• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Which firmware to use with my drives?

Fussybob

I have spent hours today reading the web and very confused on what versions to use on my drives.

My drives.........

Asus BW-16D1HT, I have 2 of them

LG WH16NS60, arriving tomorrow.

I have been using the 2 Asus drives for about a year and can rip UHD discs ok. I just want to update the firmware, if needed, to the one that will give me the best performance. I read and burn with them.

The new LG WH16NS60 will need to have the FW downgraded to work with UHD discs. I see V1.0 or V1.02 recommended, so which one should I choose?

will need to have the FW downgraded to work with UHD discs
If you install MakeMKV, you don't have to do that.

Other than that, look in this thread:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/firmware-recommendation-for-3-layer-discs.85225/
My personal experience is that LG WH16NS60 1.03 is the best firmware to rip 3-layer discs. You need to have Makemkv installed in parallel to AnyDVD.

I just want to update the firmware, if needed, to the one that will give me the best performance. I read and burn with them.
I heard that the 3.10 is the fastest for the Asus, but if you have read issues you should the 3.02/3. That is a bit slower, but more accurate.
@coopervid will tell you if I was wrong about this, maybe it was the 3.01. I cannot remember that and could not find the thread where it was mentioned.

Look into this thread for more information about flashing drives:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/guide-for-flashing-uhd-drives-for-anydvd.79023/

Everything DeepSpace wrote is correct. Just one thing: If you would want to work w/o the installation of Makemkv it doesn't help to downgrade your new BH16NS60. You would have to crossflash it to a friendly firmware like BH16NS55 or ASUS BW-16D1HT.

Personally I prefer to let AnyDVD work with Makemkv since official drives and their firmwares seem to work better with 3-layer discs.

Thank you both for the replies!

One Asus drive FW is 3.00, the other 3.10. The 3.00 seems to just read/rip quicker.

The LG from Amazon won't arrive until later today. From what I read in the current Amazone reviews it should be FW 1.03, it could also be 1.04. I assume that this needs FW downgrading. Am I wrong in assuming the FW will need to be downgraded to read UHD discs? I want to use the LG drive with Makemkv, Anydvd, and DVDfab software as I do with the current Asus drives.

The LG 16NS60 needs to be flashed before it works with any ripper. Don't confuse that with "downgrade". In the MK firmware pack you will find 1.02. I believe it has to be flashed to 1.00 to work with Fab. All other firmwares will also work with the combination Makemkv / AnyDVD. This 1.00 firmware is located in the OLD folder of the firmware pack.

OK, so it looks like I need to flash the LG to FW V1.00 as I use DVDfab mostly.

I normally use DVDfab's Drivetool to flash my drives, it uses their supplied FW. Is it wrong to use this tool?

Last edited:
An alternative is to cross-flash it to "friendly" like BH16NS55 or the ASUS firmwares you use. But with the 16NS60 firmware it should work better with 3-layer discs.

So if I use DVDfab's Drive Tool, flash it to their supplied 1.00 FW I should be good have the best possible outcome?

Link Removed
They use the LG WH16NS60 in the example.

One important question ----

If one screws up with a flash, can another flash be done? Are there certain flash version sequences that can be done, and others to avoid?

I will use the SDFtoolflasher.

I looked in the OLD FW folder and they only show......

HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.01-NM00100-211711202000.bin
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin

No V1.00 for the WH16NS60.

There is a............

HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BH16NS60-1.00-NM00500-211804030945.bin

Should this be used?

WH and BH codes are just used for drives with or w/o software goodies. I guess WH is bulk and BH is retail. So WH 1.00 is identical to BH 1.00.

But I found a BH16NS60 1.00 in the OLD folder.

WH and BH codes are just used for drives with or w/o software goodies. I guess WH is bulk and BH is retail. So WH 1.00 is identical to BH 1.00.

But I found a BH16NS60 1.00 in the OLD folder.

Is this the one to use as I listed in my post above yours.

Thanks for bearing with me ! I just want to get it correct....

Will this V1.00 still keep my WH16NS60 as a "Official" drive, and work with all software including AnyDVD and DVDfab?

Is this the one to use as I listed in my post above yours.

Thanks for bearing with me ! I just want to get it correct....

Will this V1.00 still keep my WH16NS60 as a "Official" drive, and work with all software including AnyDVD and DVDfab?
That's it. It will still be an "official" drive. I hope but don't know if it works with Fab. Don't they have a list of drives and firmwares?

To keep it short.......

Using SDFtoolflasher, I tried to flash to V1.00 and an error came up 0x82052603.
Tried a few times, same error.

I then flashed it to V1.01, it worked for MakeMKV and Anydvd, but would not work with DVDfab.

Tried V1.02 and 1.03, still no DVDfab use.

I then flashed to V1.00 using DVDfab Drive Tool and it worked for MakeMKV, Anydvd, and DVDfab.

I ripped a 3 layer UHD disc just fine.

I have Jurassic World Dominion that is sensitive to reading with the Asus drives and get an error or two, the LG would not read that disc at all.

I ripped and burned a standard blu-ray disc last night with the LG before I shut down and everything was fine.

This morning I tried reading a UHD disc with the LG and just all errors. Tried another UHD disc and won't read the disc. Tried a 1080P BD disc that I read and burned and it wouldn't even acknowledge that there is a disc of any format in the LG. Must be defective, returning the LG to Amazon for a replacement.

Last edited:
Drive quality sucks. As for your issue flashing no one bothered to tell you that you needed a DE version of the firmware to flash it with sdftool. When you get your replacement you'll need to flash the mk version of the firmware then you can use the DE version of 1.0 to downgrade it.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Are you saying that I should flash my replacement LG drive that will come most likely with the OEM V1.03 with V MK1.03, and then flash with V DE1.0? Where do I find the DE1.0 flash?

Will this allow me to use the drive with MakeMKV, AnyDVD , and any other ripping software as I now do with my 2 Asus BW-16D1HT drives?

The different flash versions, performance benefits of each version, proper sequence of flashing multiple versions as above, are all confusing to the little guy.

Someone like you, coopervid, MartyMcnu, MartyMcNuts, Billycar, etc. should put together a tabulated listing by drive model (there aren't that many) on what is the best firmware to currently use, what sequence of firmware versions to install if multiple FW must be installed, if the drive will then work with MakeMKV, Anydrive, Dvdfab, other rippers. Keep the listing at the top of the MakeMKV forum and update it regularly.

In cases like yours you should just ask before getting into panic mode. There are so many issues with SATA hardware chips, USB adapters that are not compatible it is impossible to cover everything. We all are most of the time online daily and you can also use PM for special issues.

Are you saying that I should flash my replacement LG drive that will come most likely with the OEM V1.03 with V MK1.03, and then flash with V DE1.0? Where do I find the DE1.0 flash?

Yes, that's what I'm saying, assuming you want version 1.0 firmware as an end goal. When I was running NS60 drives that's what I used. But the drive quality on LG drives absolutely sucks. ASUS is not any better. I use an LG BU40N and a PIONEER BD-212U these days. Neither drive gives me any problems.

As for the firmware, here's the one I created for my own drives using my firmware tool. Remember, MK firmware first, then DE firmware second.

Attachments

• DE_LG WH16NS60_1.00.bin.7z
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
coopervid - this is why I started the post, no panic, just looking what to do and what is the best LG FW to run DVDfab, AnyDVD, and MakeMKV. You and I both agreed to flash directly
to MK V1.0. I got an error when trying to flash multiple times to MK V1.0.

Now SamuriHL says that you need to flash with MK V1.03 FW first and then with DE V1.0 FW.

You two are experts, most of us others are not, as you can see there is confusion when you have two different procedures.

I thought the LG drive was going to be more reliable when reading problem discs, probably a wrong assumption now!

I downloaded your DE FW, what have you built into it that is different from other DE V1.0?

My first choice was the Pioneer, looks like they are almost non-existent for a new one.

I have to state again that my 2 Asus drives have worked great for a few years now They have ripped and burned every UHD disc I feed them until last week when I tried to rip
Jurassic World Dominion. One Asus gave 2 read errors, the other Asus had no errors. The rip plays great on my TV from a hard drive file, not so when I burn to BD50 discs, it hangs
at a certain point even when I ripped and burned many times. No hang if I turn off Dolby Vision in my Panansonic BD player. I said maybe the LG might solve this issue, so I'm giving it a try..........

Back