• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Which settings should I use for CloneDVD Mobile?

TheAviator7

I have a bunch of DVD .ISO's that I want to convert to a more compatible format. I am thinking MP4 (maybe MKV).

In case it matters I am still using CloneDVD mobile LTL version 1.9.0.1 and having purchased a new license (I do have a new LTL for AnyDVD HD though). Not sure if I can upgrade for free at the moment.

I am assuming something like this for the best quality possible (I prefer lossless if possible due to DVD's already being such low quality, but I don't want it to take 1.5 hrs either).

a) Generic MP4/AVC
b) Resolution 720x480
c) Video Quality (max)
d) This is where I have questions
  • Deinterlace video material (checked or unchecked)
  • 1 Pass
  • 2 Pass
  • 3 Pass
  • Produce separate chapter files (is this a file for each chapter?)(leaving this off are there still chapter markers within each movie?)

1. Which settings should I use for the best picture and sound? How compatible with players and devices are these settings for playback?
  2. MKV vs MPEG-4 benefits and compatibility
  3. Can I convert a max quality MP4 down to a lower quality later with CloneDVD mobile or is it more one and done kind of thing?
  4. Why can't ClondBD do DVD's? I know the structure is different and I know I could use CloneDVD mobile, but it takes forever.
  5. Why can't this process be faster? It takes 15-30 mins for CloneBD and 30 mins to 1 hour for a DVD using CloneDVD mobile (depending on passes).
  6. How do I convert TV shows into multiple files (not by chapter, but by episode)? Please don't tell me I have to do each episode one at a time and then set up the program again for the next episode on the same disc.

I also made a post about settings for CloneBD.
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/which-settings-should-i-use-for-clonebd.71276/

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
There are no plans atm for CDVDM to require a redfox license, not even when the upgraded encoding engine comes out. As said in the other topic about "best settings". There is no such things. Acceptable quality is subjective. If you want the best quality, no compression, no audio recoding, meaning if it's a full size dvd 9, you'll end up with an 5-8+GB MP4. Benefit's of mkv vs mp4. None, they're both just containers. The only difference is that mkv can have selectable subtitles where mp4 only supports hardcoded. Why can't CloneBD do DVD's? For the same reason CloneDVD or CloneDVD mobile can't do BD's. That's not what they're designed to do. The file structure of a DVD and BD are completely different. Why can't it be faster? Speed is depending on many factors most of which are your system, then there's the fact that hardware acceleration only got added in the last 2 versions for CloneBD. How do you do multiple episodes? Simple, select each title you want converted on the title selection screen and you're done. CDVDM will do the rest

Thank you for your answers.

What about
  • Deinterlace (checked or unchecked); what is it doing and how does it affect quality?
  • 1 Pass, 2 Pass, 3 Pass - How do these affect quality?
  • Why do you have to do multiple passes on DVD's, but not Blu-rays?

BTW here is my setup

Win 10 Pro x64
i7 3770K
16GB RAM
256GB Samsung Pro SSD
6TB WD HDD

wikipedia can answer about deinterlace. 1 pass = immediately encode to your target size, 2 pass = 1st pass analyzes the file for the optimal quality setttings for your target size, 2nd pass uses those in actual encode, 3rd pass is overkill really. Why not in blu-ray, because it's not needed due to the codec and bitrates used. BD's use a higher bitrate than really needed, so before quality even gets touched, the excessive bitrate is stripped. That by itself reduces the size. H264/X264 is a very efficient encoding engine.

Back