• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why buying DVDs?

SD_J-I_88

Hey to all of you,

I am buying BDs only since 2010, because of the supreme picture and sound quality.
To all of you who are buying DVDs can you please explain why you prefer DVDs and not Bds.

This is no accusation just curisosity.

Wrong section. Moved to general chat. The anydvd sections are reserved for disc problems.

Why do I buy DVDs? Because what I watch doesn't IMO need the enhancement that Bluray can offer. Older TV shows are my main DVD purchases.

Others have said IN THEIR OPINION older TV shows, such as the original Star Trek are better on Bluray. Well, that is their opinion and one I don't share. I've seen select episodes on DVD and Bluray, and in MY OPINION the Blurays showed things the creators wouldn't want seen. Such as stained costumes, really bad makeup even for the low standards of 1960's television, the sets looking even cheaper and clunkier than on broadcast TV and DVD, etc.

Add in the costs of backing up Bluray discs and what is essentially a hobby for me becomes more expensive and a hassle than I care to justify.

Others may and will disagree. Good for them they have the time and money I don't have to deal with Bluray.

Why do I buy DVDs? Because what I watch doesn't IMO need the enhancement that Bluray can offer. Older TV shows are my main DVD purchases.

Others have said IN THEIR OPINION older TV shows, such as the original Star Trek are better on Bluray. Well, that is their opinion and one I don't share. I've seen select episodes on DVD and Bluray, and in MY OPINION the Blurays showed things the creators wouldn't want seen. Such as stained costumes, really bad makeup even for the low standards of 1960's television, the sets looking even cheaper and clunkier than on broadcast TV and DVD, etc.

Add in the costs of backing up Bluray discs and what is essentially a hobby for me becomes more expensive and a hassle than I care to justify.

Others may and will disagree. Good for them they have the time and money I don't have to deal with Bluray.
FurryGuy, as you see from my Avatar, I'm a fan of Star Trek: TOS (The Original Series) so I have the Series in both DVD and Blu-ray format. I really got a kick out of seeing Leonard Nimoy's Mr. Spock costume covered with a coffee stain in "The Trouble With Tribbles" among other things that the producers didn't want revealed back then. I already know the sets were cheap and clunky, but that was part of the charm of the Series back then. I can watch it with an discerning eye as an adult, and still enjoy the show, whether on VHS--I got rid of those when DVD came out, DVD, or Blu-ray.

I run my movies through an upscaling Yamaha AV receiver and the picture looks pretty darn good. My speakers, coupled with the Yamaha, produce very good audio. If there is a movie where I know there are special features or a dynamic soundtrack, I'd consider BR.

Hey to all of you,

I am buying BDs only since 2010, because of the supreme picture and sound quality.
To all of you who are buying DVDs can you please explain why you prefer DVDs and not Bds.

Put this way my DVD player upscale DVD so they are just as good for me. I don't need all the extras that is the reason. DVD movies are just fine for me. Also cost and DRM restricted BD player are part of the problem. I got a Pre-2012 BD player so I have no DRM worries from BD movies. The DVD movies I play are just fine to watch-I am not a theater system as well so DVD are just fine also the cost makes a difference as well. Cost is one thing. A remastered movie in BD is the same as watching in DVD. There are very few block buster that I want in BD when DVD works just fine and cost less. I don't have a million dollar home entertainment system so I don't need all those eye candies.

Last edited:
For me I am building a 10 terabyte movie server with a full 10 terabyte back up. Which for me will be about 1800 movies (avg. 5.2 gigs a movie). Now I am doing most of this on the cheap. Basically going to pawn shops and buying dvds for a dollar. The picture quality for most movies before digital is pretty good for viewing. Once digital came into being the quality of the picture in movies was even better. With many flaws of the actors makeup being visible. The red pimple blotches on Charlize Theron face in Aeon Flux was kind of distracting. In short I do not want anymore HD than regular dvd's, especially if I am watching on a 60 inch screen. Plus the cost for Blu Ray and what will come next is prohibited for movies I or my family may watch 3 or 4 times over the next 20 years.

Hey to all of you,

I have got thousands of DVDs. I cannot or will not justify the expense of replacing all the DVDs.

Frankly, with 75 year old eyes, even with a new 70 inch Vizio TV (maybe that's the problem!)...I can hardly tell the difference at normal viewing distance. Another kink to consider is the 4K follow on. Seems like BluRay had a short life and now wants to be replaced by a newer technology and more equipment purchase.

The quality of a DVD is sufficient and ok for us for movies and TV-Series. Also we save a lot of HDD space, because all discs are on a NAS-system. We use a Dune 303 mediaplayer as the only playback device. Only our nature documentaries (BBC, NatGeo, PBS...) are in BluRay quality (but also on NAS).

I certainly don't "prefer" DVD over BD, but there are rare cases, where the remastering just got horribly wrong in HD. The Beatle's Help is one of those.

And of course, many TV series simply were shot on SD video. I see no reason to buy them on BD, unless the mastering is superior, which I haven't seen so far. Ie. Doctor Who (2005) on BD is too slow, Stromberg (German's Office show) on BD just looks worse than ever, etc..

And there is the unfortunate case where a HD transfer is technically very possible yet unlikely to happen. I certainly don't prefer Star Trek DS9 and VGR, Queer as Folk or Young Indiana Jones Chronicles on DVD, but the only alternatives would be watching them in streams or on TV, which are things for masochists, or don't watch them at all, thus I'll take the DVD.

On the other hand, I won't replace all DVDs I have with BD just for the sake of it. I prefer buying BDs of movies I don't have already. Of course, I replace DVDs if they look really bad or it is a movie I like to watch frequently. For instance, The Cube looks really bad on DVD, and 8 Mile has poor audio on PAL DVD.

I fully intend to replace my many DVDs with Blu-ray just as soon as my MegaMillions number wins a few million...but at $.40 per, my DVD blanks are right there in my budget, and the $2.00 to $7.00 BD ( 25 GB or 50GB) make those very high cost coasters when things do not go well.
Up converted DVD looks good and sounds good, but really ...if you have a 60-70" Flatscreen, Blu-ray is the best time...just add LOTS of money and let the good times roll!
Also, I am a series watcher, Star Trek TNG just came to stay (all the seasons) and I have 2 TB HDDs full of series on DVD (from LOTR to Dexter) and Blu-ray would be 3 to 6 times less with space being required for 20-32 GB per flick.
I do buy the mos' special movies in BD, like the Marvel series, and Christian Bale's Dark Knight series...need I mention Avatar? ...but good on ya if you have the capital to go with the best...

I have used AnyDVDHD for years and have stopped burning to discs, only storing on my over 18 TBs of HDDs and using my laptop to view it all on my Flatscreen...around 315+/- titles on a (actual space) 1.81 TB HDD makes for a seriously reduced space requirement...
Blu-ray on the HDD would be 60 max files on a 2 TB HDD...
And while Libraries are free to check out both Blu-ray and DVDs...patience is required (I am waiting for 3 months for my turn at GOT Season 5) it's nice to get used DVDs cheap for those titles hard to find (I still haven't found a working copy of Slaughterhouse 5) and Redbox brings joy with easy to get new titles a month or so after release.
We make do with what we got til something changes...I hope for millions but get by on hundreds!
LOL!
It's all good.

Why I like DVDs - the loading times are much faster and the iso rips needs less harddisk space.

On the very few Blues that i purchase, I do a test burn on a re-writeable first to avoid blowing up an expensive bdr.

Why I like DVDs - the loading times are much faster and the iso rips needs less harddisk space.
That's my reason cheaper DVD and I can make many copies as I need to protect the Original from damage. I don't use HDD space I use DVD only.
On the very few Blues that i purchase, I do a test burn on a re-writeable first to avoid blowing up an expensive bdr.
That is the problem BD mistakes aren't cheap compared to DVD mistakes. They are going down in price but that doesn't alway mean they are cheap to make mistake on.

Put this way my DVD player upscale DVD so they are just as good for me. I don't need all the extras that is the reason. DVD movies are just fine for me. Also cost and DRM restricted BD player are part of the problem. I got a Pre-2012 BD player so I have no DRM worries from BD movies. The DVD movies I play are just fine to watch-I am not a theater system as well so DVD are just fine also the cost makes a difference as well. Cost is one thing. A remastered movie in BD is the same as watching in DVD. There are very few block buster that I want in BD when DVD works just fine and cost less. I don't have a million dollar home entertainment system so I don't need all those eye candies.

I'm pretty much in this camp too.
Not to mention the YUUUUUGE (tm) savings in hard drive space.
-W

I'm pretty much in this camp too.
Not to mention the YUUUUUGE (tm) savings in hard drive space.
-W
I know also to get good Theater experience from BD one needs to spend $$ on equipment to reap the watching experiencing as well. Just a Big Screen isn't going to do it for you-other then burn a hole in the wallet. That is the other expense people forget til they start spending. I might upgrade to 32" from 24" but that is getting big already in my home movie watching experience and my eyes aren't young anymore... lol...

There are several things that I do with my collection of DVDs... and some with BRs.

I rip the entire DVD to VOB files, and that takes 4.5GB of space per... now, those that do not rip at 100% quality compression, do lose some of the picture quality.. particularly films such as LOTR, at or above the 2hr mark.. and even some movies that CloneDVD just doesn't allow for 100% due to, what I am guessing, is file structure? I have seen DVD movies at or about 1hr, 30min, 45min.. that show 100%, and others that show around 88 to 95%... same movie time length.

Now.. from there, I use those VOB files to create back up disks to be shown in the stand alone players.
From there, I also create mp4 files in two different sizes... standard 720 format, and 480 format for smart phones, tablets.. etc. 720 typically weigh in around 800MB, to just over 1GB. 480, from 500MB, to just around 800 or so.. give or take.

Now.. BR, on the other hand.. I've converted those to about 32GB... now, having said that.. they can also be compressed do to a measly 2GB for those keeping them for viewing using your computer, with very little visual quality loss.. .in the MKV format. I have several of those, in 1080p.. from 1.8GB, to around 2.2. I know it takes considerable amount of bandwidth, but for anyone who chooses to use cloud storage for their files, 2GB is way easier to upload, then 32!

So.. there are formats for viewing purposes only that do not take up that much space on drives.. keep in mind, viewing on computers.. the larger the screen, the more you may run into visual issues.

I have even converted BR from 32, down to 2GB with MKV.. and then converted to DVD at 4.5, for watching on TV.. just to see if it would work... works fine, I am not doing that on a regular basis mind you, but I got bored.

Enjoy!

There are several things that I do with my collection of DVDs... and some with BRs.

I rip the entire DVD to VOB files, and that takes 4.5GB of space per... now, those that do not rip at 100% quality compression, do lose some of the picture quality.. particularly films such as LOTR, at or above the 2hr mark.. and even some movies that CloneDVD just doesn't allow for 100% due to, what I am guessing, is file structure? I have seen DVD movies at or about 1hr, 30min, 45min.. that show 100%, and others that show around 88 to 95%... same movie time length.

For first time viewing - I just rip the entire DVD to the HTPC hard drive with my trusty Fox - no compression.
Any extras or trailers need to get watched from that also. Because..........
My next step (assuming the movies is worthy) is archiving it.
I rip the Main Movie only (with AC3-5.1 audio track) out of the "Fox-Rip" and compress it to 80% *
Then it gets filed away on my "cloud PC" with the big drives in it.
-W
* 80% was chosen because anything more and compression artifacts tend to be easy to see

Last edited:
Back