar way to BD+ but is on steroids. There are 65535 paths through decrypting different parts of a title. HOW you decrypt it, however, performs traitor tracing, allowing the studios to figure out what's been compromised in order to shut it down with an MKB update. It will trace pretty much everything about the environment that's decrypting it, including the IP address and MAC address of the player used. This gets embedded in the decrypted stream like a watermark. Given there are currently 4 titles out there with this protection, no one is going to spend a ton of time on supporting this.

AACS 2.1 has not been "cracked" in any real sense.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the explanation.

But how is it that I am able to extract the videos using makemkv and play them?

At least I am the with The Patriot. I don't own Zombieland to try.

Ummm because Mike added support for 4 of the aacs 2.1 variants? What do you mean "how is it that..."? I don't understand the question.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

Ummm because Mike added support for 4 of the aacs 2.1 variants? What do you mean "how is it that..."? I don't understand the question.

Oh I see!
So these specific titles are functional but that's not to indicate a holistic solution.

Oh I see!
So these specific titles are functional but that's not to indicate a holistic solution.

Correct. Like I said, Mike has a more comprehensive solution according to a post on MakeMKV forum, but he's not going to unleash it and potentially tip his new method for one title that currently is unsupported (the new Zombieland variant).

Correct. Like I said, Mike has a more comprehensive solution according to a post on MakeMKV forum, but he's not going to unleash it and potentially tip his new method for one title that currently is unsupported (the new Zombieland variant).

One more question, mostly related.

My workflow is overkill.
I make a protected iso using anydvd (keep protection)

Then I mount this iso in virtualclonedrive

Then I run another iso, removing protection, from the vcd source. This verifies that my initial protected iso was bit perfect, otherwise it should fail hash.

I own"Fury", "Patriot", and "Stand by Me", all aacs2.1
Anydvd cannot presently make unprotected ISOs for them. So I use makemkv to extract the mkv files.

Now, for Fury and Patriot, makemkv could open and use the protected iso that anydvd made.

But for Stand by Me it could not read from the iso. Makemkv would only extract the files when reading directly from the disc.
I recall Mike talking about how iso files do not have the drive keys needed for aacs2.1 but then why do 2/3 of my titles work from the iso and only one doesn't (read from disc only)

Then I run another iso, removing protection, from the vcd source. This verifies that my initial protected iso was bit perfect, otherwise it should fail hash.
You can use this instead, will be done in a few minutes instead of a whole new copy that wastes your drive:

It's possible that your stand by me iso was corrupt in some way. My workflow is to create a protected iso and use that to create the mkv. I don't recall whether I was able to do that on stand by me or not. The remastered version just released a few months ago does not have aacs 2.1 but I do have the one that has it, as well. I'd try recreating the iso and see what happens.

It's possible that your stand by me iso was corrupt in some way. My workflow is to create a protected iso and use that to create the mkv. I don't recall whether I was able to do that on stand by me or not. The remastered version just released a few months ago does not have aacs 2.1 but I do have the one that has it, as well. I'd try recreating the iso and see what happens.

Today I ripped it two more times to the same effect.

I wonder if there's some new failure surface to explore here?

Brand new disc, rips with protection no problem, makemkv can rip the files from the disc, but it cannot rip them from the iso.

I think Mike is highlighting the issue here, but then I wonder why Fury and Patriot work fine this way.

No, that has absolutely nothing at all to do with the problem. Unless you're making bus encrypted ISOs which ummmm. AnyDVD would use LibreDrive for official drives and could bus decrypt with UHD friendly drives, so, that's highly unlikely. I don't have time to test mine any time soon as I'm in the middle of installing a new laptop and don't have even half my stuff installed.

Back