• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Which is better 8800 GTX 0r 8800 GTS

Nova935

My current system specs are - Dell 4700, P4 3.4ghz, 7600gt diamond plus, 2 gig of ram, cyberlink pwrdvd 7.3.3104a, xbox 360 drive, pioneer bdc 2202 blu ray drive, which I have connected to my 720p Sony 60" RPTV. I know my processor specs do not meet cyberlinks advisor requirements, but all HD DVDs play back almost perfectly ,with no choppiness what so ever and without ever crashing the computer. The picture quality is almost the same as my toshiba HDA1. My only issue is that on most of the new release HD DVDs since the Warriors HD DVD release, I can see an almost unnoticable "slight jitter" on scenes when a group of people are walking, running, fast action scenes, and movies such as Planet earth. It almost seems like the video card refresh rate is slightly too slow. On titles like Darkman, I do not have this problem. My processor usage during HD DVD playback is always at 45-60% so this leads me to believe that I need to upgrade to a better video card. If this is the case, which of the 8800gtx or the 8800gts are best sutable for HD playback. Maximum picture quality is my main goal. Will the 8800gtx with its 768 ram memory and 128 stream processors show huge difference than the 8800gts 640 ram memory and 96 stream processors, when watching it on my tv. I dont want to spend the extra money on a card when there really wouldnt be a significant difference is picture quality. I use my PC for home theater and do not plan to use it for gaming. BTW, I am planning a new PC build using a intel E6700 so I plan to use the new card on my new system too. Any advice from anyone who has experience with these cards would be highly apreciated, Thanks Curtis

I''m sure the 8800GTX would be a better performer.... BUT..... will it yield $150 worth of better performance than the 8800GTS?
Personally, I would give a serious look at the 8600GTS .
It's a $100 less than the 8800GTS and the clock speeds are better than the 8800GTS and GTX.
It all comes down to how much you want to spend. :)

the 8800 is better for gaming, but not for hdtv.
The 8600GTS is what you want for hdtv. If someone gives you the 8800GTS, you still want to go buy an 8600GTS.

If you're looking for HD playback, then the NVidia 8600 series or ATI 2600 series are the recommended choice. These series are designed for HD playback.

The 8800 series are designed more for the gamers. I have two 2600XT series in crossfire mode and CPU during playback of HD movies is roughly 10% to 25% on a Quad Proc. My 8800GTS in SLI Mode on a dual runs at 25% to 35%

Movies is mounted via DaemonTools across a GigE network.

And for comparison: Everything running stock - no overclocking. And with the 8600GTS, my cpu runs at 15-25% (usually less than 20%) on a E6700 core duo using XP (Vista would be ~10% with my setup, from what I've read).

Thanks to all for your ultra quick replies. From your input, I`ll be purchasing a 8600 video card. I narrowed my selections down to two versions. A 8600 GTS XXX extreme OC or the 8600 GT extreme OC. I can get the 8600 GTS for $60 more than the 8600 gt. Which would you recommend?. BTW I posted this same thread on cyberlinks forum and have yet had a single reply.
Slysoft product and its forum members rock!!!!

I am using the BFG 8600 GTS OC and I think it's worth the extra $60 for the speed. The card is solid and I have not had any hardware/software issue.

Thanks to all for your ultra quick replies. From your input, I`ll be purchasing a 8600 video card. I narrowed my selections down to two versions. A 8600 GTS XXX extreme OC or the 8600 GT extreme OC. I can get the 8600 GTS for $60 more than the 8600 gt. Which would you recommend?. BTW I posted this same thread on cyberlinks forum and have yet had a single reply.
Slysoft product and its forum members rock!!!!

If the warranty is the same and your budget allows for the extra $60.....get the GTS.

It looks like I`ll be purchasing the 8600 GTS. Thanks again for the recommendations. I`ll be placing my order this friday.

Back